It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Quotable Quotes

Originally posted by worksoftplayhard
why is ats even worried about this? when people read stuff here usually theyre interested to go to the original site and read more of it there... quoting more is a good thing is you ask me!

You might want to review this thread:

Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I dont know if this makes me sound stupid but what if you do it un intentionally and maybe you have the same idea as someone else and you dont know youre doing it

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I'm really confused how you can stop someones access to abovetopsecret.com..if you delete someones account they'll just create a new one..no? Thanks

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by twisted_fate
I'm really confused how you can stop someones access to abovetopsecret.com..if you delete someones account they'll just create a new one..no? Thanks

You don't understand if your account is deleted ,then you are deleted

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl

You don't understand if your account is deleted ,then you are deleted

lol...thanks for that, I'll worry about becoming non-existent next time I do something which THEY do not aprove of...It's very easy to let power get to your head...

this is what bugs me about this website, it's becoming more and more scrict for no reason, is it that much of a hassle for someone to delete a thread (like this one) that they deem not fit for us to read

[edit on 28-8-2006 by twisted_fate]

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   

this is what bugs me about this website, it's becoming more and more scrict for no reason, is it that much of a hassle for someone to delete a thread (like this one) that they deem not fit for us to read

In the hopes of enlightening the general populace, the mods and the 3 Amigos here have deemed it necessary to keep every single post as close to it's truest intent, while maintaining a sensible dialogue for all those trying to learn. To delete any thread would be tantamount to revisionist history, as well as downright treasonous, which is something we conspiracy buffs here are STRICTLY against.

Now, to be fair, there are a number of threads that have been closed, and a number of posts that have been edited in ways that may detract from their overall meaning. However, in those cases, it was deemed necessary to ensure that the flow of the debate wasn't thrown off-course by some would-be troll trying to derail a thread for the sheer enjoyment of it.

I think what I'm trying to get at here is simply this: They do what they need to do so that everyone's stay here is as wonderful this time as it was the first time they joined.

"We cherish the idea of rocking the boat, just don't poke holes in it, unless you brought plugs, and can swim." - TheBorg

I hope you by now have an idea as to why threads like this one are allowed to coexist with all of the others. If this thread had been deleted, this post never would have happened. See how things change in a matter of a few minutes?? Something to think about...

TheBorg

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I'm seeing mods bumping this thread. Could we just sticky it to the main page so everyone can see it? This way, we'll all be able to find it with no problem.

TheBorg

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Sticky Bumps

We had so many topped ("sticky") threads in BB&Q that we decided to untop nearly all of them and bump certain threads now and then instead.

For the definitive list of threads we would normally top, please see:

Smokin' BBQ Threads (Important Website-Related Topics - LOOK HERE FIRST)

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Thanks Majic, much appreciated. Taking the time like that to explain that makes it a lot clearer.

TheBorg

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I have been charged with the terrible deed. I understand or thought I understood how not to do what I did do.
I fully understand about the quote, yet I thought I was setting the quote to the site and giving my input as to what the site was meaning or trying to do. If, I felt otherwise to the story I tried to find something that was untrue and work from there.
I did not mean to bust the PNAYN character, just trying to find a ghost.
Maybe I need lessons, maybe with something as inportant as plagiarism. Should not the information be separated from other threads, this way the message stays as one subject and is not broken up or confused by member input. It seems that something this serious to ATS needs a single thread that builds knowledge, that way the outcome can more surely be controlled.

[edit on 22-9-2006 by mondegreen]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Staff bump, please be sure to read all threads with suggestions and information for members, it is for every ones benefit.

Thank you for yout time, it is appreciated.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Thanks for the info, I will take notice of this new issue from now on.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Understood, I was just using "" ,not ATS quote box

Sorry Guys

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I got it I meant no harm I'm just computer illiterate.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Isn't plagiarism considered posting anything that isn't considered "general widespread knowledge?" Basically anything more obscure than "The president's name is George Bush" and you begin to step into the obscure world of plagiarism.

What if you don't directly copy from another website, but you are regurgitating a fact or idea that you read or heard on TV several weeks ago? Technically you are still plagiarizing and "stealing" the info, but there is no possible way that you could source it.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
Isn't plagiarism considered posting anything that isn't considered "general widespread knowledge?"

No.

Using what has been contributed to the generally available knowledge base, and expanding upon that, is the normal process of advancement and learning.

Taking what someone else did (writing, art, video, photo, etc.), removing reference to that person, using it verbatim (or with only minor changes), and calling it your own is plagiarism.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I wrote some things about the spirit and other stuff on another site last year and was shocked to read a paragraph from a high profile member which has a dedicated forum position here on ATS, eerily reflected the words I used. Should I be afraid if I write this stuff again here, that I may suffer a ban if the member profile with the dedicated forum brings it to the attention of ATS agents, there maybe a plagiarism occurrence?

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorldShadow
was shocked to read a paragraph from a high profile member which has a dedicated forum

Did you let us know about that?

We're very serious about the improper use of the work of others.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

No, I did not notify ATS. But it is with one who I enjoy his knowledge whether in a book, ATS or a tv documentry.

It was a shock when I read one of his ATS threads and seen my words. I dunno, theres not any reason for me to file a letter of complaint since it is possible he has the same interpreted view as I.

I'm just curious if at some time I write my view on the subject and enter that sentence which will look very similar to his, and be hit with a ban for possible plagirism.

I don't want to start anything, I was just putting that out here for some guidance.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Due Process

No member is banned without a thorough and careful review by several members of the senior staff.

If there's any doubt whatsoever, the member is not banned. Period.

In the case of plagiarism, I've never seen a case acted on that wasn't very clear.

I realize that, without the benefit of seeing the extensive discussions and debates that occur behind the scenes, actions taken by the staff may occasionally seem sudden or unwarranted, but...

Having been involved in and witnessed literally hundreds of cases, please be assured that we don't do anything without solid evidence and a firm foundation in the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use.

Anything less would be unacceptable.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join