It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you want to live for 500 years??!! Check this out!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
TPL

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
With a few hundred years at my disposal i could take over the world!

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
If you really sit down and think about it, 500 years isn't that long.

You have people living to be 75-80 years old today and that's only 1/6th-1/7th of 500 years. Just look at it this way, a child of lets say 6 years is only 1/6th of the age of of some one who's 36 and 36 is still a "young'un". in my opinion.

Take Yoda for instance. I know that he's a science-fiction character, but if you were to ask him if he thought he was old he'd probably say that he's still got a lot to see and do. How old is he? 800 or something like that?

500 years! I could stand on my head for 500 years and not think nothing of it.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Seems like in the United States the population of those who live for their personal pleasure and justify that kind of life style as survival of the fittest qwest is very large and powerful (as well as boring, obnoxious and generally useless). Do you want these folks to stick around for 500 years?

If you believe that life is a gift to use to better yourself and others, why would you need 500 years to do that?

If you are not a grown up yet, you may want to not rush to answer this question, because sometimes our wishes have a tendency to come true.

[edit on 9-1-2006 by Marbusse]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Originally posted by SecretMuffinNinja
First of all it was after Moses. He lived to 400 or something crazy. Secondly the only reason men like him lived that long was to carry out God's work. Im not sure about everyone living to those ages tho. You are prob right.

ShaZam! You're right.

It was after Moses! So what happened? Why did man's days shorten? Did things just get more complicated and stressful?
\\

I'm not quite sure really, I guess it just wasn't necessary for people to live that long anymore. Ill ask one of my really religious friends and get back to you.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
EastCoastKid you were right afterall. Moses DID have a really long life compared to the people around him, but the overall population of earth had really long lives before the Great Flood. It was a curse of the flood that shortened our lifespan. THis goes against the theory of evolution because accourding to that early man lived only to the age of 18!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I would love the technology to live 500years+, BUT, I would want the technology to extend life in such a way that I can effectively turn "on" or "off" the extended life at whim. ie: If I reached 120, and decided that I'd seen and done all I wanted, then, turn the "life extension" off, and age naturally so I don't have to spend another few hundred years bored off my skull, and aren't driven to suicide just to escape it all.

Imagine how much wisdom you could build up in 500years...imagine if einstien had lived that long, how quickly technology would advance, how much knowledge we would build up..

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
It might be something I'd do if only I or just me and at most 2 other people would live that long while everyone else just lived normal current lifespans. That plus the part about living it in perfect health might prove worth the experience, depending upon what 500 year block of time we're talking about too.
I think given everything above but living 500 years of the dark ages or something would sway me back to the side of "early retirement" however.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
Imagine how much wisdom you could build up in 500years.....

Read my posts.. and "The Vampire Lestate" by Ann Rice. You won't wanna live that long!

But while we're at it...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The real question is... what the heck will we do that 500 years?!

---

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Aubrey rubs me the wrong way though i can't put my finger on why. As for living for 500 years. . . . why the hell not. It would be interesting to see civilization in 2510. . .

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The good doctor DID touch on the scientific details somewhat. He theorized that all the junk that builds up in our body is what causes aging symptoms. Clear out the junk (nanites, gene-therapy, etc.) in a maintenance manner and the body won't show signs of aging.

He's also not a charlatan. A character, maybe but he's actually proving his point. He's 3 years into his research (testing phase on mice) and the mice are still alive. Apparently mice normally live for 2 to 2.5 years.

The Bible does talk about the new Jerusalem where someone dying at 100 years old will be considered "a child".

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well the main point was that IGF-1 growth hormone also causes aging. So the "smaller" animal relative to the animal's own species will live longer. This makes sense -- so all those muscle maniacs will just die earlier. Sounds good to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join