It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HEPATITIS C

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Why do you think so many Americans are contracting hepatitis C these days. According to statistics, the vast majority of those newly diagnosed, have never used IV drugs or had a blood transfusion.

[Edited on 28-9-2003 by dollmonster]

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Do you have any links to data, reports, news clips, etc...

I wasn't aware of any increase. Actually I wouldn't know anyway cause I don't really know what the numbers were before an increase either.

Where are you getting your info?

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Hep C was doing the rounds of the tattoo studios a few years ago before austclaving and disposable needles came in. But I havent ever heard of a case transmitted without some kind of body fluid exchange . Either sexual/needles/blood transfusion.

Could you provide a source for your claim that the majority havent contracted the disease through iv drugs?

According to Shering corp

The highest rates of HCV infection are among IV drug users--70% to 90% of IV drug users have HCV infection.

see here for the full story.

www.all-about-hepatitisc.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 07:30 AM
link   
The nasty thing about HC is that it can lay dormant for years in your system until you start to whither away one sunny day.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Number of new infections per year has declined from an average of 240,000 in the 1980s to about 25,000 in 2001.

www.cdc.gov...

The data's through 2001, so there could've been a spike in the last 2 years. I haven't heard anything about it, and haven't been able to find any news or data about a spike....

-B.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I didnt know there was hepatitus C i only heard of A and B

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
I didnt know there was hepatitus C i only heard of A and B

There's actually variants up to Hepatitis E!

-B.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Bloody hell thats scary just like theres variants of SARS.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Ok, now that Iv'e done some research, I can answer my own question. First some background for the uninformed. Hep C wasn't suspected until 1975 or named until 1989. In 1999 there were 4,000,000 people in the US infected with hep C compared to 700,000 people with AIDS. Worldwide there were 400,000,000 with hep C and only 20,000,000 with AIDS.
By 2000, more people died from hep C than from AIDS. 85% of those infected develop chronic hepatitis. This is because the virus continually mutates making it difficult for the immune system to identify and destroy it. Intially it was thought only needle swappers or blood recipients could be infected. Hep A is spread by fecal matter, hep B is sexually transmitted and hep C is passed through blood. This is true, but new evidence reveals you can catch C from sharing straws. Not from
drinking from snorting drugs such as coc aine and speed . Anyone who's ever snorted a line can understand this nose sore theory. And of course everybody knows drugs kill, but who would of thought a mere straw could?

Hepatitis C the Silent Epidemic by Beth Ann Petro Roybal, M.A. and Emmet B. Keeffe, M.D.
Stanford University School of Medicine

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 06:21 AM
link   
It is highly unlikely that I'd get Hep C or the other Heps, I've be vaccinated from them.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 03:36 PM
link   
i dont believe there there is that much of an increase in hep C becuase it is said that cases have droped from

"an average of 240,000 in the 1980s to about 25,000 in 2001."

[url=http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/c/fact.htm]

or maybe my belief is wrong as we are in the year 2003

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Hep C is seemingly the weirder one out the lot?

Currently i am immunised from:

Hep A and B
Malaria
Typhoid
Smallpox
Rabies
Rubella (german measles)
TB
P-nuemocauccus Malaria class 2

The only thing that i aint immunised against is Measles.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Got one on you Gry! I'm immuned to Yellow fever too! Its good to be in the miliitary. Haven't got the Anthrax one.....yet.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   
YO.... the little info i got on HCV, came by way of VA Clinic

One printed page given out to veterans has the statement, underlined for emphasis,
"THERE IS NO VACCINE AVAILABLE TO PREVENT HEPATITIS C"
~~~~published by National Center for Infectious Diseases....(888)4-HEP-CDC, dtd 1/29/01~~~~

There is however....licensed drug treatments for those who blood test positive for HCV...its known as INTERON A (interferon Alpha-2b. Recombinant- for injection)

The VA has established 2 new Hepatitis C Centers of Excellence~~in Miami and San Franscisco.
+++++

experience has presented this:
my VA Clinic Dr. had normal blood tests done to me, 6 mo later informed i had HCV, fill out forms & releases to participate in this INTERON A program...I have funny feeling about this 'charade'...avoid going to Charleston VA Hosp &/or signing up to take this drug program

1 yr later, my Clinic Dr. has Parkinsons, leaves the military....his replacement, scanning my records, takes blood tests TWICE, diagnosis--> no HCV, he accidently expressed a grave bewilderment at how i was deemed a HCV carrier/patient, put in the records at CDC--and how i was prodded to 'volunteer' for INTERION A

the whisper now is that INTERION A was an experiment and was found ineffective at that!!
there might still be the web site:: www.beincharge.com

but i'm not going to get cookies, & CDC, tracking me!!!
~~~~~

all-in-all, just another human guinea pig ploy, mind control, experiments, behavior mod, manipulations...

they'll keep inventing more Heps beyond F 1&2...in actuality all these theoretical HCV and HEV, HFV1 are all suppositions...just presumed 'twists' of the proven, clinical Hep's A & B...

be careful & ON-GUARD.....peace

s/riff raff

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I wasnt aware that there was a vaccination for hepatitis C Cearbhall

-Dagger

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 09:13 PM
link   
yep i got my hep b shot in the 7th grade, doesn't pamela anderson have hep c, i read somewhere that she expects to die in the next 10-15 yrs

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 04:23 AM
link   
There is no hep c vaccine, only a and b.

top topics

join