It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Falcon already in service?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I have wondered if the United States already has an Aerospace plane capable of traveling from New York to Tokyo in 2 hours. I have been hearing a lot about research, development, and that sort. However, i'm not hearing about the in production spacecraft. Reagan spoke about it in his 1986 State of the Union speech.

So, yes, this nation remains fully committed to America's space program. We're going forward with our shuttle flights. We're going forward to build our space station. And we are going forward with research on a new Orient Express that could, by the end of the next decade, take off from Dulles Airport, accelerate up to 25 times the speed of sound, attaining low Earth orbit or flying to Tokyo within 2 hours. And the same technology transforming our lives can solve the greatest problem of the 20th century. A security shield can one day render nuclear weapons obsolete and free mankind from the prison of nuclear terror. America met one historic challenge and went to the Moon. Now America must meet another: to make our strategic defense real for all the citizens of planet Earth.

Speech in entirety below:

www.c-span.org...

More links to our new toy below:

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I think that the next big thing they'll introduce in the market are scramjet-powered planes, but that's not for now... the industry seems to be very slow into introducing radical new technologies, all they've been doing for the last 30 years is making slight improvements on old technologies, mainly in terms of safety and fuel economy.

Unless Boeing decides to use hypersonic crafts as a wild card for taking back the first rank in commercial aircrafts production that Airbus has taken a few years ago, we won't see any of these fast crafts on the market in the next 10 years.

[edit on 3/1/06 by Echtelion]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
Unless Boeing decides to use hypersonic crafts as a wild card for taking back the first rank in commercial aircrafts production that Airbus has taken a few years ago, we won't see any of these fast crafts on the market in the next 10 years.

Actually 2005 marks the first time in 4 years that Boeing is once agian #1 in commercial airplane sales. And we won't see hypersonic commercial airplanes in service till 2030-2040, if at all. Because some say the price to develope a fleet of those would cost too much for a manufacturer. Personally I think we'll only see Mach 1-3 commercial airplanes.

join