It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Ancient Ones" Fact or Fiction

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
Maybe I am wrong, and the Giza pyramid was built by the 4th dynasty as generally accepted. I have too many unanswered questions and my view is that the pharoahs of that era likely restored, repaired, and cleaned up the complex, and added to it.

Again, have you looked at pictures of the temples and so forth they erected in the earlier dynasties? They were not a bunch of flint-knappers living in brush huts and chasing goats down for food. They had been living in cities and constructing buildings of stone long before 3000 BC.

Building houses and temples of stone means a good deal of sophistication in engineering and architecture. Buildings have to be square or oblong (we didn't learn to make domes until this past century) and if using local construction material (rocks and wood), the designs of the houses have to be modified according to the strength of the building material.

I feel that the sphinx, mortuary temple, and great pyramid, at least, are far older.

Scholars disagree on the date of the sphynx (I found a good article that suggested the sphynx was the oldest and the pyramids were placed there because of that monument. I think that concept makes a lot of sense.) However, the mortuary temple can be definately dated by the inscriptions all over the inside (these haven't been "corrected" like the "helicopter" one at Abydos, where Ramses the Impertinent came in and covered up his father's name and put his own name in, instead.)

The bones in the workers' cemetaries are also fairly easily dated, not only by radiocarbon method but also by funeral goods ("Rhamanicus died in the 13th year of the reign of Pharoah Snefu") and jewelry/artifact styles.

There are many details incorporated in the great pyramid which I have yet to find an explanation for.

...such as...? (honest curiosity. I'm not being snarky, here.)

I may be wrong, but I can't see how or why the challenging aspects of the pyramid, such as the differing tier heights, block widths, and precision to square, etc. were achieved by 4th dynasty means.

Take a close look at the pictures of the temples of the earlier dynasties -- and the old step pyramid of Djoser as well. You'll see the same pattern there. It also occurs in the first primitive pyramid designs -- the mastabas.

And, in fact, you can see this same kind of stonework in other ancient civilizations that never built monumental pyramids... like the Sumerians and the various Hindu civilizations of the same time period.

...anyway... I'm enjoying the discussion (I realize skeptics can be annoying sometimes) and I'm learning from it (I had never before actually thought to consider the stonework of the first buildings from each civilization to see how their architecture developed and what types of construction might be possible and how large their standard building material "block" was. And, in fact, that's not something you're taught in any of the classes I took at any school, college, or university (however, I haven't taken any materials engineering or architecture classes.))

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I have a nagging suspicion that techniques of construction just get lost, and we forget how a race dedicated to their architecture can achieve great things, being unable to see beyond the construct of our own democratic individualistic society. Heck, Europe's Gothic cathedrals are on the border of being "impossible to achieve" today...

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Sorry for the late reply.After researching again as Merka so sarcastily suggested I found that indeed it was from the fiction of H. P. Lovecraft that I heard of the Ancient Ones. Congrats to Lord Vilmur for figuring out the answer. Thanks

[edit on 8-1-2006 by necromancer9]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
Perhaps our descendants? Self Preservation being what it is, perhaps the few survivors of some future events made their way home to a place long ago. Just a thought.

that would create a horrible paradoz.
it's the same as a the one that arises from the following exa,ple.
you buy a book of the works of eisntein, and go back in time to give them to him when he starts off as a scientist.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I have yet to read one so far. All your posts are excellent, imo.
Some of the challenging details I have read of, recorded in a number of books by pyramid researchers who have studied the great pyramid personally, are:

The excessive precision in making the pyramid square. It far exceeds what can be appreciated by all but the most thorough researcher. I read that modern buildings are on average about 3% out of square, while it is allegedly only .015% out. Though this accuracy may be theoretically possible for those times, the motive for such a vastly more difficult task is hard for me to fathom. It is hundreds of times more precise than I can see a need for it to be. The subtle concavity of the sides, noticeable only on the few days of the year that the shadow splits the faces in half, is amazing. The choice of adding this difficult feature is hard to explain. The drill bit scoring inside the sarcophagus shows an ability to drill granite more deeply per bit revolution than I have been able to find an explanation for.
The fact it was spotlessly empty when first breeched is another puzzle.
The incorporation of the shafts is another challenging aspect. As is the levelling of the base, considering the rock outcrop which hides the corners from each other.
I am repeating second hand observations here, so I cannot say any of this is for absolutely certain, though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join