It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 'perfect storm' for wildfires

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Most of these fires have been caused by human carelessness. Boy hope the winds die down and the firefighters get this all under control. 4 deaths related so far and 200 homes destroyed.

Valhall you live in Oklahoma, hope everything is well with you and yours.

www.cnn.com...
CNN) -- Conditions described as a "perfect storm" for wildfires are expected to continue Monday in Oklahoma and Texas, where blazes have scorched tens of thousands of acres in less than a week.

Central Oklahoma has had only a quarter-inch of rain since the end of October. High temperatures in recent days have ranged around 80 degrees, and strong, gusty winds have hampered firefighters' efforts, state Fire Marshal Robert Doke said.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
We actually had 12 fires ignite in the town just 8 miles up the road from us yesterday. The winds were gusting to over 35 mph at the time. I do not have any up to date news on how many homes were lost, or whether they have all been extinguished. We were lucky in that after the sun went down last night the winds died...so maybe they are all out in this area.

We're in a drought right now and a majority of the state is a kindling box. But I'm also very skeptical that this is just idiots not observing burning bans. I remember back about 10 years ago when we had drought conditions and there were a rash of fires all around this area. It was finally discovered that a volunteer fireman was setting them to get adrenaline kicks.

With 12 fires breaking out in a town of no more than 25,000-30,000 people yesterday, I've got a sinking suspicion that at least in our area, there may be a bit more than bad conditions at play.

If anything happens here I'll be the lady on the news who stole the local firetruck and had to be dragged from the top of my house where I was flooding the roof with the firehose. I'm coming up on 4 years of almost every spare moment and penny put into fixing this old house up.

It's not going up in a blaze of glory without a fight!

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValhallIf anything happens here I'll be the lady on the news who stole the local firetruck and had to be dragged from the top of my house where I was flooding the roof with the firehose. I'm coming up on 4 years of almost every spare moment and penny put into fixing this old house up.

It's not going up in a blaze of glory without a fight!

Valhall, I hope that nothing does happen to your, your family, or your house. Ya'll keep safe. However, should you be seen on television with the firehose flooding the roof, try to get pictures or a link to the television show.

join