It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bias In Institutions of Higher Learning

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The assumptions of Left-leaning bias in the media has long been an issue, and extends for an even longer period towards bias presented by and taught in American colleges. Recent findings have shed some light on this very issue.

www.frontpagemag.com
This report on political bias at 32 elite colleges and universities is the third in a series conducted by the Center for the Study of Popular Culture and researched by Andrew Jones.

Methodology

The Center generated a list of 32 elite colleges and universities. We included the entire Ivy League, premier liberal arts colleges like Amherst and Pomona, well-known technically-oriented universities like MIT, highly competitive public institutions like the University of California at Berkeley, and other elite private universities like Stanford. We compiled lists of tenured or tenure-track professors of the Economics, English, History, Philosophy, Political Science and Sociology departments - choosing these because they teach courses focusing on issues affecting the society at large. We compared these lists to the voter registration lists of the counties or states in which the colleges were located, and attempted to match individual names.

We selected party registration for our study because other indices of bias would be highly subjective. The meanings of “liberal” and “conservative” are notoriously indeterminate, reflecting as much the prejudices of the cataloguer as they would the preferences of those being studied. Although the terms “Republican” and “Democrat” may seem inappropriate in the context of academic pursuits, they have the advantage of reflecting the self-identifications of the individuals under scrutiny and they are clearly identifiable.

Moreover the terms “Republican” and “Democrat” can reasonably be said to reflect a predictable spectrum of assumptions, views and values that affect the outlooks of Americans who finance, attend, administer and teach at these educational institutions. This is why we chose them. It is not our intention to suggest that there should be quotas based on party affiliation in the hiring process at universities. Rather it is our purpose to discover whether there is a grossly unbalanced, politically shaped selection process in the hiring of college faculty. While recognizing the limitations imposed on our study, we believe the figures recorded in this report make a prima facie case that there is.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I submit that it would be a good idea if, before you choose a college to give your hard-earned dollars to, for either yourself or, more importantly, if you are paying the way of your child, you go to their website and see what courses of study they offer. Red flags should go up if you see anything like "Liberal Arts", "Gender Studies" or "Diversity 101." Of course these might sound like innocent things, or even something to which you are attracted to. But in the end they have little effect on the quality of the education offered, or the likelyhood that those issues will serve you well in your chosen career, or if it will elevate the likelyhood of attaining a decent job.

Related News Links:

www.studentsforacademicfreedom.org
orient.bowdoin.edu

[edit on 2-1-2006 by zappafan1]

[edit on 2-1-2006 by zappafan1]

[edit on 1/3/06 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
You know I don't get what you mean with this, bias or not bias conservative or liberal views.

Does it matter once a child is 18 years old he or she can pretty much make their own mind specialy when they chose to get higer education.

Colleges and University are full with difference views and different thoughts coming more from the diversity of students and extra curriculum activities.

Just because a teacher is a Republican or Democrat, liberal or conservative it doesn't affect the character of the student that is more affected by the closes group of friends he will interact while away from home.

Beside home is where education start anything else is just life experiences.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   

The figures contained in this report are indicators of a problem; they make no claim to definitively identify that problem.

This would only be possible with greater resources than are available to the Center or with the cooperation of the institutions themselves.

Source Link Provided In above Post

The Biased Source admits that this is not a complete or reliable study to start with!

And to surmise the 'problem' they feel to have identified.... That not many Proffessors and Faculty Members are Republican.... well thats sociology not politics anyhow...... Highly intelligent caring people choose to nuture and pass on knowledge to the youth....

If you looked at all the people of equal acedemic success who now work in the military industrial complex after leaving Academia...
(i.e. More scientist worldwide now work within The Military or related research than any other employer!)
well a similair and even full complete research project, would find the same or similair leanings to the republicans within that industry.

Hey lets look at a study of Nurses verses Marines.... same would happen

My Vote No Bias!

Regards

Elf

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Ok, let me take this all in. Center for the Study of Popular Culture:

The Center is led by its President, David Horowitz a man who has been called the lefts most brilliant and articulate nemesis, who is suited both by experience and dedication to the task at hand.

Today the Center has 40,000 contributing supporters and an online journal, FrontPage Magazine, which is visited 1.7 million times a month and is linked to 2,064 other websites according to the web rating service, Alexa.com. In the last year alone, the Center has distributed half a million books and pamphlets on the war on terror, the Middle East crisis and the anti-American left.

did a study, and found a left-wing bias!

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I have this problem with a few of my professors at WCU, not an elite university but it is still a university no less. They go off topic in class to go on rants about the Bush Administration, I mean dont get me wrong they are free to their opinion, but its not the right place to be discussing it. Even those who agree with him dont like the fact that he is taking away our class time to go on a political tantrum. These two professors are still some of my favorites because they are very intelligent and funny guys(and very fair), but the classroom is not a place to do such things. Ive been in my major for two years now, and have had these two professors for 60% of my classes, it just amazes me how they can always find a way to bring up Bush when were talking about criminological and correctional theories. But I will give it to them, they know what my opinions are and it hasnt ever affected my grade or anything, like I said they are fair.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
My daughter refers to the bias in the classroom not only to political issues but a lot of gender issues.

She has never experienced before any political topics per say due that she is a science major but her roommates that are in social science tells her that most of the teachers had very open views on social issues do to the fact that they are mostly heterosexuals.

But like my daughter their views just add more variety to the class and a different perspective, she also feels that her mind is her and is up to her to make her own opinions.

She also told me that her last semester evolutionary genetic teacher was a Christian and he never attacked Darwin and never influenced any of them with religious connotations.

BTW she is in UGA, go Dawgs

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Red flags should go up if you see anything like "Liberal Arts"

You do realize the term "Liberal Arts" has nothing to do with the political ideology, yes? It simply means a broad-based course of study.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Xmotex is right, absolutely.

However...

Maybe it's a coincidence, but in my eight years of higher education I can't recall a single politically vocal Republican professor. I can, unfortunately, remember literally dozens of professors who used their classrooms as a soapbox for the purpose of pimping the Democratic party.

I find it patently offensive, and a complete waste of class time.

Just as an example, one semester I had two vocal Marxists, a staunch environmentalist democrat, and a rabid feminist. Wow. I don't remember any of the curriculum, but I can certainly recall the ridiculous lengths these so-called professionals would go to, just for the purpose of diverting the discussion towards politics, and specifically, Bush-bashing.

For the record I think the POTUS is intellectually impotent, unfit for the fry-o-lator, and should probably have been put out to pasture when the alcohol finally pickeled his brain. But, that's besides the point. Think whatever you want, but for God's sake, leave that baggage at home when you go to work. It's a job. So do it.

This has been a friendly reminder for all professors who are politically vocal, brought to you by the Wyrdeone.

Enough is enough when Bush starts stealing the conversation in every class from Chaucer to World Religions (both examples stolen from personal experience).

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Come on, do we really want the right teaching our children about how Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs to church? And there is no 'left' in the media or universities. It's just that some people are so far right, that anything in the center, normal human thought, is going to look left.

Ever wonder why all of those right-wing, republican appointed Supreme court judges, start leaning towards the center after a while? It drives the Freepers crazy! LOL I think it's because when you begin to open your mind, like a Supreme court judge has to do, or a colleg professor, you free your mind from narrow mindedness. The same kind of narrow mindedness that paints everything other than your opinion 'left' and 'liberal'.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Moving this to Education & Media.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I agree with the premise of the first poster in this thread. Colleges are notoriously liberal. Whats worse this is working its way down to the high school level. People versed in propaganda and indoctrination techniques know that it works best on people who are young. Their brains are more unguarded by experience.
Also for those of you who arent aware of this very concept and will accept anything in colleges...it went so far as to accept professors in Florida who were advocating and backing violence against other nations for the Palestenian cause. This is what happened in the Florida University some years back. This professor was using his classroom and cirriculum openly for this type of brainwashing. As I recall it was only when this was reported publically that anything was done about it.
The education system in this nation is a very cloistered enviornment. It does not reflect the values of much of the American public. This is obvioius. People can afford this kind of thinking when in cloistered enviornments but when you have to get out in the real world and make a living often taking huge risks..even with your life and safety ..the values instilled in colleges and high schools get tempered in reality. Those who dont understand this concept ...are those who work in occupations which afford them a continuance of this safety net to cushion them from the reality many of us out here experience.

I believe what Zappfan is getting at is exactly this ..that the education system does not reflect the values of the whole American public. Just a portion of it..a specific portion. This is only possible if you expect by design ,buy default, to steer the a generation in a certain direction. It is obvious to me that being cloistered is essential to this dogma.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   

The education system in this nation is a very cloistered enviornment. It does not reflect the values of much of the American public.

Thank God for that. The situation in this country would be ten times worse if the 'values' of the American public were official curriculum.

Shopping 101
Purchasing 202
Spending 303
AP Hypocrisy

To Hell with that. I don't like the current situation much, but I balk at teaching American values. They're all hollow, lip-service paid, nostalgia fostered, all a steaming crock of poo. There were no good old days, and we have no meaningful values as a society (individuals are a different matter entirely).

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
lol lol Wyrde One..I agree with your assessment of the public. They were educated mostly in public schools too and many did not get over it.

I would like to add to your list..

ESPN
MTV
VH1

I dont agree with alot of this too.
Some of us got over this value system long ago. Schools dont teach the idea that you need to be able to define yourself outside of what you consume or the fashion of the day. This is a point I made in other boards many times. Many schools do teach us how to define ourselves by exactly what I described and the fashion of the day..especially emotionally..not thinkingly. Young people are very vulnurable to this programming before they even know it is happening.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

You do realize the term "Liberal Arts" has nothing to do with the political ideology, yes? It simply means a broad-based course of study.

REPLY: That used to be true......

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

The education system in this nation is a very cloistered enviornment. It does not reflect the values of much of the American public.

Thank God for that. The situation in this country would be ten times worse if the 'values' of the American public were official curriculum.

Shopping 101
Purchasing 202
Spending 303
AP Hypocrisy

To Hell with that. I don't like the current situation much, but I balk at teaching American values. They're all hollow, lip-service paid, nostalgia fostered, all a steaming crock of poo. There were no good old days, and we have no meaningful values as a society (individuals are a different matter entirely).

REPLY: I could be wrong but I don't think you're old enough to remember anything of the "good old days."

If you were a teacher, what values woul;d you teach, and what curriculum would you use to back up your beliefs?

By the way..... what do you mean "we". If our values as a society are so bad then why do people die to try and get here? I don't think I want to know (ir I may already know) what your values are.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

The figures contained in this report are indicators of a problem; they make no claim to definitively identify that problem.

This would only be possible with greater resources than are available to the Center or with the cooperation of the institutions themselves.

Source Link Provided In above Post

The Biased Source admits that this is not a complete or reliable study to start with!

And to surmise the 'problem' they feel to have identified.... That not many Proffessors and Faculty Members are Republican.... well thats sociology not politics anyhow...... Highly intelligent caring people choose to nuture and pass on knowledge to the youth....

If you looked at all the people of equal acedemic success who now work in the military industrial complex after leaving Academia...
(i.e. More scientist worldwide now work within The Military or related research than any other employer!)
well a similair and even full complete research project, would find the same or similair leanings to the republicans within that industry.

Hey lets look at a study of Nurses verses Marines.... same would happen

My Vote No Bias!

Regards

Elf

The problem is, and I've seen it first hand, too, is that those "... Highly intelligent caring people choose to nuture and pass on knowledge" are doing nothing of the sort in too many areas of academe. They teach what THEY think things should be like.

Don't you find it odd that only 4 or 5 colleges require a passing grade in American history? And guess what.... they're all military colleges.

One cannot know where they're going if they have no idea of where they've been.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by zappafan1

Can you give an example? Maybe pick what you believe is a 'liberal' college, and show us why xmotex's statement is no longer true? Maybe show some of the courses that an AA in 'liberal arts' requires, that are not 'right' enough?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
People are flocking to get here because of the ease and affluence we have in every day living compared with alot of other countrys. Particulary a standard of security compared to from whence they came.
This difference in standards does not necessarily make us a better people...precisely for the reasons you state in one of your posts. We often dont know where we come from. Hence how can we know where we are going. We can however live in the fast food lane of lifes experience..going around and around in circles. High speed...and not know the difference.

It is intresting and disgusting to help people I have known when they can't make it or have problems out in the real world..making and maintaining themselves. Those I have moved in here to help....often when thier basic needs are taken care of by someone else...are so provincial in their thinking and beliefs..they quickly divert to the important things in life once someone takes care of their basic needs...how to have fun and zest in life.
Many of these people quickly tend to consume much of what you produce while spending thier non consuming time in discovering where to have fun and entertainment. They are good consumers..not thinkers. Most of them dont help much with the basics. This is why they had problems in the first place.
There are some understandings missing in thier perception of how things really are ..verses how they think things should be. This is a huge gulf.
When I finally told my brother he had to leave I was not supporting him anymore...He was resentful..as if this was a entitlement. Amazing how with some people they can logically and reasonably take things to the next step in entitlements. It was the same thing with two others I helped. Obviously I gave up on this after three..I figured this was the limit.
Do public school and colleges address this kind of thinking and perception??
Where and when did we go in education, values, and thinking from the you earn it and work for it to the we deserve thinking. Where does this fingerprint come from? I see this across the board in many things ..especially politics..the entitlement mentalty. I have not seen the media cover this line of thought nor education. Where is the value in this other than to pimp for votes.?? Also ...pimping for votes is exactly what is happeing in many colleges..and not on a level playing field. Especially the more liberal institutions. Where is the value in this???

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Originally posted by zappafan1

Can you give an example? Maybe pick what you believe is a 'liberal' college, and show us why xmotex's statement is no longer true? Maybe show some of the courses that an AA in 'liberal arts' requires, that are not 'right' enough?

A link provided, www.studentsforacademicfreedom.org...
gives stories concerning some information.

As for mentioning a few (I'm a centrist by the way, as are most who are called "far right"). UC Berzerkley... U. Wisconsin Madison and Stevens Point; Cornell would be a good start

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
".... People are flocking to get here because of the ease and affluence we have in every day living compared with alot of other countrys. Particulary a standard of security compared to from whence they came."

REPLY: That's completely true, except maybe for the "ease" part; ask anyone who is self-employed. Successful people usually work 50 - 60 hours per week, or did in the beginning.

".... This difference in standards does not necessarily make us a better people...precisely for the reasons you state in one of your posts. We often dont know where we come from. Hence how can we know where we are going. We can however live in the fast food lane of lifes experience..going around and around in circles. High speed...and not know the difference."

REPLY: Not knowing where one comes from is the result of efforts in our public schools for the past 30 years.

It's the ideals and principles of this country, including economic policy and belief in liberty and freedom, that make our society as a whole a "better people. Those are the things that draw most immigrants.... the rest come here because of what you mention in the paragraph below, and those Marxist social programs need to be stopped

".... It is intresting and disgusting to help people I have known when they can't make it or have problems out in the real world..making and maintaining themselves. Those I have moved in here to help....often when thier basic needs are taken care of by someone else...are so provincial in their thinking and beliefs..they quickly divert to the important things in life once someone takes care of their basic needs...how to have fun and zest in life.
Many of these people quickly tend to consume much of what you produce while spending thier non consuming time in discovering where to have fun and entertainment. They are good consumers..not thinkers. Most of them dont help much with the basics. This is why they had problems in the first place."

There are some understandings missing in thier perception of how things really are ..verses how they think things should be. This is a huge gulf.
When I finally told my brother he had to leave I was not supporting him anymore...He was resentful..as if this was a entitlement. Amazing how with some people they can logically and reasonably take things to the next step in entitlements. It was the same thing with two others I helped. Obviously I gave up on this after three..I figured this was the limit.

REPLY: You did the right thing.

".... Do public school and colleges address this kind of thinking and perception??
Where and when did we go in education, values, and thinking from the you earn it and work for it to the we deserve thinking. Where does this fingerprint come from? I see this across the board in many things ..especially politics..the entitlement mentalty. I have not seen the media cover this line of thought nor education. Where is the value in this other than to pimp for votes.?? Also ...pimping for votes is exactly what is happeing in many colleges..and not on a level playing field. Especially the more liberal institutions. Where is the value in this???

REPLY: Yes... all levels of education are addressind it, by being the cause of the problem by teaching things like "outcome-based" education, and "situational ethics", which is the root cause of all the issues you mention.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join