It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Not meaning to get caught up in the meaningless but.....

This post of mine was edited by a moderator.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This raises a question as the information that I listed - not in ex tags - is from my own database of earthquakes and all information stored in the database is from public domain sources, mainly as it is government sourced.

The sugestion was that I had forgotten to add a link. I did not. My response was thus:

Actually I did not forget to add a link. That data - as with all data I post on earthquakes, comes from my own SQL database. Now I suppose you could say that originally the data may have come from USGS, or perhaps EMSC, or maybe GeoNet, or possibly one of 2 or 3 dozen other sources but - well I can't exactly quote that lot can I.

I can certainly add some text to that effect on posts if that is what you wish me to do - something along the lines of "Data sources from USGS et al"?

I think you might find if you frequent the earthquake threads regularly (this was a one off) that to do so on every single post would create unnecessary additional text. Every earthquake listing that DOES come from an external source has no attribution, but then on the other hand there is no copyright issue here as this is public domain information being government sourced. Maybe this is something that should be discussed by the Admins and some sort of ruling on the matter reached.

In the meantime, perhaps you would consider removing the erroneous edit and restoring the post as it was, with if you so desire, the addition of "Source: USGS and other public listings"

Regards
PuterMan

In view of the HUGE number of such posts on ATS, not only in the earthquake threads on Fragile Earth but elsewhere on the site, this needs to be clarified, as does the possible requirement to attribute data from ones own database.

edit on 20/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

If you are compiling your own data from multiple sources just indicate that in your post so there won't be any questions.

Springer...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Thanks. Just to clarify, does these type of sources need to have the ex tag around them?

For example, the following would be a typical post in quake watch.

Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 5.3
Date-Time

* Sunday, March 20, 2011 at 17:08:57 UTC
* Monday, March 21, 2011 at 03:08:57 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 37.152°N, 143.845°E
Depth 34.8 km (21.6 miles)
Region OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances 263 km (163 miles) E of Iwaki, Honshu, Japan
288 km (178 miles) ESE of Sendai, Honshu, Japan
306 km (190 miles) ESE of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
401 km (249 miles) ENE of TOKYO, Japan
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 18 km (11.2 miles); depth +/- 1.6 km (1.0 miles)
Parameters NST=267, Nph=268, Dmin=507.6 km, Rmss=0.71 sec, Gp=119°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=9
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc00027jb

Should that in fact be:

Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 5.3
Date-Time

* Sunday, March 20, 2011 at 17:08:57 UTC
* Monday, March 21, 2011 at 03:08:57 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 37.152°N, 143.845°E
Depth 34.8 km (21.6 miles)
Region OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances 263 km (163 miles) E of Iwaki, Honshu, Japan
288 km (178 miles) ESE of Sendai, Honshu, Japan
306 km (190 miles) ESE of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
401 km (249 miles) ENE of TOKYO, Japan
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 18 km (11.2 miles); depth +/- 1.6 km (1.0 miles)
Parameters NST=267, Nph=268, Dmin=507.6 km, Rmss=0.71 sec, Gp=119°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=9
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc00027jb

Source

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Just a quick question on this.

Last night we were posting to the Libya Military action live update thread.

Obviously members including myself where watching the live news reporters and posting commentary on what was being said, breaking headline, updates etc.

In each case I saw that the members (Including a Super Mod) doing this were tagging them with the source

i.e. Sky News, CNN, Rueters, AFP etc etc. with a time. Where something was a link to a site, the link was being used.

In my case, I audio typed the press conference broadcast from Libya, (and got applause for it
)

But did not see anyone copying and pasting from sites (that i saw anyway)

But still we got a mod warning on plagiarizing. Surely posting comments made by presenters and news headlines on the TV does constitute pulverization in the eyes of the staff, especially as we were citing source.

Just wondering what the stance is on this, in these fast breaking news events.

Sorry if this was already asked, I have not read all 10 pages!!

edit on 20/3/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Yes the data should be in "ex" tags if it's from another site.

Springer...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
this also happens in the sense of ideas and thread jacking. for example a thread comes where members start researching and adding info, making it a sort of group research. then another thread pops up with the op just compiling the info and research added by other members but presenting it as "hey guys i just came up with this, or this is the reasoning process about this subject"

some members will know exactly what im talking about. while less serious its still plagiarism, ats on ats plagiarism.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

If you see that happening make sure you hit the "Alert" button and give the staff a brief explanation with links to the "original thread".

You're right, that is wrong.

Springer...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
New Site Tag For Quoting External Sources

From now on, please use the new quoting tag specific to external content sources.

Surround your snippet and link to an external source with these new tags:
[ex] --> Begin external source content
[/ex] --> End external source content

Thank you.

Great more work for my lazy ass sigh now off ta fix this mornings posts
btw is this due to potential copyright issues?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks for the info

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Bumping for all the newer members we have....
It is very very important to follow these guidelines when using other people's work in your posts!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Does that apply to government documents.
Are we only allowed to post three paragraphs or less of a government document, In that no US government document can be copyrighted, (wikileaks got away because if this)

I will quote, post source and link.

I have already been sent a letter one time for posting the contents of a military manual on the Internet.
seems some publisher of well know survival manuals has copied and is selling these and thinks they own the copyrights if they put a new cover on them. (i did not post the cover)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
well I was accused of plaigarising my own work so I could really care less about these ever changing laws. I'm creative enough to come up with my own work, and when someone accuses me of plagiarism I get pissy

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
well I was accused of plaigarising my own work so I could really care less about these ever changing laws. I'm creative enough to come up with my own work, and when someone accuses me of plagiarism I get pissy

Did you alert staff to the off topic comment?
Plagiarism is very real. Not only do people plagiarize here...but often ATS member's work is stolen from here and used elsewhere. These rules help protect the members too

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Forget about my post, the issue resolved itself. There was an error made by a moderator but we worked it out and everything is just about back to normal
edit on 10-7-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
bumped for ressiv a persistant offener

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

Yes the data should be in "ex" tags if it's from another site.

Springer...

Yes, I myself was posting text from outside sources in quote tags instead if external test tags, and this was brought to my attention my the mods, nicely, I might add. I personally think the external text tags are a great idea, right away the reader know from where it originated.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I think the 'ex' tags make the author look professional.

Magic is the science of the jungle

.pdf: aswierczynski.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I would like someone to please explain "how" to present a couple of lines from a link.I know how to quote someone elses post that i'm commenting on in a thread,just click on the quote and edit the part your commenting on...but how do i post a few sentences from a "link"? The "quote" doesnt seem to work then,or maybe i'm trying it the wrong way?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

when quoting outside sources, use the "ex" tags.

fromsomewhereelse.com...
external source content

hope this helps

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
reply to post by blocula

when quoting outside sources, use the "ex" tags.

fromsomewhereelse.com...
external source content

hope this helps

Thanx for your quick response...where and what are the "ex tags" ...i havent been a member for very long.Meaning when i'm in a link,where and when do i access the ex tags?
edit on 27-1-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join