It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Military support for President George W. Bush is declining.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Its Important to note that this Military times post poll is NOT of the whole Military.

In the 2004 poll they send out 6000 poll invites to SUBscribors and received about 1500 replys, mostly from Officers.

Yes so decide for yourself if 1500 people is representive enough of the US military.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This is being covered at PTS also.
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

If you look at who they were talking to, it should give you pause.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Yea, I have a few buds in Iraq who echo similar sentiments. Out of 5 friends who have been to the Mideast, only one still supports his "boss", and he is kinda crazy. He is one of those stereotypical crazy person marines. I am pretty sure if they didnt ship him off he would have hurt someone here, so I hardly count his vote. I love the guy like a brother, but he couldnt tell you the fundamental differences between Dems and Reps.
On that same note, they signed up for "service", not political science. Being able to grit your teeth and do a job like this despite personal beliefs is very admirable.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
We are a peaceful nation. We are the "melting pot." We dont conquer nations. This administration doesnt speak for most of us.

Excellent post!
Way Above.

I'm actually sad about this report. It's one thing for the soldiers to be so involved in a war in a foreign, hostile arena and all that goes with that, but it's quite another to not support the reason, the commander, the policy, the whole cause or motivation for being in that war. Every day is an extra struggle against one's own personal views and integrity. It can tear a person apart.

Great discussion.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I gotta say, if I was a soldier, I wouldn't support this administration either. I would do my job though. You don't have to approve of the war to fight in it as a soldier. Understanding and agreement are not pre-requisites of compliance. If that were the case the entire military would grind to a halt and the whole concept of a command structure would be rendered meaningless.

That's the reality of being a soldier. You fight, and die, on another man's say-so. It's not the place of soldiers to question the motivation behind the decisions of their commanders. A soldier's job is to fight well, and follow orders, you don't have to know WHY you're pulling the trigger, you just have to know HOW.

If you don't want to fight in unpopular wars, don't be a soldier. Most wars are unpopular. History has my back on this I think. I do believe it's necessary to take the job seriously though, and that's precisely why I'm not a professional soldier. I would rather fight for my own ideals, rather than those my nation's leaders pay lip-service to, but clearly ignore nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Yea, It is tearing a few of them apart. Especially the more religeously inclined ones. There is great honor in doing a duty for your country despite your personal morals, but sanctity of life outweighs even country.
I havent joined because I think we have all been mislead. I am not even conviced 100% that 9/11 wasnt atleast partly an inside job, or allowed to happen.
I live in a city where our problems in my backyard outweigh my compassion for anyone else. I see so many of my own people victims of poverty, drug abuse, and complete disregard by our leadership. I firmy believe in cleaning your own house before you help someone clean theirs.

So many of us have been desensitized to the injustice we see here at home everyday.
Indifference is one of the worlds greatest evils...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join