It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantanamo Bay Terror suspects hunger strike enmasse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The number of Guantanamo Bay prisoners taking part in a hunger strike that began nearly five months ago has surged to 84 since Christmas Day, the U.S. military said on Thursday.

Forty-six detainees at the prison for foreign terrorism suspects at the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, joined the protest on the Christian holiday on Sunday, said Army Lt. Col. Jeremy Martin, a military spokesman.

The prisoner population, which the Pentagon says numbers about 500, is believed to be uniformly Muslim. Only nine have been charged with any crime.

boston. com

It is about time they charged some of these people i guess, i bet some of the cases will be hard to prove though.

And what is it with Hunger strikes ? Im sure there effective in Prison's run by civil libitarians but in a hardcore place like Guantanamo you would think that all you would attain is a empty belly !

[edit on 30-12-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

mod edit to shorten link

[edit on 4-1-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
yeah its happened numerous times, they usually just give up. But they are checked up medically everyday and given IV's with the daily nutrients they need at least. I dont see a point, what do we care if they dont eat. No ones making them eat in the first place, I dont get the statement being made.
hunger strike in July

new topics

join