It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arafats gift to civilization

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 02:56 AM
link   
RABAT - Teenage Moroccan twin sisters who were arrested two weeks ago and accused of plotting to carry out a suicide attack on a supermarket in the capital Rabat, were due to appear in court Friday.

The 14-year-old twins, named at the time of their arrest in early September by Liberation newspaper as Imane and Sanae al Ghariss, are accused of plotting with a friend, also 14, and five radical Islamic accomplices to carry out a suicide attack in a store in Rabat's residential Souissi neighbourhood.

www.middle-east-online.com...

Exactly what were they going to protest? I don't know, but over in the West Bank, they have shown the world how poor and disenfranchised muslims can give their empty lives meaning through death and murder.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I think that suicide bombers there, at the moment , are protesting , not only the occupation, but are trying to show the utter despair the muslims feel .

And by dying...... what more powerful a statement can you give to despair?

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The article is about Morocco. I mention Arafat because he pioneered this type of murderous protest.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Nowadays, it's not even necessarily fanaticism... There are some big rewards out there for suicide bombers' families... Heck, Saddam had a pretty hefty check for them, (yet he doesn't support terrorism!
), as well as Mr. Arafat's supporters...
Sometimes, they see it as a last ditch financial solution....

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Gazrok, SHHHH!!! Saddam WASN'T A TERRORIST!!

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
How can any civilised nation encourage human bombing?
They may think it's honorable, but to us, it will always be an atrocity. They just keep showing to the rest of the world how crazy they are. They really aren't helping their cause. Plus, they are helping to keep alive all the confusion that there is around Islam. Like my old father, who barely knows # about it. What do he always hear? Fanatism...Suicide bombing...etc...etc.. So that's all he knows about it. See what I mean? He's not really educated, but he's certainly not an exception.

Surprised none of you came up with a "Good, they're getting them self out of the gene pool".

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 11:55 AM
link   
14 year old girls planing suicide bombing after living for years in misery and prostitution.... what kind of world have we created?

I don't know how you people feel, but I am close to tears after reading that article....

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I think that it's utterly tagic that there a people who are opressed so much and have such miserable lives that at 14 they would plan a suicide attack. Western civilisation has to stop making these #ups with other countries that lead to such appalling political situations like that between isreal and palastine

[Edited on 29-9-2003 by earthtone]

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Western civilizations aren't the ones convincing them that they are martyrs, not murderers....
Place the blame with the society responsible.... We're not the ones telling them that by blowing up women and babies outside a cafe, they will go to heaven, and their families will be rich.....

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Arafat's gift to civilization?

He pulls his bottom lip over his head and then swallows.

Tada!

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
civilization's gift to Arafat:

IMF: Arafat Diverted $900M to Account

www.kansascity.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Great article...

Here's one thing it says,

U.S. and European governments have complained for years that the Palestinian financial structure is not transparent and does not allow donors to follow their money to projects for the benefit of the people.

Then another...

Meanwhile, the Palestinian finance minister won a promise of additional assistance Saturday with the finance ministers of major industrialized nations as a World Bank official urged donors to help the troubled Palestinian economy, according to a statement issued by the group.

No figure of assistance was given, but an IMF official said Saturday the Palestinians would need "in the neighborhood" of $1.2 billion.

Note: additional commentary in parentheses, provided by General Subliminal from SNL...

So, we can't really see where the money is going...(terrorist families), but we'd like some more (blood) money, to continue our humanitarian (suicide bomber) programs....

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It's no surprise to me that this is Arafat's 'gig' - keep up the infitada, keep telling the world you need money, keeping getting it, and stay in power. What a scam - and what a bunch of suckers we all our (that's our tax money).

the longer he keeps up the infitada the more bling bling Yasser gets.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Interesting, that though the article is dated for Sept 2003...Arafat is referred to as the president...

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Opppsss..bad man....bad....

Check this out:
"Arafat Sent $2,000 Gift to Cheney, a Leading Critic"
Link: was Yahoo, but link not working.

Article:

Yahoo! News ^ | Fri Jun 27, 7:17 AM ET | Adam Entous - Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) received a gift last year worth $2,000 from Yasser Arafat (news - web sites), the long-time Palestinian leader whom the U.S. administration has sought to sideline as an obstacle to peace.

Arafat's gift, an inlaid mother-of-pearl background with a nativity scene in bas relief, was sent to Cheney and his wife, his office said. "Nonacceptance would cause embarrassment to donor (Arafat) and U.S. government," the vice president's office said in documents, which were released this week.

Cheney's spokeswoman, Jennifer Millerwise, said the gift, received on March 19, 2002, was promptly turned over to the U.S. government. "It is now stored at the National Archive," Millerwise said.

Federal rules limit the ability of government officials to keep large gifts from foreign governments. Arafat's gift, valued at $2,000, was among hundreds on a State Department list, which is compiled annually.

Israel's prime minister, Ariel Sharon (news - web sites), gave Cheney a silver sculpture depicting the walled old city of Jerusalem, worth $500, and a handpainted linen table runner worth $150.

Millerwise said the gifts coincided with Cheney's visit to the Middle East in March 2002. At the time, the vice president briefly held out the possibility of meeting with Arafat, but those plans were scrapped.

In the months that followed, Cheney helped spearhead a shift in U.S. policy, announced by Bush on June 24, 2002, to condition peace efforts on Arafat's replacement by leaders "not compromised by terror."

More recently, Bush and Cheney have been pressing European leaders to cut off their contacts with Arafat, who has been largely confined to his Ramallah headquarters since December, 2001, following a spate of suicide bombings against Israel.

Cheney is far from the only senior administration official to receive large gifts from foreign leaders, including Arafat.

In 2001, Arafat gave Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) mother of pearl dioramas of Christ's nativity.

Cheney's other recent gifts include a reproduction of a Faberge egg, ceramic "marriage dolls" and six sterling silver shot glasses with buffalo motif, records show.

This year, Powell reported receiving a bottle of vodka in the shape of a Khalashnikov rifle."

"Saddam's gift to the world"
Link:
wnd.com...

Opppsss, wrong guy...sorry...we are talking Arafat.....
"Arafat's gift to the world...suicide bombing...Arafat must be stopped"
Link:
www.usnews.com...

The only thing I will say, besides he also gave us sky-jacking, is the man needs to go.
Excerpt from the article I posted....
"This is the Palestinian export to the world: suicide terrorism. Suicide terrorism cannot be appeased but must be defeated and destroyed. The Israelis understand that terrorism involves the collaboration between the bomber and his controller; the suicide terrorist is the last link and thus potentially unstoppable. But those behind him can be deterred by inflicting unacceptable damage on them through targeted killings and by occupying their sanctuaries. This toughness is the most effective policy in the short run, even if it causes more grievances in the long run...

and

"Terrorism has to stop first. Until it ends, the Israelis will not negotiate seriously. It is absolutely hopeless to assume that the Palestinians will do this on their own. They will continue to kill Israelis and blame Israel for it."

I don't particularly care for the author, but he is pretty much correct but its obvious that his opinion and thoughts will be considered 'biased.'

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
You know what, I'm trying to find it, but the name Arafat is nowhere in that article. Neither is Palestine.

Arafat didn't invent suicide bombers, and to think that he is sitting around phoning suicide bombers and ordering them to blow themselves up is lunacy. Even if he's as stupid as he looks, everyone has advisors. Most certainly he knows that suicide attacks don't do anything to help Palestine.

"Two Moroccan dailies - Al Ittihad Al Ichtiraki and Assabah - reported in early September that the twins had written to the chief cleric at a Rabat mosque to ask if their planned suicide attack was "legal". The cleric replied that it was not.

The sisters then contacted two Muslim fundamentalist groups in Morocco - Ahl Assounna wal Jamaa and Al Hijra wa Attakfir - who sent the twins documents on Jihad, or holy war, Al Ittihad al Ichtiraki wrote.

"This reassured the two sisters as they plotted their suicide attack," the paper wrote."

Notice the cleric said no, the wacko fundamentalists said, uh okay.

If it were the States, these two girls would have been plotting to rob the place with semi-automatic guns. Or do a driveby.

The strange thing about the article is that it doesn't say what they were trying to protest about. I wonder if it was deliberately withheld so that their grievances weren't publicized.

Seeker: "I don't particularly care for the author, but he is pretty much correct but its obvious that his opinion and thoughts will be considered 'biased.'"

All of ours are.

jakomo

[Edited on 29-9-2003 by Jakomo]

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Uhhhh, like your's are excluded Jakomo....please...
ALL news, history, etc., is 'biased' and only vary in degree. Your comment is like calling the kettle black!

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Arafats contribution to civilization ?

simple - to walk into the UN chamber wearing his pistols

goes along the lines of Khruchchev banging a spare shoe on the table over the Cuban missile crisis.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
14 year old girls planing suicide bombing after living for years in misery and prostitution.... what kind of world have we created?

I don't know how you people feel, but I am close to tears after reading that article....

Yes, what a sick situation, but who is the "we" that created it? The "Palestinian" problem wasn't created by me or you, and it wasn't created by the Israelis, although they are the ones who are demanded to pay the price. It was the arab nations that created the problem and refuse to assimilate their kinfolk. They'd rather continue to use the "Palestinians" as leverage against the Israelis.
Now, decades later, even the young girls are getting in on the action. A sick scene, indeed.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
thomas -

The palestine problem was not created by you or I - but by the intransigence or will of a number of peoples in our govenments. If the Israelis had accepted Maddagascar as a home as originally suggested this would never have happened. Instead of accepting that a group of well meaning American zionists chose to pursuade the president that it was palestine or not. We (the UK) accepted that position - and got ourselves blown up doing so - the King David Hotel bombing. We gave over Israel to the UN mandate - and whats has happened is history.

The root - as i see it is a group of Zionists who would not accept anything but Palestine and the Arab world who will not accpt or tolerate any presence there. And the cause ? - the reign of the Holy Roman empire calling for pogroms and crusades - asking for Europe and by association America to become involved in what is a local dispute.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join