It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chuckles challenge. Mel Brooks vs Monty Python vs The Zuckers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Who's the funniest?

This is a toughie imo. These are the greats of comedy.

Mel Brooks- Young Frankenstien, Blazzing Saddles, Spaceballs, many more.

Monty Python- The Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Meaning of Life.

The Zuckers- Airplane(best comedy imo) and #2, Scary Movie3, Naked Gun movies and many more.

These guys defined comedy, who's the best?

Interesting thing, all of these filmmakers also worked in the TV medium. No comedy collection can be without any of these guys. Can there be a "best"?

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   

These guys defined comedy, who's the best?

Although I've never seen anything from Mel Brooks I can say from the remaining choices its not difficult in the slightest...Monty Python all the way.

In fact a while ago now me and some friends did a few of their sketches for a school gig type thing, there were bands and then me and my fine bunch of friends who did a few pieces under the name Not my Python (clever huh).

If you were wondering we ended up doing, story time, self-defence against fresh fruit, hungarian phrase book and the pet shop (parrot) sketch.
Thankfully I only really had a part to play in self-defence against fresh fruit, although I was also the judge in the later half of the hungarian phrase book sketch.

And then theres this:

external image

(sadly I'm not a beer man myself but I drank it none the less
)

[edit on 2-1-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Actually I listening to the Holy Grail right now. Brave Sir Robin. "He bravely chickened out".

Edit to add: You really have to check out Mel Brooks stuff, he's funny as hell.

[edit on 2-1-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Monty Python is the best of the lot
Nee!, Nee! Now begone before I taunt you again (or something like that).

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Mel Brooks, Blazing Saddles.. hands down!

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'd rate them:

1) Zuckers
2) Mel Brooks
3) Monty Python

Naked Gun is hard to beat. The part where he's hanging off the side of the building by a male statue's *clears throat* johnson. And the then he pulls himself up by it with his mouth open.
Then that lady sticks her head out the window and sees him and it looks like he's....................

Peace

edit: wait, I remember now. The lady doesn't stick her head out the window,but instead he breaks off that piece of the statue and appears in her window with it and he's moaning, acting like he's going to assault her with it. Then she screams.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I don't think I could rate Brooks or Monty Python one over the other. They're both hysterical in their own way. I'm reminded of Mel Brooks' distinction between tragedy and comedy-
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall in an open sewer and die".

That always cracks me up.

Monty Python - hilarious. The tv show and the movies.

Not to obfuscate the topic, but the Coen Brothers have to be included for me. Their "Raising Arizona" and "The Big Lebowski" may be at the top of my all-time comedies list.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Not to obfuscate the topic, but the Coen Brothers have to be included for me. Their "Raising Arizona" and "The Big Lebowski" may be at the top of my all-time comedies list.

Also the Farrely Brothers. Kingpin when he milked the cow and it was really a bull.

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Man, that's a toughie....

I'm going with the Zuckers, for sheer nonstop comedy all the way through...

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   
In comedy terms the Pythons and Mel brooks are very close.

The Pythons outraged more people so they have to win by the merest of noses

The Zucker stuff is amusing but nothing more

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I can't do it, 'Trep; it would be like saying you love one of your children over the others. I just can't do it!

top topics

join