It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tartessus,Tartessos = Atlantis??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 08:43 AM
link   
There is nothing quite so invigorating as the story of a lost city. Stories from archaeology and fiction are replete with such tales, both real and fanciful.

One such lost city was called Tartessus or Tartessos by the ancient Romans and Greeks respectively. Some people think that the city called Tarshish in the Old Testament of the Bible refers to that same city.

The ancient Greek philosopher, Plato, told us about the virtual sea of mud and debris where once brave Atlantis stood. The German archaeologist Adolph Schulten thought that Tartessus was the historical Atlantis and set about searching for the ruins. Alas, he never did find the ancient city. It remains undiscovered to this very day.

Link

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I know I say it until I'm blue in the face, but Atlantis the city, was in South America... The continent of Atlantis is still there (South America)... Only the capital sunk, and the few remains can be found in the Altiplano region...

www.geocities.com...

Another good site, pointing out some mistaken beliefs of those seeking Atlantis...

www.atlantisquest.com...

Finally, the translated Critias text itself. Read it for yourself, bearing in mind South America, and see if it doesn't match. Pay close attention while reading it, for it is also a tale of ancient Greece (i.e. before Plato's time), so be careful to note where Plato digresses....

www.sacred-texts.com...

[Edited on 29-9-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It is said that the people of Atlantis were advanced beyond anything imaginable, but yet they did not have the vision of their own doom? Or does being that advanced cause one to think they are invincible? And what does that bode for our civilization?

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 04:33 PM
link   

It is said that the people of Atlantis were advanced beyond anything imaginable, but yet they did not have the vision of their own doom?

Yes, but said by whom? The only mentions of Atlantis historically, that we have to go on, do not mention this level of advancement...this was an extrapolation by sci-fi authors...read the text. It is provided in the above links...
You'll see no mention of flying craft, death rays, etc.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Ahh but only if I could remember where I read it. I am not refering to that type of advanced. More of a relationship between when Atlantis existed and the state of their, technology per say.

In regards to the articles, all good, but no mention really of the people, more about the location.

Guess I will spend the night trying to find it...

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Gazrok The German archaeologist Adolph Schulten thought that Tartessus was the "historical" Atlantis,i was more interested in the Lost City tartessus as it still remains lost to this day.....The lost city/civilization was in the link i posted....

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well, considering the source of the article I found recently and bookmarked.....having not really read it yet...sorry, "The search for Atlantis 'ends at Ayia Napa'"
Link:
www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2003/09/28/wnapa28.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/09/28/ixworld.html

Though, I am sure a well known 'doctor' who goes by the screen name "Dr. Sunil" will contest this.....

"Where was Atlantis? Sundaland fits the bill, surely!"
Link:
www.grahamhancock.com...

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 29-9-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Then you have the Russian belief that Atlantis is under the Antarctica....History channel did a show on this Sept. 24, 2003 which disclosed these interesting pictures: (I hope they come out)

Look at the last closely...you can almost make out the concentric circles (?) that I believe Plato describes.

Here is the Pravada article: Its interesting that 'Pravada' equates, I think, in English, to Truth....sometimes I wonder.

Atlantis Under Antarctica?"
Link:
english.pravda.ru...

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 29-9-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 05:22 PM
link   
When you consider what people search for as an indication of where Atlantis is, such as a great flood plain, be it in antarctica or in south america, they are refering to the fine works of Plato. Who was a disillusioned philospher, after his master Socrates was forced to drink poison, he created in his literature an ideal society for Athens, where he lived. I seriously doubt whether he meant us to take it so literally. Its much like Thomas moore with his utopian vision. Nobody is looking for the mysterious land of Utopia. I am not saying there are no grains of truth in it, but are we looking at the question in the right way. Check out both texts: Platos and Thomas Moore's Utopia. If a society did disappear so cataclismically would irrigated fields still be present. This is why I think the taressus idea may hold credibility. I have know wish to annoy anyone feel free to come back and discredit my literary perspective!

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Ahh....but then you are reading the Critias work wrong... When speaking of the irrigated fields, he is speaking of Athens... You have to really read it for the switch from speaking of ancient Athens, to then speaking of ancient Atlantis. He is describing a war between Athens and mysterious invaders...so, he first describes both peoples as they existed at the time...

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yes I accept that he talks about athenians in the same breath as atlanteans 'or a mysterious race' but this mysterious people are a mirror to athens in a metaphorical way. The criteria are non existent as a definitive reference point for locating atlantis today.

but I take your point I should have been more clear.

new topics

top topics

join