It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban on the Aussie Flag

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Following the recent riots in Sydney,the council has banned the Aussie flag from being flown at Bondi beach.

Council bans Australian flag
January 02, 2006

PLANS to fly Australian flags over the famous Bondi Beach pavilion were vetoed because of fears the symbols could incite more racial violence on Sydney's beaches.

In a decision met with outrage from locals, returned servicemen and ethnic groups, Waverley Council voted 6-5 against the proposal, declaring the popular beach should remain clear of flags to "remove provocation".

Link
www.news.com.au...

This to me as an Aussie has gone passed ridiculous in displaying our Nation Flag.

this taken from the link above.

Muslim leaders yesterday described the council's stance as misguided and presumptuous.

Islamic Friendship Association of Australia founder Keysar Trad said decisions made on behalf of Muslims with no consultation only caused further division.

"To suggest that Muslims would be offended at the sight of the Australian flag is naive. A great deal of Muslims call Australia home and they are just as happy to see the flag flying high," he said.

The council has also offended community organisations which proudly fly the national flag.

(emphases mine)

I`m glad even the Muslim leaders see this as misguided on the Councils behalf,tho don`t think these types of issues need their approval or anyone else for that matter on displaying our flag.

Imo it dos`nt sit right with me that the Muslim leaders feel the need to be consulted in the first place.In this instance if the Council did consult them we would`nt have offended Aussie over this.

So i expect Councils in the future see consulting the Muslim leaders on anything and everything as best,seeing they cant make the right decisions themselves.Glad we`re in such great hands.

Those in the USA or the UK what would your citizens feel if there were bans placed on you flying your own flag under any circumstances by your own local Gov?

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I find this ridiculous. Its not Australia thats committing the riots, its a select few idiots with too much dang time on their hands.

Though being a Kiwi I reckon they should ban Australia outright...

But seriously...its political correctness gone haywire.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien

Though being a Kiwi I reckon they should ban Australia outright...

But seriously...its political correctness gone haywire.

Sorry i left out our Aussie friends & Bro`s in NZ we are mates, well only off the sporting field,i put this type of banter down mostly to Chappell and his under arm bowling,and i`d like to appoligise on behalf of the majority of Aussies i`m sure they would agree even if you do talk funny.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Well if this doesn't wake people up to the fact that the leaders and members of the NWO are using their, "pussy footing around all things Islam", to insight racial tensions and justify removing freedoms so many around the world fought and died for then.....????.....hey, wouldn't it be great if Moslems all over the world, offically protested (as loud and hard as they do about cartoons they don't like) about being USED to cause the Third World War. At least then we could all focus on who the greatest enemy to world peace really is, everyone fighting God under the guise of any religion.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Suzy i keep a very open mind when it comes to NWO theories or accusations and i dont dismiss the line you take,but sometimes its simply stupid judgments made by people in Gov.

At the end of the day,month........year we`ll see how things change,my guess is Islamic leaders will have more and more say in the decisions our local or federal Gov make,and slowly say goodbye to the Aussie as we have known it way of life.

Which is where i would agree with you on the NWO theory being masked behind racism.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Good Ban the flag !!! Im sick of the british reminder everytime i look at my flag. We as Australians should HAVE AN AUSTRALIAN FLAG. We should consult the aboriginals and other groups on a new design. After all what does the UK do for everyday Australians to get all our taxes ?. one word

REPUBLIC !!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by helium3
Good Ban the flag !!! Im sick of the british reminder everytime i look at my flag. We as Australians should HAVE AN AUSTRALIAN FLAG. We should consult the aboriginals and other groups on a new design. After all what does the UK do for everyday Australians to get all our taxes ?. one word

REPUBLIC !!!!!!!!!!!

Ok but the question to you then is,what would be your response to them banning a flag you are in favour with,if you had your way, as they have just done?.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
Ok but the question to you then is,what would be your response to them banning a flag you are in favour with,if you had your way, as they have just done?.

"They" have not really done anything. As usual you must take all these storys with a pinch of salt. After all the "race storys" have been a massive seller for the papers and there just trying to milk that angel on any story.

There has never been a Australian flag on bondi pavilion in my lifetime. It is also so a heritage listed building, as i remeber Waverly council does not hang Australian flags on heritage listed sites. The real story is that they wanted to hang the flag on the bondi pavilion and the Waverly major said no because of reasons i have already stated.

[edit on 2-1-2006 by helium3]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Thanx`s for that info helium3 interesting.

Tho it is`nt the heratage building being the reason for it not being displayed

quote:
Council bans Australian flag
January 02, 2006

PLANS to fly Australian flags over the famous Bondi Beach pavilion were vetoed because of fears the symbols could incite more racial violence on Sydney's beaches.

In a decision met with outrage from locals, returned servicemen and ethnic groups, Waverley Council voted 6-5 against the proposal, declaring the popular beach should remain clear of flags to "remove provocation".

If anything all races & beliefs etc should all gather at Bondi as Aussies and stick it up the noses of the local Gov.Its absurd that in your own Nation you are forced to ban your own flag in a public place.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Oh yes, gps777, I too fully understand that without the poorly educated and willingly ignorant, those promoting "Global Everything" would have a much harder job, but I do find it hard to believe that 6 out of 11 councillors were all "that stupid".

Helium3, I'm glad you can at least still call it "your" flag but the Union Jack is not just "British" but the reminder of the original Union of seperate Nations that went on to build an Empire that advanced and prospered our Nation so very much more than other countries colonized by different Nations.

The Abouriginal Flag and the Eureka Flag are now recognized and flown WITH the Australian Flag, all over the country, which to me seems much more respectfull and inclusive than "banning" an image that reminds us all of the history that lead to our current important position in the world.

As to what the U.K. does for our taxes; too much and often too 'secret' to list, but we would be in a real international trade 'pickle' without the doors they open for us through their generations of "old school ties", behind and still with us.

Now what if we did consult with "other groups" and they desided on the Abouriginal Flag with the Southern cross in one corner and Cresant Moon in the other? I think we would have alot less "Happy Little Vegemites" and a hell of alot more "Angry Bull Ants" than we currently do.

I'm sure even the decendants of "Dixie's" great leaders would not stand for being told they can't fly their current Flag, of The United States of America, in any of their Internationally famous tourist destinations. That's what boils my blood the most...Welcome to Australia! The land that isn't allowed to fly it's own Flag! May all foreigners respect us for being so weak and gutless!

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

If anything all races & beliefs etc should all gather at Bondi as Aussies and stick it up the noses of the local Gov.Its absurd that in your own Nation you are forced to ban your own flag in a public place.

Hey, maybe one or two of those councillors have invested in Australian Flag design clothes, hats, towels etc., expecting people to respond to their ban that way. If they haven't, maybe we should anyway.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Helium3 because your a local,if you decided to go down to your beach with an Aussie flag in protest of your councils decision,you may now be seen as in-sighting violence.

You could then fall under the category of these thugs in this link and the full force of the new Police powers that have recently come into effect be applied.
www.news.com.au...

Who`s going to believe you that you were not doing this to incite racism?

Dangerous times for our freedom,when a person opposes Gov in peacful protest that you may be classed in with the people the law was supposed to protect.

Murky waters i see coming,people will be affraid to speak out or protest,then the Gov (or NWO) has little resistance to change the laws to how they see fit.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Yes, you're right gps777, wearing Aussie flag design clothes could get you into undeserved trouble (likely, maybe not but sickly possible) but I wonder what would happen if a bunch of Moslem women got out there in burqas made of Aussie flag design and sat listening to Paul Kelly while their kids played beach cricket in Aussie flag design board shorts. They could paint on their beach umbrella, "Because we're good Moslems we choose to live in this "tollerant and peacefull" Nation. If we wanted to live under oppressive Middle Eastern laws, we'd move there. Give our non-Moslem, fellow citizens, back all their rights."

O.K., it's a silly dream that could turn into a nightmare should anyone attempt it, but I'd still like to think, if this silly dream came true, there are enough Real Aussies around to proudly promote their protest to the world.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I saw this crap on the news tonite & couldn't believe my ears......nor my eyes! Some two bit would be if she could be councillor was on the telly stating that the flag would not be flown on the Pavilion at Bondi. Just behind her thou, on the Surf Life Saving Club, fying proud as ever was......wait for it......yes, an Australian Flag!

I'm actually wondering on WHO"S authority the Waverly Council have acted. Since they are elected by the ratepayers, who all have to compulsorily vote or risk a fine, I would have thought something as important as whether or not to fly OUR COUNTRY"S FLAG should have been put to a referrendum..............not just decided on by a tiny group of people in "pseudo power".

I can tell you that if THIS happened in my Shire, I would be down those Shire Offices in a flash, along with all the other ratepayers in my area & we'd be demanding that they fly the flag proudly, & stop pandering to the whims of the damn minority do-gooder people who are hell bent on apologising for out culture & selling it down the shute.

The Waverly Council are using some "heritage building" law to say they won't be flying the flag, but there was another bloke who stuffed up & announced that they didn't want to provoke a repeat of the Cronulla incident by flying the flag. A-HA! The true agenda is revealed!
It was also stated that they ( the Council ) didn't want the ratepayers to have to fund an investigation into whether the flags could fly on a heritage building. Interestingly enough, they enacted some alleged law, obviously without proper investigation ( if they actually even did this, which I doubt ), because if they had done their homework they;d have already discovered all the answers to the questions now being raised.

Anyway, since Malcolm Turnbull donated both the Australian & the Aboriginal flag to them he's also said that he will pay for the investigation into whether the flags CAN fly on the pavillion at Bondi.

Its political correctness & fear of offending other races, gone absolutely mad! These are the same type of people that would ban christmas trees & santa, be assured!

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Coucil's in Sydney are notorious for doing stupid things, this is just one more example. Let's not forget this was a decision made by 11 people 5 of whom didn't support it.
Unfortunaelty if something is repeated long and hard enough it can gain a little authenticity. If people keep on saying that the Australian Flag is rallying symbol for ' racists ', then maybe it will become one

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Suzy i hear ya
i`d only change that the muslims should be protesting along side the non muslims in all their designer gear demanding their rights back.

Not only that i think they should be kicked out of the Council for offending all Aussies Nation wide.

I remember just after 9/11 an Aussie living in the US hung two flags out her window of her house one American one Aussie side by side.Their Gov told her to remove the Aussie.Oh well its their country a bit rude i thought,but this here has upset some old timers that i know a lot,its totally outragous.

Good posts Figjam and rogue1

we all have the right to and should be severly pee`d off about this.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figjam

Its political correctness & fear of offending other races, gone absolutely mad! These are the same type of people that would ban christmas trees & santa, be assured!

Would ban christmas DID BAN last year

Do you remeber christmas in Sydney city in 2004 ?

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
yes I do remember Christmas in Sydney 2004, and Melbourne 2004........same type of people!

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by helium3

REPUBLIC !!!!!!!!!!!

Chances are you have British ancestry in you, so it should'nt really bother you.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Woohoo...... common sense prevails.

Flag offer for Bondi site
January 03, 2006

THE New South Wales Government has offered to provide Waverley Council with an Australian flag, flagpole and the manpower required to fly the flag at a Bondi beach landmark.

Premier Morris Iemma yesterday condemned the eastern Sydney council
after it was accused of refusing to fly the flag at the historic Bondi Pavilion because of concerns about racial tensions following last month's Cronulla beach riot.

www.news.com.au...

Edit sorry forgot the link and just noticed the new rules on quoting external sources.

I`d still think these guys should be booted out of the council.

[edit on 2-1-2006 by gps777]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join