It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black liberals need tough love!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I think the black community would be better off if they had a little tough love, especially in the predominantly democratic leaning areas. The black community must all go to college, not get arrested, and work harder than white people. I think there is too much lip service given to education in this country. "I help my kid!", "I make sure she reads", "I make sure he gets to school on time". Really? Government should be there to stimulate the economy, keep the roads good, and offer aid for those who want to go to school. Government should not be there to hand out money to live on. The breakdown of the black community is a shame, and needs to be dealt with. However, I can not do anything. It is up to every parent to ask where their kid is going, make sure they do their homework, ask then questions in the car, make sure they dress normal(i.e. pants pulled up). I would smack the hell out of my kid and make him change if he ever did that. Be tough on your kids, but love them. Politicians need to be tough on constituents. Society needs your help.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Your kidding right? You cant possibly believe the condition of blacks in this country is their fault.

The US government and Supreme Court has already said that black people arent human beings, its funny how people seem to forget and ignore that.

Look at the aftermath of Katrina and Rita. Who were the people that suffered the most? It was poor black people thats who. Who is taking care of these poor black people? No one. Shoving them in overpacked stadiums doesnt count. Holding back food and water for 4 days so things can break down doesnt help either.

Yes, I agree, the government shouldnt be there to hold your hand, and treaT you like a baby. But the least they can do is not treat us like a bunch of ignorant fools. The least they can do is not STEAL, I repeat steal, money from us with so-called income taxes that are not needed. They can at least not ship in the drugs, and then throw us in jail once we get hooked on it. They can at least not kill our troops in a phony war.

The least they can do is help us out just a little bit.....

[edit on 18-1-2006 by LetKnowledgeDrop]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Yes, I agree, the government shouldnt be there to hold your hand, and treaT you like a baby. But the least they can do is not treat us like a bunch of ignorant fools. The least they can do is not STEAL, I repeat steal, money from us with so-called income taxes that are not needed. They can at least not ship in the drugs, and then throw us in jail once we get hooked on it. They can at least not kill our troops in a phony war.

I want to deal with your arguments one at a time:

1. Taxes-The United States has an income tax which is in place for everyone in the country. This is the first year that I did not qualify for the Earned Income Credit, which gives back a substantial amount of taxes back to the taxpayer. Basically, the lower the income, the more kids, the more you receive back. This is a good way to help the working poor in this country. It helped me, and now I don't need it any more.

2. Government shipping in drugs-Where has this been proven? Well, the cycle needs to be broken. How about having black paernts not commiting crimes, and having a two-person family. Trust me, the government does not conspire to break up black peoples relationships. Furthermore, if the cycle of this situation is broken, then it is more likely that these black people will not get addicted to drugs. Ask where your kids are going------Help them with their homework--------Buy them Hooked on Phonics---------------Discipline them when they are bad---------- and Don't badmouth the police in front of them.

3. Phony war-Well,that is not open to debate right now. We are there, and should probably get on board for oure troops sake.

The more excuses we make for black people, the less likely they will move out of their current situation. We have a problem, and only people like Bill Cosby can change the worldview of these people.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LetKnowledgeDrop
Your kidding right? You cant possibly believe the condition of blacks in this country is their fault.

The US government and Supreme Court has already said that black people arent human beings, its funny how people seem to forget and ignore that.

Look at the aftermath of Katrina and Rita. Who were the people that suffered the most? It was poor black people thats who. Who is taking care of these poor black people? No one. Shoving them in overpacked stadiums doesnt count. Holding back food and water for 4 days so things can break down doesnt help either.

The least they can do is help us out just a little bit.....

first off when did the government and congress say this stuff?
did you not watch tv there were a whole lot of white people in the same condition going through the same thing. maybe theres a bigger black population there. i dont think thats a government conspiracy. and do you think shooting and looting helped the situation any????
we all pay income tax not just black people. so if there stealing from you then there stealing from me so i guess that makes us even right?
there are also just as many white kids dying in the war as black i dont think the government started the war to kill off black people.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Woosh! I'm laughing yall. This is truly entertaining.

First!

How far will this thread go?

I mean, there are a lot of folk that have a lot of advice for us poor misguided black people. Don't you wanna weigh in? Bring all your gripes and complaints HERE. Yes, if you think all black people walk funny, SAY THAT! We wear our hair in peculiar fashions--oh--oh and our fashion...wut up wit dat! And the way we talk! OH MY GOD EBONICS!!!
Oh no she din-ent! S'bout ta getz reeel ugly up'n hur.

btw:

Basically, the lower the income, the more kids, the more you receive back.

That's an actual misconception. The USG will only give the earned income tax credit for two children no matter how many you have and you can make up to 32,000 a year to recieve it for your family. Basically, it's to ease the tax burden on the working poor with families. It's the middle of road tax payers that get back the most--those that make around 20 to 25 thousand a year and have two children--filing head of house hold.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by Agwardlds
2. Government shipping in drugs-Where has this been proven? Well, the cycle needs to be broken. How about having black paernts not commiting crimes, and having a two-person family. Trust me, the government does not conspire to break up black peoples relationships. Furthermore, if the cycle of this situation is broken, then it is more likely that these black people will not get addicted to drugs. Ask where your kids are going------Help them with their homework--------Buy them Hooked on Phonics---------------Discipline them when they are bad---------- and Don't badmouth the police in front of them.

I know this from personal experience. While spending a few weeks with a friend in Costa Rica I saw CIA agents moving processed cocain from coca plantations to hangers for transportation. It's done rather openly, and everyone in the surrounding areas know about it. Costa Rica isn't the type of place where people put their noses where they don't belong, so no one really cares.

As for the governments opinion of black people, It's obvious that those in power need to keep the black man down, and hushed up. Lets not forget the 2000 election where millions of votes from black communities were thrown away, or denied. They knew that if black people had a say, the government would be in for massive changes.

The last time there was a major organization of the black community, the government found it necessary to assasinate the figurehead of this organization and attempt, in vain, to sully his name.

Not only that, but with the media bias towards blacks is shameful. When a black man is carrying food from a store in the aftermath of Katrina he is said to be looting. When a white person is doing the same thing, she is said to be "looking" or "foraging". This is nothing new, and when people try to deny it, it is all the more insulting.

Don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I watched newscasts from Katrina where black and white people alike were carrying out televisions and stereos. Lets be honest.....it went on a lot, and more black people were seen because they stayed.
I can concede that the poor whites were involved, but I also know that many blacks were doing it. As for food, I know many of the police officers were taking a "blind eye" to the looting of food. We all know that in a disaster like that, you really have to pick your battles. Do you arrest everyone? No!! Do you arrest the looters of non-survival items? Absolutely! The problems with Katrina occured due to the high numbers of the population who were not self sufficient.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Hahaha. "The problem with black people is..." That's hilarious!

As far as I'm concerned, everyone could use a little tough love. Why single out black people?

Originally posted by Saphronia
Oh no she din-ent!

Don't forget "A-ight girrrlfrend"!

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
We in the white community have many leaders that will tell us what we should be doing, and do not pander to us. However, the black community does not have any. Jesse Jackson? Al Sharpton? No way!! Jesse Jackson is too busy trying to get black murderers from being executed than to point out problems. Did he point out that Tyesha Miller should not have had guns in her car? No! Did he point out that the guy holding his baby (with gun) during the hostage standoff was a bad man? No! He blamed the police. We should be obeying the law, and not make excuses.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I mean, there are a lot of folk that have a lot of advice for us poor misguided black people. Don't you wanna weigh in? Bring all your gripes and complaints HERE. Yes, if you think all black people walk funny, SAY THAT! We wear our hair in peculiar fashions--oh--oh and our fashion...wut up wit dat! And the way we talk! OH MY GOD EBONICS!!!

Look, it is simply a matter of the way people act, or carry themselves. I have no problem hiring a black person, but there are some requirements. They are as follows:

1. No ebonics-This goes for all races. They must have an adequate undersstanding of the English language. If they talk this way around customers, then they will be talked to. continuing this will result in termination. The educated public of all races do not like this.

2. Dressing appropriately-No boxers showing. People don't want to see this. This goes for black people and "wiggers".

3. Hair in a particular fashion-I will only hire people with a professional looking attire. No braids, words shaved in hair, etc.

I hope everyone understands that when dealing with the public, that businesses ca lose money when having these kind of employees. This goes for whites, blacks, browns, yellows, purples, etc.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by agwardlds
We in the white community have many leaders that will tell us what we should be doing, and do not pander to us.

Like who?

And what about Oprah Winfrey, Barack Obama, Michael Jordan, Tyra Banks, Colin Powell, and that's just off the top of a white girl's head. There are thousands of black leaders and role models.

This goes for black people and "wiggers".
This goes for whites, blacks, browns, yellows, purples, etc.

Then why is it being portrayed as a black issue? (See thread title) I hate bigotry, man.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

And what about Oprah Winfrey, Barack Obama, Michael Jordan, Tyra Banks, Colin Powell, and that's just off the top of a white girl's head. There are thousands of black leaders and role models.

O.k., lets talk about these leaders.....

1. Oprah Winfrey-Needs to be more outspoken about the problems in her community. I did like what she said about Ludacris' music. She scowled at him. great!

2. Tyra Banks-Too busy showing her breasts to really care.

3. Colin Powell-Great leader! What can I say? I just wish that the majority of the black community didn't view him as an "Uncle Tom". I think that if more people in his community used him as a rolemodel(as opposed to Snoop Doggy Dog), then things would be much better. Great guy!

4. Michael Jordan-I have yet to hear him speak out against the damage some of his people are doing to the black community. If he did, then i'm sure I could give him credit.

I am not a bigot as others on this thread have said. In fact, I am a teacher. I have black kids in my class, and they do agreat job. Both kids have parents that are together. One father is in law enforcement, and the other is in the military. Great families. I have a lot of respect for them. Oh, and by the way...one of them was struggling in reading. Her father bought her Hooked on Phonics to help her. Great job.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Please answer BH's question. Why are you making this a black issue and I'll add one of my own. Why is this so important to you as a white male, who openly separates the issues that effect the so called white community from the so called black community?

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   

1. Oprah Winfrey-Needs to be more outspoken about the problems in her community. I did like what she said about Ludacris' music. She scowled at him. great!

These are just your personal judgments about these people. It has nothing to do with them being black.

If you think Tyra Banks is showing her breasts, you don't know anything about her beyond her Victoria Secrets ads. She is a VERY intelligent and generous person.

You don't like the way Michael Jordan and Oprah Winfrey hep da po' black foke?? Please!

I am not a bigot as others on this thread have said. In fact, I am a teacher.

SO what? Teachers can be bigots, too.
And I'm the first in this thread to bring up the word, but you've probably been called that elsewhere. But I call a spade a spade.

There are several good questions you have yet to answer.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Please answer BH's question. Why are you making this a black issue and I'll add one of my own. Why is this so important to you as a white male, who openly separates the issues that effect the so called white community from the so called black community?

It is important to me, because I have seen this cycle be completed many times. Poor, uneducated black people raising kids that will grow up to be poor and uneducated. It is unfortunate that this will continue to happen until the cycle is broken.
As an educator I can only do what is possible to help these kids, but a lot of it starts at home. When parents don't value education, then we see what happens.
Unfortunately, last year none of the parents of my black student showed up at Open House. Not to mention several did not show up for conferences, even with a reminder note the night before.
Statistically, I can see a correlation with being black and not getting what is needed at home to be a productive member of society.
I have never seen these kind of issues with my Asian students, or my white students. I see this only with Hispanic and black students. I think that language plays a large part of this with the Hispanics. What is the excuse for the black families.
I think that the Democrats are really making the situation worse with pandering of blacks, and buying votes. "I'll offer you welfare. I'll give you money to live with". This is, i n a sense, bribery of the masses.
I think the reason I am so serious about this issue is, because I have seen former students get arrested, get shot, and even serve time in prison. We as a society(including blacks) need to wake up and deal with the problem. I know what needs to be done.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
You raise some really valid points. Now, there maybe several reasons why parents aren't showing up for your conferences. Maybe some have to work or maybe you are right, and some are not paying attention to what their kids truly need. I don't think it has anything to do with a democrat or a government hand out or the color of a person's skin though, because you see this happen to many poor people. Some parents just drop out of life--maybe things haven't turned out like they expected so they turn to drugs and alcohol to become numb or maybe they turn on the t.v. and zone out after work. The point is they aren't there for their children and it doesn't have anything to do with the color of their skin.

Even with poor people I wouldn't suggest you use cookie cutter logic to explain why they aren't raising their kids the way you feel they should. As their teacher you can only do so much just like parents. It is up to the child to either want it or not. There is a thing called rising above your surroundings. Nobody asks to be born into this world and many come here unwanted. Still life isn't a team sport. Nobody can do it for you at some point you are either going to work it out or fold up and zone out. Everyone isn't going to go to college or even work...our economy couldn't support that anyway.

Maybe your heart is in the right place, but it seems your perception is clouding your view of the overall effects of poverty. A person doesn't just wake up one day and become poor. They can actually point to the choices and mistakes they have made that caused their poverty. Depression is side effect as well as drug abuse and alcoholism and none of these diseases and afflictions are race specific.

Neither are the programs you feel are "holding black people down". There are more white folk on the welfare rolls than black and hispanics, and I only say that to say this...when you look out at america with a white v. black attitude you over simplify our problems with poverty. Many, for their own selfish reasons, have effectively put a black face on poverty in this country and made those black people the scapegoat or the "problem" with this society. They play on peoples faulty perception of black folk and then they get votes. Tis smoke an mirrors, but you will actually have to want to wade through all the bs and come out on the other side.

It seems like you are saying their are good black people and bad black people. Okay, that's true of everybody. There are good people that take care of their children and their are dead beats...race aint got one thing to do with it. I hope one day ou will be able to see that.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   
My mother rarely came to open houses when I was in school. Now that I am grown, I see the reasons. She was a single mother, who worked a full time job while going to school. I think we both realized that the methods governing the public school were completely screwed. It always came down to administrators, teachers, or counselors insisting on knowing what was best for other peoples children. Most of the time it involved means that weren’t available to our family at the time, or ideologies that were more twisted then we were willing to accept.

I notice how you point out the two black students you have. I’m assuming you teach elementary or middle school in a “white community”? Chances are that you don’t have much direct experience with the separate “black community” of which you so familiarly speak. Employment is often hard to find. Most people get their jobs through nepotism or other connections. In a community where your only connections are to people who either sell drugs or work low paying jobs, then guess what, they only get low paying jobs. This goes even further. If you don’t have connections, then you need to find a job the old fashioned way. I know that as a white male you probably don’t notice racism, but it is there and permeating. Even if it’s only that “gut feeling” that you shouldn’t hire this person, caused by a reaction in the amygdala stemming from something you saw in a movie.

I currently work fixing computers. My coworkers are white, Asian, and Hispanic. A very noticeable reaction when I walk into a house is the immediate double-take, then the subsequent looming that occurs. This happens at nearly every house that I visit, and I’ve been doing this for years. My Asian and white coworkers don’t experience this in anything close to the proportions that I experience it. If this is a known feeling of discomfort, then who would want their clients feeling uncomfortable. This leads to the positions that are less hands on and more behind the scenes, and often less paying, then being the “face” of the company.

As long as there are no jobs, other means of income are needed. If it means drugs, then so be it. We need to open up more options and give people viable job opportunities with pay comparable to drug sales, and we have a start. I think it will take a few more generations, however, for both sides to get over their own racism.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

My mother rarely came to open houses when I was in school. Now that I am grown, I see the reasons. She was a single mother, who worked a full time job while going to school. I think we both realized that the methods governing the public school were completely screwed. It always came down to administrators, teachers, or counselors insisting on knowing what was best for other peoples children. Most of the time it involved means that weren’t available to our family at the time, or ideologies that were more twisted then we were willing to accept.

How about the idealogy of simply doing your homework, or reading at home for practice? Research has shown that students need to read at least 30 minutes per day to improve your skills. How do you get better? Practice! You have no idea how many parents let their kids run them over, and control the situation.
"I don't know what to do!" "I can't ge them to do his homework!" "As soon as he comes home the tv goes on!" Well, who is the parent? I suppose my expert advice is simply telling parents to turn off the tv during homework time. We don't turn on the tv from 4-5pm each day during homework. Its not easy for a single parent, but hopefully families can break the cycle and stay married. I do commend your mom for going to school, though.

[edit on 22-1-2006 by agwardlds]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

At what point does society stop making excuses? Its time to transcend to a higher level of life, and quit making excuses. My wifes uncle is 40, in and out of home, does not work, and receives money from his mom(in retirement). This guy is a piece of work. I am mad when I see this guy ruining his mom's golden years. Its just simply wrong. Yet, she is always making excuses for him. "His dad died when he was young". "He has ADHD". "He tries". "He is a good person". This is crap!
The excuses have to stop! Liberals are too busy making excuses for why, and not busy enough dealing with the problem. Unfortunately, black liberals fall into this trap. They believe that government is the answer.
In reality, government should be there to stimulate the economy, give a leg up(welfare) if needed, and and keep the roads good for travel to get to work. Thats all government should be there for.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LetKnowledgeDrop

Actually, I believe I heard somewhere that it was really the fault of the people in the community for the flooding in the first place.

They had an opportunity years ago to have the levys fixed, but they protested when the city tried to come in and fix them, because they didn't want to take the chance of a little street flooding. I think it would have been worth the cost.

As for you agwardlds, the government has many responsibilities. I agree that welfare shouldn't be a permanent income, that it should be more of a stepping stone/temporary help, but you can't deny that it has more responsiblities than just keep roads good.

BTW I totally disagree with your parenting techniques.
~Joehayner

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join