It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Hole (NC secret installation)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Check out this image from Google Maps:

Google Maps

Anybody got ideas? I think it's a communications center. It's out in Pittsboro, NC. I've actually driven out there and up to it but there's a roadblock in front of it. The funny thing to me is the irregularly shaped clearings all around it. Also, ex-employees have reported that there is an expansive underground complex and that the buildings you can see are just the tip of the iceberg. Those two buildings in the middle are the only significant structures on the area, other than the guardposts. The line you see running around it is a barbed-wire fence. Here's another picture:

Pic 2

One of the weirdest things is the bizarre shapes the buildings are in.

Here are the facts I know about it:
-It's run by AT&T under government contract
-There's an AT&T office just down the road from it
-It's definitely an underground complex, the question is what they use it for now
-It was built as an AUTOVON switching center, but now apparently serves a different purpose, because AUTOVON is dead and it is still operational.
-Many of the communications dishes have disappeared over the years
-It is, supposedly, one of about twenty ex-AUTOVON sites to have been fully hardened and equipped to survive everything but a direct hit from a ballistic missile

[edit on 29-12-2005 by holafromdurham]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I dont know if THIS would help you, there is a few web sites if you serch Google.

This is a very intresting pics by the look of the pics.

[edit on 29-12-2005 by picklewalsh]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Check here. It's an old Tropospheric scattering array station. It was used for continunity of government communications during the cold war. I live about 10 miles from the station known as VA-6 which is between Charlottesville and Gordonsville atop Peter's Mountain. Much speculation as to what goes on up there, they are currently renovating. Tropospheric Scatter Array is not used anymore so some of these sites are shutdown and defunct. But yours and mine are not, they are still fully functional for some other use. I know from being a firefighter in the area that anytime we have to go up there for something like a brush fire, the firefighters have to sign a non-disclouser agreement. I've never been up there but I've heard. -muzz

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hello and welcome to ats, you are practically my neighbor

I found this very interesting, as I have traveled by this area many times over the years and I have never read nor heard about this installation.
Thanks for the post.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Man-
That map is awesome. Great find.

What could they be used for now? I mean, communication is all done over encrypted IP tunnels now. I doubt it's doing comm work. But they haven't abandoned them and, in your case, it's under renovation. It appears to me that they're taking on a completely new purpose. Possibly missile defense, possibly research, I have no idea. What I do know is that mine expands for probably 8 or more floors underground. Throw some ideas at me.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I'm always interested by geofront and subterrainean stuff. I did some looking around in several sources of aerial/sattellite imagery (the free stuff, of course) and found a decent shot from above. It's telling that the imagery available for this specific area was restricted to an arbitrarily lesser resolution than that available for anywhere about 100 yards away from it's perimeter. Obviously even if it's scaled back by AT&T, it's probably just a matter of re-tooling. It's still a sensitive area.

Big Hole Aerial Image

In the linked picture, I've marked several things. The orange arrow and red circles refer to the original poster's "pic 2" image from outside the fence. The arrow indicates the probable angle of the viewer, and the red circles indicate the two structures visible in such. The blue circles indicate what the image was unable to show, the main entrances to the facility. The southernmost one appears to be a pedestrian enterance to the semi-sub level. The northern one looks like it could fit a sizable motorvehicle.

If they ever really retire this place, I'd love to buy it. First thing to go in would be a giant swimming pool. If you're going to go swimming, you might as well do it shielded from EMP and nearby nuclear explosions!

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Whoa. Whoa. WHOA.

I just read the Independent article. Listen to this quote:

Randy Pelosi, a former Chatham resident who now lives in Wake Forest, says that he couldn't help but focus on "the crazy cloud thing" that appeared over Big Hole one summer afternoon in 1991. From about a mile away, Pelosi and a friend sat on a porch and peered toward the site. "The sky all around that place was clear, but right over where that hole is, there was a giant dark cloud," Pelosi recalls. "We watched it for hours. Regularly, every couple of minutes, lightning flashes would go do down into that place.

Now that's weird. I mean, I have no reason to believe it, but then again, I have no reason not to, either.

But here's some more about the structure of it:

1. The whole underground portion is suspended from a superstructure ceiling to cushion bomb blasts
  2. The bottom floor sits on a cradle of gravel and springs
  3. The walls are one and a half foot thick concrete and are sheathed with copper to protect from EMP pulses
  4. They have independent emergency generator systems
  5. They have room, food, and medical supplies to sustain thirty people for at least three weeks
  6. The have decontamination chambers and air filtration systems for the entire facility

This is bizarre. It makes it seem like they almost consider it a possible target from enemy missiles, which is sorta worrisome.

Anyway, interesting stuff. It reminds me of Half-Life, except close to home.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Bighole is just one of the many COG sites around the US. The facilities were upgraded a year or two ago and the networks are being updated too. After 9/11 all COG sites were slated to receive MAJOR updates...and righlty so.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Wait

I know I sound like an idiot, but what does COG stand for??

Wait...continuity of government???

So lemme get this straight...we're talking small-time Mount Weather here?

[edit on 1-1-2006 by holafromdurham]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
It's a troposcatter communications link, from back in the days before internet, fiber optics, and reliable high bandwidth satellite communications.

Troposcatter was 1960's tech of how to get "somewhat longer than line-of-sight" communications. Presumably cables were considered vulnerable?

Perhaps this was suitable for 'broadcast' communication to mobile receivers not on a network or something. It was intended for post-nuclear-attack military communications.

I bet that these days they re-use the facilities for secure military internet links.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I am from the lower part of chatham co. The Hole is an old anolog comunication system that has been "hardened". I was mostly solenoid relay switch gear, which is much less suseptible to emp than silicon chips. As far as what is happening there now I have not heard anything but i believe it would be upgrading to a new comunications system. And as far as Randy Pelosi goes, there are a lot of "dreamers" that live in the Pittsboro area. Highway 15-501 and HWY 64 passes within 8 miles of the hole so if it was a note worty event that he witnessed i would expect alot of other observers saw it to as these are haevily traveled roads.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
OK so I lived about a mile from Big hole. Had no idea that it was anything but a normal road. My internet got cut off one night (about 6 months ago) and I went looking around for an unsecured wireless signal to finish my e-mail I was writing. There is not much on mt. gilad church rd. so I was checking out the side streets. Turned down Big hole rd. and there were a few nice looking houses but couldn't find a reliable signal. Then I started seeing dead end signs and so forth but I also seen what looked like a traffic signal. So I figured that maybe there was a bridge out or something and the traffic light was 15-501. So I kept going. All of the sudden a spot light came on behind me and in front of me and there was what looked like a construction barrier blocking what looked like a small bridge. I then noticed that the barrier was automated and that there was some kind of card reader or key pad to enter the place. As I backed out of the place there were all kinds of cameras on me and signs warning people off. I continued on my way with all intentions of finding out what this place was. I was going to get a wireless signal and look at the site on Google maps satellite image. Need less to say I forgot all about it until tonight. Looked at it and all it looked like was a parking lot with some small little buildings so I googled it. and came across all kinds of stuff. seems kind of strange to me while I lived there , there were all kinds of weird bugs. Like something out of the movies. and I also lived about 10 miles away at another place and no such bugs there. Who knows what is going on there but I would love to. Maybe some day I can get close enough to get some pictures with out getting shot or locked up.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I know for a while they was or still is a continuity of government plan to put some potential presidential survivors on C130s and in the air.
They had/have a special pallets with communication equipment that can be put on any C130 and turn it into a COG aircraft with the VIP onboard. Plus they would be hard to tell what C130 was the right plane for anyone trying to nuke it.

A geologist i know worked on mapping dry lake beds in the western US to be used as landing sites for these COG aircraft.

Two of the dry lake beds were the black rock desert where the burning man festival is held and the Bonneville salt flat.
There were many more that he mapped. some where over 100 that a C130s or air force one could land on.
Likely the lake bed at area 51 was one of them. Like the movie Independence Day.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Check out pictures of the major AT&T Underground Centers located near Washington DC. And many other communications(Civilian and Military)Networks located around the world. Echelon(NSGA/NIOC),etc,etc.

www.panoramio.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Sorry to burst your bubbles but its closed now. Anyone can walk past the barriers for a closer look. There was an N&O story recently describing how they moved the last equipment out of the bunker. BTW I dont think I saw anyone post this yet so I'll add this info: it's 13 stories deep. Oh and take that Pelosi guy's comments w/ a grain of salt. He's kind of a flaky, wacko musician.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Maybe some day I can get close enough to get some pictures with out getting shot or locked up.ME TOO

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
B etter View

Just a bit better view. Looks like it definately goes underground

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I know this is a back from the dead kinda thread. I took a ride out to the big hole today, and since nov 2008 the camera has been replaced with a new 360 degree view type camera and the barrier in the road has been put back up, vehicular traffic has also been spotted leaving the compound. Not to mention the fresh pavement. Local newspapers had reported the place had been closed down and abandoned in august 2008, but that is CLEARLY not the case. Any speculation as to what its new purpose might be?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
AND BECOME A

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Is this the road that when you turn on it there is a mobile home on the left and a big open field on the right? I'm pulling up the map, but I'm not sure if it is the same place I think it is.

You turn on the road and there is a trailer to the left, an open field to your right, and then nothing for a little bit. Then when you get to the trees there is a cabin in the trees on the right. As you come around the curve there are multiple cameras in the trees. Then you see what looks like a yellow and black steel barrier that raises and lowers from the ground.

Am I thinking about the right place?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join