It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"It's not Merry Christmas; it's Happy Holidays."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Christmas eve. About 7AM. Most people are asleep, but lucky for me, I'm at work (Starbucks... And yes, that was sarcasm.) The one repercussion to this is that I'm going to say Merry Christmas to people and force myself into the holiday spirit, despite being stuck at work on this oh so holy of days. I gave this lady her change, said Merry Christmas, and what do I hear? "It's not Merry Christmas; it's Happy Holidays. Not everybody celebrates Christmas, remember?" I asked her what she celebrated, and it was Chanukah. Being who I am, I said "Happy Chanuka." She didn't look too thrilled. Luckily, the next person in line hadn't forgotten the true meaning of the holidays through some ridiculous semantical movement to bring about a universal standard of political correctness. He accepted my "Merry Christmas" gracefully. These kind of things just irk me. Are we so damned worried about saying the "wrong thing" in this country that we can't even outwardly express our own joy at the holiday that we have chosen to celebrate? I don't care if somebody tells me "Happy Chanuka." In fact, I'd probably like that. I wouldn't blast them and tell them not to give me their blessings. It's not as if I said "Repent or you shall not be saved!!" Is it really going to offend somebody that much if they hear Merry Christmas from a Christian?

Oh well, I hope she had a very happy Separation of Church and State day.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I know exactly what you're talking about dude. I work at the cafe'(starbucks) in Barnes and Noble and everyone is just as bitchy there too. Coffee junkies are the worst.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The way I see it, Happy Holidays just makes conversation easier. O_o;

Example:

"Merry Christmas!" "Oh, I'm Jewish." "Oh, Happy Hannukah!" can be changed to:

"Happy Holidays!" "Thank you!"

See? Its not a law, but if you don't know what someone's faith is, isn't Happy Holidays so much easier?

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I say we take away their presents...then they'd let us call it whatever we wanted...

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
The way I see it, it is "Merry Christmas", even though I, as a Christian, can explain very clearly why Christians should not celebrate a day that God did not tell us to celebrate.

As far as Hannukah, if I recognize a Jew, I am more than happy to say, "Happy Hannukah!". Still the season is what it is. A commercialized headache.

new topics

top topics

join