It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution of Human. Whats next?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Sometimes, being that we are living in this age, we forget how far we have come as humans during the past 100 years. The advances that we have made in this short amount of time is nothing less than staggering, if we just take a step back and look at the big picture of human evolution.

My question to you all is,
where do you see, or hope to see, the human race in the next 10 years. Please, let’s keep this civil and let’s disregard any possible 2012 scenarios or doomsday scenarios. I'd like to open a discussion of the positive possibilities of human rather than our destructive side.

I'll start.
I think that it is a very real possibility, if not unavoidable, that in the next 10 years or so, our evolution as human through the overwhelming amount of information that we have access to, is going to lead us to a redefinition of what is means to be human.
If I were asked of the single thing that made us human, I would, without a doubt say that is our consciousness, our ability to create thought or perceive thought. Whether you believe that our consciousness is only a mere byproduct of the workings of our brain, or if you believe, as I do, that our consciousness is the very soul that all religions speak of. Either way, I think that this aspect of us is in for an awakening, or evolution, very soon.
As I mentioned earlier, the last 100 years has proven to be very interesting in just the scientific framework. As knowledge builds upon knowledge, the advances being made are only going to grow exponentially. I know for a fact that if the internet did not exist, I would be a lot less diversified in the knowledge that I have. I sometimes wonder if I would be the same person that I am now if there was never such as thing as the internet...Just think about all the information that you have found online and how that has changed your life?!!? One of the interesting areas that I’ve been looking at is the area of physics and how that relates to our consciousness. Many people have already been looking at this relationship, as you know if you've seen What the Bleep Do We Know, but I don't think the majority of people fully appreciate the implications that quantum physics, as well as super-string and other theories, mean for our being.
If, in the next 10 years, super string is validated, and quantum theory is full accepted as being the norm, we must accept the fact that the world indeed is holographic, and we are, rather our consciousness is, the creator of this holographic world that we live in. There is no loophole around this. It would be as "real" as the sun and moon and you and me.

Given this knowledge, how would you create your life? Once this knowledge has permeated through all of society, how would we behave as humans? What would you do today? Personally, I don't know where I’d start.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
i strongly belive that the more the general public rely on our technology the more devolved they will become and only the tecnicians and people in the know will prevail.

science has shown that our backs our becoming straighter so mabe we may even be taller as well.

i would expect that physically with no more labour intensive work we will become more weaker.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I belive the next majour stage would be to increse the use of the brain weither that be through the use of technologey or not we are still to see. The ultimate evolunary step would be to assend ie. to shed the need for a physical body and to just be a mass of energy. thats just my oppinion, probably wrong though.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Here is a version of the future of Human development.

Networked minds in a hive like society
Humans genetically modified for life on extraterrestrial colonies
AIs
Evolved chimps with voice-boxes
and
Cyborgs

All of the above will probably happen at some point within the next century.

[edit on 3-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Fortunately/unfortunately, human evolution is not so simple. It has many different aspects to it.

For one, there's Human Physical Evoltuon. It's how we change in terms of biology. Will we become stronger? Weaker? More resilient to disease? Less resilient? This type of evo. is dependant on all the others, but is also the slowest to take place (hundreds of thousands of years - half a million years - for even minor changes). Since all the others fluctuate so rapidly, this could mean that we are more or less stuck in roughly the same position, and will be for a long time.

Then there's also Human Technological Evolution. It's how we are able to change our environments and ourselves to suit our needs. This is things like the computer, the internet, medical drugs, therapies, and so on. This evo. is independant of the other evo.s, and is also the fastest changing. In fact, it's so wide, varied, and fast that it's impossible to really know where we'll be in 100 years technology-wise, let alone the time it takes for regular evo. to take place.

There's also Human Cultural Evolution. This is based on the old ways and the new tech. Culture is a powerful tool that mankind uses to push itself into superiority. In fact, our ancestors likely formed communities by hunting together, and the first wars likely came from lack of food and other basic resources. Human culture is also heavily influenced by technology, and is often challenged by it. This has meant that culture attempts to evolve at a fast past like technology, but is always held back by those that believe the old ways to be right (whether they are or not is always open to debate). Culture is the most important though, as it becomes the moral grounds over which we pave the roads of our future.

All three of these are important to ask and question.

So, physically, I believe that the world's rich nations will become more "specialized". This will not be a product of physical evolution, but a product of diet. Those who do not require excersize or physical labour will more or less atrophy, and become fatter, or will eat less to stay thin. The latter would be better, as less food consumption will do everyone lots of good.

Techologically we will likely become more computer dependant, and will start placing computers and programs into our every-day lives at an amazing extent. The real climax of learning and change will come when all information is passed through a free, global net, so almost anything can be accessed from almost anywhere with ease. Programs will also become more sophisticated, and very "user-friendly" interfaces and programs will come out, with an increasing amount that are "smart" (able to make programmed alterations to normal functions by anazlyzing user's habits).

Culturally, I would hope that we become more information-based ourselves, and the in-thing will continue to be communication and information (look at the direction cell-phones have gone in). Computers, electricity, and communication will bring people closer together. A cool thing that might happen could be electronic tattoos that could change patterns or colours depending on certain chemical stimulants, so that you could have a tattoo that would be an Angel at one point, and a Skull at the next moment. Perhaps holographic tattoos (like on bank card's, the holographic image that looks 3-d).

Anyways, those are my thoughts.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Then there's also Human Technological Evolution. It's how we are able to change our environments and ourselves to suit our needs. This is things like the computer, the internet, medical drugs, therapies, and so on. This evo. is independant of the other evo.s, and is also the fastest changing. In fact, it's so wide, varied, and fast that it's impossible to really know where we'll be in 100 years technology-wise, let alone the time it takes for regular evo. to take place.

You forgot about Implants and Genetics. Those will effect all three types of evolution in the long run IMO.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is an excellent and well written thread posting eXphon. That aside, I have to comment that I don't believe that the next ten years or even the next hundred years will see much human evolvement. Evolution is a slow process. On the other hand, our society, technology and science has evolved and will continue to evolve at a breakneck pace. I can only hope that human intellect and reason can keep abreast with these developments and that we are able to use the information and technologies developed to this point with wisdom and foresight.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by klain
i strongly belive that the more the general public rely on our technology the more devolved they will become

A great example of this is wisdom teeth extraction - since we have dentists perform this surgery on much of the population, resulting in more people with wisdom teeth to live to reproduce, there is little evolutionary pressure on the human genome to weed out this trait.

The human jaw has become smaller and smaller over the course of human evolution, yet the genetic code controlling the number of teeth in our mouth has only been adjusted for the reduced jaw size in a fraction of the population.

Increased medical technology actually reduces our evolutionary change.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
This is an excellent and well written thread posting eXphon. That aside, I have to comment that I don't believe that the next ten years or even the next hundred years will see much human evolvement. Evolution is a slow process. On the other hand, our society, technology and science has evolved and will continue to evolve at a breakneck pace.

That would be true for natural evolution. We will take control of that process for good or for ill(probably both and everywhere in between) within this century. Near term all we'll see is the weeding out of genes pre-natally that are significant contributors to certain disorders. We can perform gender selection procedures and soon will have the ability to influence just about every aspect of the Human body through various Genetic and Cybernetic technologies.

I can only hope that human intellect and reason can keep abreast with these developments and that we are able to use the information and technologies developed to this point with wisdom and foresight.

We will be increasing our intellect and memory functions exponentially in the coming decades. The first signs of it are already here. Memory implants are being worked on to help with Demetia and Alzheimers. Implants are used for certain medical conditions such as Diabetes and Sudden onset Deafness. Eventually people will have a choice to get their "imperfections" remedies through the use of either the Implant option(non-hereditary) or through Genetic and Proteomic manipulation(hereditary optional).

Here is an article detailing the various drugs we use to enhance brain performance. As this technology matures our capabilities will start to increase exponentially and Natural Evolution will pale in comparison to Sentient Directed Evolution.

www.newscientist.com...

Umm are you including genetics in that broad statement?

[edit on 3-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Umm are you including genetics in that broad statement?

Sorry, let me rephrase that :

Increased use of medical technology actually reduces our natural evolutionary change.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Unplanned Obsolescence

One of my hobbies is writing aphorisms: little one-line nuggets that supposedly encapsulate some of my limited wisdom. They pop into my head, and I write them down.

I'm sure some of them are quotes I've heard before but can't place, so I can't claim absolute originality for them. Still, I write them down anyway, am pretty sure most of them are really mine and post samples in my signature block as offerings of the "Majic point of view".

I have hundreds of them now, collected in a file.

One of the oldest aphorisms I have is one that's been with me for at least twenty years, and best sums up my thinking on the topic of this thread:

Humanity will invent the species which replaces it.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I know exactly what the next evolution got humans is. Have you heard of the Indigo, Crystal and Rainbow Children? You might dismiss this as "New Age *Bunk*," but I know better. There is a Starseed (collective of all of these) touching the same keys that I am at this very moment. Hmm. And how many people can touch a key at the same time? ONE! So I know what I am talking about. The Starseeds have ET DNA, but more and more of us are being born, at a rate where soon every child being born will be a Starseed. According to X-Men, we are the Mutants.

Blessed Be
Namaste
Love and Light
Indigo Blessings

Bunphrionsa

mod edit to clean up language

[edit on 6-1-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
devilsadvocate you give us no info whatsoever about the stuff you are on about, thanks

Well, reading Robert Anton Wilson lately has put me on to thinking that our brain will evolve, meaning as we only use a small part of it at the moment, much more of it will be unlocked, as information increases around the world at an amazing rate, we will be able to cope with the changes and not be stuck in the 'times' people grow up in. No more of this 'back in the day' stuff!

Medical evolution I believe will grant us immortality, or longevity rather. Primative examples exist I believe, but as information increases the research will take less time. This all depends on wether or not the 'Government' will provide this to the public, which I doubt so much.

The idea about a collective 'mind' is also a thing I believe will happen, or exists, but we will learn 'tap into it' as time goes on. 'Synchronicities' are supposed examples of this in action, e.g. When you think of an idea and someone else has the EXACT same one, without being called 'meer coincedence', etc.

I know this is off-topic, but another possibility is that of a 'global energy network', plans of this, or ideas, were put into motion but I have forgotten why it was stopped. It basically consisted of the whole world sharing energy, helping out third-world countries and generally saving unreal amounts of money and being more effective. Hopefully I will find some info on it to show you lot.

Space-migration is a 100% event in my book as well, I don't believe the resources on this planet can cater for us long enough, although this kind of contradicts my views on technological advances, as new fuels/resources, etc should be available every now and then.

Ultimately, stupidity will die out, I hope.

Advances in communications, etc will give the government more power over it's people. But once again, contradiction, I believe that the pure intellect Humans will have in the future will be too much to control.

Or, not much will happen and we'll all stay the same. Hmmm....

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Clean and heathy food, water, shelter and just governance is all mankind need to survive and thrive.

In our continually growing pride in our 'cleverness' and our, all but non-existant shame, of our arrogance, we've ensured more people than ever, get none of these.

The Bible is right in warning us that with the great increase in 'knowledge' would come an increase in foolishness and decrease in wisdom.

As to 'worshipping' the 'marvels' of The Net, even my modern, adult children have given up finding anything they didn't already learn from a loving, involved, READING and QUESTIONING family. It is truely the greatest source of "dis-information" in history.

We have 'devolved' into sickly, selfish, weak arrogant beings.

Why are the most 'advanced' cultures having such a great problem doing something as natural as 'breeding'?
Because the THEORY of evolution is a 'crock' and God isn't. He knows how harmfull all that, "we can save ourselves" poison, spewed by humanist evolutionists, is.

I don't mean to be harsh, lies are a slowly killing 'poison' and mankind 'spews' out a vile mess of them, over important things, that drives people away from looking at what they cover.

Don't make the mistake of assumming I'm speaking from some 'Christian bias', this is actually the view of a modern, educated person from a highly 'advanced' nation, with the extra, 'balancing' benifit of being the first generation from a large and prosperous family that were completely self sufficiant in their 'old country', other than trading for salt.

These people were warm, well fed and intelligently inventive and efficient, not suffering disease and curing injury slowly but naturally, without more damaging side effects. The only 3, early deaths, were from WW1 and the rest died of very old age without years of dementia and illness preceeding. Now they are a sickly bunch of people with many deaths from disease and "the many dangers of modern living".

When people point to the suffering and squalor of people in history, they choose (due to always being fed) examples of the effects of bad governance and natural disasters yet ignor the greater number of people suffering these things, and worse, today.

Pride does come before a fall and mankind isn't far from it's biggest ever tumble.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Suzy are you Christian?

Each to their own, I don't know what to say, Evolution has been proven but a 'God' hasn't. Guess which one I believe in.....don't mistake this as 'I believe everything that I see in front of me or what people have told me' either.....

Once again off-topic but still, I just see the Bible as a story book with 'morals', there to 'guide' people and help 'govern' them with 'laws'.

Maybe I should actually read it?!?!?

P.S.

It is truely the greatest source of "dis-information" in history.

And surely it's also the greatest source of 'information' ? Course it is.

And don't mistake Knowledge for Intelligence, they are COMPLETELY different things, Intelligence is more like Wisdom and Knowledge is pretty much Known Information. Sure there are people that will use new-found 'knowledge/information' for the wrong purposes. But if you are a Christian, surely you believe that 'Good' will triumph over 'Evil' ?

top topics

join