It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 meteor supposed to destroy earth,when would we see it?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I watched the bible decoding show on the history channel last night and it says that the 911 events were found and that another prediction is that the earth will be totally destroyed in 2012 by a meteor. Now I know the gov. has a very small number of people looking into this. I saw a special they said the # of people looking into this was equal to the # of staff of one McDonalds.

I know there are some of you here who know quite a bit about this kind of thing. So my question is how big would this meteor have to be and how long before we start seeing it?

Also there was talk several years ago about one hitting and then they came back and said it would miss us, I wondered then if they were lying about it and did not want to cause widespread panic. Do you think if they knew they would tell us? This is particularly scary since the Mayan calendar says that time will stop on Dec. 21, 2012.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by goose
how long before we start seeing it?

You haven't given enough information.

Also there was talk several years ago about one hitting and then they came back and said it would miss us

Who is they?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The one that we know of is asteroid 2004 MN4 (Apophis) and is slated to pass under our satellites on April 13, 2029, The impact risk diagram show a swath that goes from the Mediterranean through the Middle East and down to the Indian Ocean. You can find more info on it here:

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

I don’t believe this an extremely large one, and the damage it should do, while locally devastating, should not be world wide. Though the effects on weather may be another story. Though I cannot find the source I believe that they said impact would be in the area of 1500 megatons.

My gut feeling is that anything that big getting that close is going to get sucked in by gravity, but you also have to take its speed and angle into account, so it might just skip right out into space.

As to others, one can always slip by and not be noticed until its way to late to do anything about it. We are mainly worried about ones that are 1.2 Kilos and bigger though. Anything smaller then that should only do local damage, they are not earth altering.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I dont believe in the Bible codes for

Why would God place all events that could be found within it,after they happen,which can be be found within other books besides the Torah and only when man has advanced tecnology (computers)

The meteor or Wormwood as described in the Bible is being looked out for and any other debris by the Aussie Gov.
www.ips.gov.au...

The Mayan calander as i`ve been informed ends its cycle in 2012 not the end of the world.

Tho i do believe we are not far from the end times told in the Bible but a lot has to happen yet.

Edit to add
you beat me to the link Defcon5

[edit on 29-12-2005 by gps777]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Don’t sweat it too much you only have a 1 in 6000 chance of dying from an asteroid….

Killer Asteroids and You
What are the chances that you will die because an asteroid hits the Earth? The idea is ludicrous, right? The odds must be infinitesimal when compared to, say, the chances of death in an airplane crash or a tornado. We've heard of people who died in tornados or plane crashes, but who was ever killed by an asteroid? Little ones, meteorites, make streaks in the night sky. Bigger ones may occasionally make a hole in a corn field somewhere. But asteroids never kill anyone, do they?
As it turns out, odds are about 2.4 times greater that you will be killed by a asteroid or comet than by an air crash or tornado, both taken together. Asteroid are surprisingly dangerous. If big one hit the Earth at the wrong place, it could kill many people. And a sufficiently big one could kill everyone.
Last June at San Juan Capistrano, California, about 200 scientists met to discuss the dangers and technological fixes for the problem of killer asteroids. Two scientists, Clark R. Chapman and David Morrison, reported application of the techniques of risk assessment to the risk of death from comets and asteroids. Their conclusions are both surprising and frightening. They estimate that over a 50 year period the chances for a given individual of death from asteroid or comet impacts are about 1 in 6,000. This compares to 1 in 20,000 odds for death in an airplane crash, 1 in 50,000 for death in a tornado, 1 in 5,000 for death by electrocution, and 1 in 2,000 for death in a firearms accident.

Just for fun, I thought I would scare you a bit more…

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Because they predicted this since its in 2012 by that time comes all royalty checks and book sales will be firly in there bank accounts

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I dont believe in bible codes because.... you can get "codes" from every book.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Well I think that the fact that the word Torah showing up at exact intervals throughout each book is a pretty clear indication that there is something more to this then can just be brushed off. One of the main guys to admit there was something to this was the head cryptographer for the US government. I think I am going to take his word over the last two posters.

PS:
Since you both know so much, isn’t against the TC to make one-line posts, especially when they don’t add anything to the discussion but sarcasm?

[edit on 12/30/2005 by defcon5]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Well I think that the fact that the word Torah showing up at exact intervals throughout each book is a pretty clear indication that there is something more to this then can just be brushed off. One of the main guys to admit there was something to this was the head cryptographer for the US government. I think I am going to take his word over the last two posters.

Ok Defcon5 i`ll keep an open mind to it,but personally see no value it would have on an individual being a Christian or not.

Or is the main defense of it by people simply because it proves Gods hand in writing it?

If thats so i dont think its a great display of Gods power given other books also do similar albeit as you say not as well.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Here you go, Apophis 'The Destroyer'.

NASA not to deflect asteroid

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
I watched the bible decoding show on the history channel last night and it says that the 911 events were found and that another prediction is that the earth will be totally destroyed in 2012 by a meteor.

yeah, i saw it too. i guess you missed the part where they were finding the exact same results in melville's "moby dick."

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I'm not buying much into the Bible codes thing too much either. What I mean is that I don't buy it that the history channel figured it out.

One thing I do know about an asteroid in December of 2012 is....that's when the asteroid Apophis will be close enough to the Earth that they'll be able to pick it up with telescopes again. The tracking that they did with it earlier this year was enough for them to plot a precise enough course to be pretty sure that it wouldn't collide with the Earth in 2029. Rather, they are more concerned about it's next pass after that. It was accurate enough that they reduced the probability to about 1 chance in 5000. That means that it's still in the scope of possibility. The latest plots put it passing the Earth somewhere between 5,000 & 30,000 miles away.

In early 2013, they'll have a much more precise track on it. One has to wonder though....if they figured it out that it would impact the Earth, what would they do to try to change that in 16 years until 2029? Would they tell us about it?

I wonder if we're being told the whole truth about it. There does seem to be an extremely limited amount of information. I'm not too worried about it...I'll wait til 2013 to hear more.

On the subject of celestial collisions with the Earth, y'all might want to check into a disintegrating comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 that will threaten in April/May of 2022. It will be making a pass by the Earth this Spring that is close enough to make it visible to the naked eye(comet debris scattered across 10 million miles, closest known pieces expected to pass 5 million miles from Earth). It may bring some meteor showers with it this year.

An interesting piece of info in regards to this comet....

In August 2002, there was a NASA device that mysteriously disappeared. It was called Contour and was supposed to rendezvous with this 73P comet in June 2006. They still don't know what happened to it...it is presumed destroyed. That would be a great way to turn a commonly known project into a top secret project.

Things to make you think...

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by davenman
An interesting piece of info in regards to this comet....

In August 2002, there was a NASA device that mysteriously disappeared. It was called Contour and was supposed to rendezvous with this 73P comet in June 2006. They still don't know what happened to it...it is presumed destroyed. That would be a great way to turn a commonly known project into a top secret project.

Things to make you think...

Yep it would,if 73P or any other large object was on a direct collision coarse with this planet say in five years or so would you want to know,probably i should ask do you think everyone else should be told?

I`d personally privately like to know so`s i could spend all my money going places i`ve planned on seeing when i retire,God willing.

AWWhh!! second thoughts i cant keep a secret,i`d have to tell ya.They probbably know this to be the case and why they would`nt tell me,dont laugh they wont tell you either.

Just imagine the nutters running around if it became public tho,thats equally as disturbing as the meteor.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Honestly,

I don't know if I would want to know about it. If I or my brilliant kids could be of any assistance in finding a solution to the problem, then of course I'd want to know. Otherwise, ignorance is bliss. Then again...smelling something amiss is great torment and causes me to come to a website like this at all hours of the night where I can bounce a few conspiracy theories off of some people who are open to such possibilities.

If the world knew of such a thing, it would pretty much cause global colapse of currencies, massive food hording, terrible wars, widespread violence of all types, governments working to build massive underground facilities to hide in while sending secret spacecraft after such an object in an effort to divert it...and many other forms of panic. Hmmm...perhaps it would be best kept a secret.

Give my kids a ticket aboard the ark and I'll keep quiet too.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I once read that if you are on the beach and you see a tidal wave, it's too late.... your done for. As for 21/12/2012, the Mayan calendar calls that the first day of the new sun. So, by then, the object, were it to be the instrument of our doom, would be smouldering in a crater somewhere. I for one am not at all concerned. Like that would help matters if I was. Read the book by Allen and Delair called 'Cataclysm' for a peak at what it might be like to witness such an event. It is an excellent description of the last one, that wiped out the mammoths, giant sloths, sabre toothed tigers, and maybe even Atlantis...

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by davenman
On the subject of celestial collisions with the Earth, y'all might want to check into a disintegrating comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 that will threaten in April/May of 2022. It will be making a pass by the Earth this Spring that is close enough to make it visible to the naked eye(comet debris scattered across 10 million miles, closest known pieces expected to pass 5 million miles from Earth). It may bring some meteor showers with it this year.

Goose its passing through the tail debris of something like this that would give us the highest chance to hit something unexpectedly. Heaven only know what kind of chunks of crap are being left behind in that things tail, or how big they are…

All the meteor showers that we go through every year are from passing through the tails of this or that comet.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
i doubt it but go check out nasa's near earth projects and try to get a formal name for this "killer"

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I don't think there would be any announcement of any impending impact until the last possible minute, which would doubtless be just before it could not be kept secret a day longer.
The worldwide panic would be immense & just as catastrophic as the impact itself.

Society would disintegrate completely.
Anarchy would replace law & order
It would be dreadful

When I was young & naive, I used to believe that we all had a "right" to know the truth - whatever it might be.
Now I'm a little older, I realise that we certainly do not have any such right.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I don't think this was what the original poster meant, but it would take a meteor the size of the moon to destroy the earth, and that would only happen if it was going fast enough. That actually happened to Earth BTW, which is why we have a moon. A large enough rock hit earth, bounced off, and eventually became what we now know as the moon.

-P

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Recently, an asteroid was sighted that came closer to us than the moon. If I recall it was large enough to do some serious damage. The scary part is that they spotted it two weeks after it passed by... and then they lost it again. A meteorite 5 miles across would cause extinctions, even if it hit in the most favourable location, like the south pacific. Imagine, when it hit the ocean floor, half of it would still be above water.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join