It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Miners Trapped By Underground Blast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Thirteen US miners have been trapped after an explosion one mile underground collapsed their mine-shaft. The explosion happend at the Sago Mine, West virginia shortly after 0800. Six other men were able to escape.

news.bbc.co.uk
The explosion happened about one mile (1.6km) underground at the Sago Mine shortly after 0800 (1300 GMT), local officials said.

Rescuers who moved in to try to pull the miners to safety were forced to abandon their effort after finding no way to reach the group, reports said.

Six other men were reported to have escaped from the mine unharmed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not much info on this yet but i will post it as it comes.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Rescuers trying to reach 13 trapped miners successfully punched a hole into the mine early Tuesday, but a company executive said initial reports of air quality in the area were very discouraging.

Carbon monoxide levels measured 1,300 parts per million, exceeding the 400 parts per million maximum level that sustains life, said Ben Hatfield, chief executive officer of mine owner International Coal Group Inc.

“We are very discouraged by the results of this test,” Hatfield said.

Link To Full Story!

Mic

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Good find... Sad how this isn't far from the 9 miners who were trapped a few years ago (near me).

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
One body has been found, but no sign of the other 12 miners.

Forbes

Family members were told Tuesday that one body was found in a West Virginia mine where 13 miners were trapped for more than 38 hours.

John Groves, whose brother Jerry Groves is among the trapped miners, said Gov. Joe Manchin announced about 9 p.m. that rescuers found one body in a mine car.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
(unconfirmed)

Fox TV news is reporting that 12 were found alive!

Edit -Just found an online report of the same.

www.wdbj7.com...

Family members say they've been alerted that all 12 remaining miners who have been missing in an West Virginia mine for more than 40 hours have been found alive. People waiting for word at the Sago Baptist Church are crying, hugging and screaming 'They're alive.'

[edit on 1/3/06 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
12 miners are alive!

TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. - Twelve miners caught in an explosion in a coal mine were found alive late Tuesday, more than 41 hours after the blast, family members said.

Here's the link I got this off of.

Yahoo News

Remember that we must not forget to mourn for the family of the one miner whose life was lost and body recovered earlier today.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I am watching CNN and a women and her children have just left the church saying the CEO of the mine just apologized to the families and that he made an error and only one miner survived - all the rest perished.

Anybody hearing anything else on this?

B.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I'm watching CNN too.

Those poor families. I can't even imagine how horrible they must feel.

The news conference is just starting.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Hold on, so are they alive or are they dead?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Family members report that 11 of the 12 coal miners who were initially thought to have survived an explosion in a coal mine have died. The sole survivor is hospitalized.

The families were told by company officials about the deaths more than three hours after Gov. Joe Manchin said he had been told 12 of the miners had survived. Tears of joy turned to tears of grief as families demanded answers about what caused the miscommunication.

"We feel like we've been lied to all alone," said one family member on CNN.

The president of the company is saying that at no time did the owners tell families that their loved ones were confirmed alive. He is doing his CYA dance - lets hope the press crucifies him.

My hearts and prayers go out to the families of these miners.

Bleys

[edit on 1/4/06 by Bleys]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Can you imagine celebrating the survival of a loved one, for hours, before finding it's all a misunderstanding?

[edit on 4-1-2006 by SourGrapes]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   
How on earth did he get confused over them being dead or alive?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:38 AM
link   
They haven't said how the miscommunication occured, but the poor families. The one survivor is in critical condition and was stabilized and transported to a second hospital by ambulance. No further word on his condition was released that I've heard.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Some of the relatives are talking to reporters. They asked why only one ambulance left and were told that the other miners were all getting together and making their way towards the church to visit with family before going to the hospital.

Many were told this. They were told, over and over, the other 11 surviving miners were on their way down.

These poor families were led on for over two hours.

[edit on 4-1-2006 by SourGrapes]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
The CEO of the company said there was a miscommunication between the rescuers and the incident commander that said that there were 12 survivors, which led to the families being told they were alive.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I'm not sure how anyone "misunderstood". The freaking USA Today posted a Huge front page, Alive.

I watched Three women talk about how the CEO told them that it was three alive, then the same person come back and tells them there has been a misunderstanding.

Sounds like a cowards way out. This mining company has numerous fines against it.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Actually, the PREVIOUS mining company had the fines against it. The mine was sold at the end of November to a company that has a very good safety record, and was making changes to the mine, however didn't have enough time for this happened.

Apparently the miscommunication was that someone said "We found 12 of them. We're checking vital signs now." and someone construed that to mean they were alive.

[edit on 1/4/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Regardless who owns it now, it should have been shut down.

So they say now, riddle me this, why not Tell them why let the celebrate for three hours?

[edit on 4-1-2006 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Apparently the miscommunication was that someone said "We found 12 of them. We're checking vital signs now." and someone construed that to mean they were alive.

We'll is typical miscommunication, it goes on all the time, sadly this event was tainted by it.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Wow.

I would hate to THAT guy that went around spreading the information without confirming it.

"Opps, my bad. Sorry about that. heh ummm, heh heh Sorry? Just a little....." (begin running)

Seriously. It would be laughable if it wasnt so tragic.

It creates a new standard for making stupid mistakes. Heads will roll. I wouldnt be surprised if Congress tried to score Congress points over it either.

Anyway, Im just ranting. Im not really saying anything. Its all just very sad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join