It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran new Attack helicopter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Iran has run a new attack helicopter that would showed below. But as same as a lots of other aircraft built in Iran, few people knew something about it. please correct me if I was wrong, there are few Iranian here, maybe they would knew what about these.
external image

[edit on 31-12-2005 by emile]

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 31/12/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Don't know anything about it, but it looks like a Jet Ranger, and a Cobra had a kid.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   
really? If I give you picture that a little bit bigger than before one, what would you say?

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
the one that would prob know is banned lol
so we will have to see if there are any more iranian experts

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
really? If I give you picture that a little bit bigger than before one, what would you say?

The side view, behind the cockpit looks like a Jet Ranger, without the cargo/passenger area, but the angles, and chin turret look like a Cobra.

Jet Ranger

Cobra

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I guess is a hybrid of spare parts from americar helicopters that are collecting dust is some hangar. I guess they were missing the cockpit of the 260 and used one of the cobra.

I don't know that Iran is indeed very capable of actually build a helicopter from scratc, specially when Russian would sell them as many as they want

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
it looks like a mass produced mix of airplane parts there are no style nor stealth it would light up a radar screne most likely its for securety purposese b/c of the 2 armerments of just a rocket pod and a gat. gun also there is a lack of pylons so it is very vonarable to air and ground atack i would wonder if it where actualy produced or just slaping some "upgrades" on some old rusky choper lol

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I dunno but Iran sure has better choppers then that one lol

[edit on 31-12-2005 by Snake64_009]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Looks like to prop for a movie or perhaps a recon helicopter. I can tell for for cetain that the Cobras that Iran has would perform better than the heap in the photo.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Well, It sure looks like a cobra (from the nsoe) are there any better pics of this new helicopter...??

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
Well, It sure looks like a cobra (from the nsoe) are there any better pics of this new helicopter...??

No, it does not look like a cobra.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Artist's impression of the helicopter:

Whilst the boom and rotor gear appears to be off the Jet Ranger (note that Iran is already producing a Jet Ranger clone), the fuselage is COMPLETELY redesigned. The engine(s) is lower and further aft. The cockpit and nose ARE NOT taken from the Cobra. Many of Iran's Cobras have the buble canopy -Iran experimented with refitting these with flat glass canopies to reduce glint, but this was unsuccessful.

This new design appears to be a scout helicopter. The gun under the nose, if that is what that dark line is, is too small to be anything more than a HMG -certainly not the Cobra's 20mm. The size and power of the jet ranger makes it an ideal base for a scout helicopter (Kiowa in US service for example) but it cannot carry much in the way of weapons. it certainly won't be in the Apache class.

There is no reason why this wouldn't be a reasonably good scout helicopter.

More interestingly, this could be a demonstrator leading up to a more capable attack helicopter design.

[edit on 1-1-2006 by planeman]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
looks like a kit plane tinker toy are you serous the KEY to a scout anything is to see with out being seen this would light up a radar like NYC on X-mas DO NOT compare any US choper to this thing its closer to a piper cub

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by engenerQ
looks like a kit plane tinker toy are you serous the KEY to a scout anything is to see with out being seen this would light up a radar like NYC on X-mas DO NOT compare any US choper to this thing its closer to a piper cub
What air arm in the world uses stealth helicopters????

Even the US uses the unstealthy Kiowa Scout (just ordered hundreds more, instead of the Comanche) which itself is based on the Jet Ranger family. Compared to the Kiowa, this has a better fuselage (non glint canopy, narrowers etc) but almost certainly worse sighting systems. Probably about the same performance.

Scout helicopters attempt to use natural cover, like trees, and slow speeds (most airborne radar automatically ignore slow flying objects) to remain hidden. The biggest worry is IR and being visually sighted. In common with most scout helicopters, this design does not appear to have IR suppressors –and even those are of questionable use today.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Ooooh !!! I'll bet they also had to smuggle in 100 or so PlayStation 2's into the country to develop some half-way decent avionics for it as well.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
your right they use cover but look at this
www.army.mil...
you see the big ball on the top?
it can stay behind the tree to look so it would be invisable to almost evrything but wait i dont see any sensors on that choper i dont see anything that resembles a sensor package.

your correct that alot of radars designed to pick up planes ignore such things but the ones that look for o say a truck LOVE slow boxy structures. and its not like there are weapons that look for such targets o say AGM's or any other helos radar look exactly for that.

as for stealth look how thin the cobra is very small forward section. and notice the finish on the cobra its flat dont you sapose there might b some RAM in that b/c no airplane except for the 22 b-2 117 wow wierd ah. now look at your chopper looks like car paint. alright now look at the 64 no flat edges rigt wow go figure and that same finish ....making it harder to target maby minamising the cross section....humm i might b on to something

The biggest worry is IR and being visually sighted

alright then i do love that type of stripy white camo i bet that would realy blend in. lol

also for your refrence look at the abrams all angels same finish maby its resistant also YAY FOR ME lol

i stick with its a light atack craft....and a pathetic one at that

[edit on 1-1-2006 by engenerQ]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   
The first picture seems to be an early prototype/mock-up. This might be a better view of a later stage.

Edit: PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE MIGHT NOT BE OF THE SAME PROJECT

"More finished" version:

external image
external image

[edit on 2/1/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Aerodynamically, the helo pictured above looks no less well designed than the Cobra, Tigre or A129, and is a damned sight less boxy than the Apache, so to level that as a criticism of the design is way off imho.

As for the mast mounted sight alluded to above, what couldn't one be fitted to this chopper too?

Of course the photo's tell us nothing about the specification this helo was designed to but I think I detect a strong odour of 'its from the arabs, lets rip it to bits' here rather than a proper appraisal.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Well as i dont blame some people for there earlier comments these new pictures help me form a bit better of an idea of the helo. The thing is imo not a recon chopper. The size of the chopper is my first hint. The other interesting thing is that unlike the first picture where it appeared to have some sort of chin gun now i only see avionics. the wing stubs are very stuby so not too much is going on them. With no chin turret and very little room for weapons load I see a problem for it not having enough firepower in battle.
The design does look like a mismash of other choppers with the canopy etc but to there credit with some work like an increased payload it could just work.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
It needs to be made 100% clear that the helicopter posted by Lonestar is NOT the Iranian helicopter this thread is about; it is the Scout version of Kazan Ansat, a Russian design.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join