It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SUMATRA expects more big quakes and tsunami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
According to a US scientist studying the islands off southern Sumatra for several years, it is very clear that the region can expect more big quakes and tsunami in the coming decades.

NEWS BBC

That is something more to worry about.

The following extended article is worth reading. Take a look to the sonar images. Amazing!

SPIEGEL

Furthermore, a year later, scientist were able to see that the whole island has been tilted by the force of the earthquake, causing coral, submerged beneath the ocean for thousands of years, to be thrust out of the water on the east side; bays in the west have been drained.
-We were astonished to find ourselves walking through a pristine marine ecosystem, missing only its multitude of colours, its fish, and its water,-said Professor Kerry Sieh, from the California Institute of Technology.

full interesting story

I would say that 1 year later, we are still unaware of all the effects of the Sumatra Earthquake and Tsunami.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Thank you for that post Ptolomeo. It is truly amazing at what scientists are discovering about the repercussions of the tsunami of Dec. 26. I also read the article at 'Spiegel' and the pictures that had posted makes a person think about what would happen if another tsunami were to happen on that large of a scale again.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
thought you might find this interesting - from the USGS earthquake site

A moderate earthquake occurred at 08:47:13 (UTC) on Sunday, January 1, 2006. The magnitude 5.6 event has been located in NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA. The hypocentral depth was estimated to be 48 km (30 miles). (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

this was 80 km (50 miles) SSW of Banda Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia - so it sure seems what you are saying is right.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Very interesting. Thanks for the post and information.
What I've been increasingly concerned about is the
fault line in the Atlantic ... what it could do with a
tsunami here on the East Coast of America. The
weather channel is going to have a special series
on this .... 'it could happen tomorrow'. Ya'll might
want to watch ... could be interesting.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Yes, I agree.
We´ll have to keep an eye on Indonesia (still very active) and the Atlantic, as well as on Volcanoes (& Supervolcanoes). Supervolcanoes are also dangerous and some are active...

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Ever since the Dec 26th Disaster in 2005 i have worried about the side effects of this. I dont think they have been fully felt yet. I worry about the plates in Japan, i also worry about the Super Volcano in Yellowstone Park. And the fault lines in California. The Earth is connected in so many ways that i am convinced the rest of the Earth was affected by events in Indonesia, i think it was reported that the whole Earth vibrated after Dec 26th. The effects may not be flet immediately but it may may be decades before it will.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Ok, Wirral Bagpuss

Here we have: a strong earthquake on the GULF OF CALIFORNIA!
Check the quake thread.

You mentioned this possibility on your post of January, 2nd.

new topics

top topics

join