It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pick up problems - rear weel is ''locked'' - help plz

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 03:55 AM
link   
hello, i have a mazda pick up truck 1989, a b2600 4x4!. since yesterday im having a slight problem.

The left rear weel is ''locked'', meaning, it will not turn forward, but it turns fine if i reverse. Only the left rear weel does this, the right rear weel works fine. It happened to me the first time yesterday, and after 30 minutes of switching to 2x4 and 4x4 and fiddling, i got it working. now it seems to be really stuck. What could be the problem? sticky brakes or handbrake? broken transmission? (its kinda new), broken axle? the cold weather maybe? (i live in quebec, canada, but the weather isnt that cold for the season right now - i.e. ive driven it in colder weather fine before)

any hints tips suggestions from the pros on this forum?

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
- Maybe a broken differential..Have you been driving offroad lately?

- Maybe the brakes on that wheel is stuck, take the brakedrum off and have a look.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
no offroad at all, but ive been using the 4x4 a lot because its snowing a lot in these parts in the winter.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
obviously you dont know how to use 4x4 drive. you maily used 4WD when you need to distibute your torque better... like with hills or rough roads. 4WD will obviosuly make you spin your tires less then 2WD, but your not really getting more traction. And if you get stuck while using 4WD your stuck. But you actaully will get more CONTROL if you stick with 2WD and if you are in 2WD and get stuck, you can switch to 4WD get back home and have a beer.

Regardless, it seems you either have locked brakes, or a bad differential. you mgiht be able to fix the breaks on your own, otherwise you are going ot need to tow it to a shop to get it fixed.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
obviously you dont know how to use 4x4 drive. you maily used 4WD when you need to distibute your torque better... like with hills or rough roads. 4WD will obviosuly make you spin your tires less then 2WD, but your not really getting more traction. And if you get stuck while using 4WD your stuck. But you actaully will get more CONTROL if you stick with 2WD and if you are in 2WD and get stuck, you can switch to 4WD get back home and have a beer.

Regardless, it seems you either have locked brakes, or a bad differential. you mgiht be able to fix the breaks on your own, otherwise you are going ot need to tow it to a shop to get it fixed.

well, when there is ice all over the roads and its slippery has hell, 4x4 does indeed drives much better.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
what he's saying is use the 4wd as your "out" just in case...use 2wd and drive slower/more cautiously, and you have the 4wd as your backup in case something does happen. i know it feels better, but you really should leave yourself the safety factor...

it sounds to me like a differential problem, like the clutches on the left side are welded. have you checked the diff fluid level? sounds like time to take it to a reputable shop for an overhaul....

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
i fixed it, it was the handbrake that was stuck, i managed to drive the truck in reverse for into a garage and i used a kerosene heater to bring up the temp and its ok now.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
cool, at least it as cheap and simple...weird you could reverse with the hand brake stuck, but better that than the expensive fix...

top topics

join