It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snake robots (very cool videos)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Check these out. I thought i would post it since they obviously have had next to no publicity, which is a shame cause there awsome.

I'll start off with this video.

Dr. Gavin Miller's S5 robot. Video. He is actually currently working on the S7.

But thats by no means the best. These can move up and down aswell. Snakerobot.com has some fantastic designs. Have a look.

Climbing Snakebot

SWIMMING!

Crawling through a pipe.

Just think of its applications. Natural disaster victims could benefit greatly from these, especially if they have heat sensors or motion detectors on them.

Lastly this VERY cool video of the snakebot coming up through a metal grate in the floor.
possible police applications? hostage situation? VIDEO

What are your thoughts?

[edit on 1-1-2006 by Shadow88]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I have just one thing to say about this...................................WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

It could be used for space as a probe for other planets. Make a long one with O2 and water to help people trapped under things. The list goes on & on man !!

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
Just think of its applications. Natural disaster victims could benefit greatly from these, especially if they have heat sensors or motion detectors on them.

Lastly this VERY cool video of the snakebot coming up through a metal grate in the floor.
possible police applications? hostage situation? VIDEO

What are your thoughts?

My intitial reaction is if I were in a life threatening situation and this thing showed up it would probably send me right over the edge.

Really amazing though, and the possibilities of applications would seem endless.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
LOL yea, didnt think of the images of "Alien" or "They came from outer space!" and so on would probably pop up in your head.

But yep, endless possibilities.

Make a long one with O2 and water to help people trapped under things.

Oh wow actually it could be an intelligent hose! Cool. It feeds its way through whatever to the trapped people then provides a clean water source and communication.

[edit on 2-1-2006 by Shadow88]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I want one so bad. I cant wait to see what the updated version looks like. It looked like he was using a different model in the tube video compared to the others.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I love seeing stuff like this. It's so amazing, aside from some of the tragic things going on currently, to be living in this age. I'm only 19, and I can't imagine whats to come.

Great find, it's nice reading something other than"ROBOTS WILL CONQUER THE UNIVERSE WE'RE ALL DOOMED" type stuff. I dare say those little snakebots are even cute.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I seem to recall seeing something about a snakebot on DARPAs site under completed projects. How about use for espionage? One thing snakes in nature, heck snakes in captivity have always been very good at proving is they can go almost anywhere they desire. including quite a few places you'd never think they could.

Possible access routes now include: Sewer/drainage pipes, ventilation ducts without REALLY fine screens, foundations, windows, heck, slip in the front dorr if no-one's looking.

Possible internal routes: Ventilation, false ceilings, flase decks, most walls, wiring ducts, and under the desk hiding behind the computer.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
From an engineering standpoint, I find the swimming robot to be by far the most impressive, as I would expect it to have been the hardest to develop. The other robots are pretty cool, too, but I've seen robots perform similar tasks, so I'm not quite as impressed with those, but they are definitely interesting as well. I don't think I've ever seen a swimming robot before, so the designers of that one have my congratulations.

new topics

top topics

join