It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-CIA man says U.S. is short on spies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   
An espionage officer in the Central Intelligence Agency says that the agency will have a difficult time filling top positions with experienced operatives.

www.cnn.com
Gary Berntsen, a decorated espionage officer who led a paramilitary unit code-named "Jawbreaker" in the war that toppled the Taliban after the September 11, 2001, attacks, said CIA Director Porter Goss faces an uphill battle to fill the agency's senior ranks with aggressive, seasoned operatives.

"He's probably more aggressive than most of the senior officers in the clandestine service. So I think he's having to pull them along a bit," Berntsen said.

"(Goss) is trying to improve the situation. But it's going to be tough. The rebuilding is going to take years. A decade, at least," he told Reuters late last week.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is scary! We know that the CIA has already had its share of problems, as have the other intelligence agencies. I just hope that Porter Goss does what is necessary to agressively recruit top candidates.

[edit on 2-1-2006 by Nerdling]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
..lies made by the white man is all...

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This has been a known fact for a while now. The problem with recruiting qualified candidates is that the people of this nation don't have the "God, country and family" sense of duty anymore.

The ACLU and groups with the same agenda can only be blamed for spreading their "trash ideology" among the nations youth.

Kill them all. God will send them to Hell.

[edit on 3/1/06 by Intelearthling]

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I don't want to start a "bash Clinton" streak, but his admin had a lot to do with creating this situation. We neglected our HUMINT in favor of satellite based espionage. But there's no substitute for a set of eyes and ears on the ground.

This situation is not one that can be fixed overnight; it's not the same as placing an ad in the Sunday paper advertising these positions. The best candidates are native to the country they are used in, and at least bilingual. And smart. And it takes time and effort to train them.

For a while, we were using unsavory characters; criminals, low lifes, etc., as spies. I have absolutely no problem with that. But I do remember the howling that went on in here from those opposed to using criminals. Something about higher standards, if I recall.

We also have Jamie Gorelick to thank for helping to screw up our intelligence system.

new topics

top topics

join