It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran and Russia Further Nuclear Partnership

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Amid growing international pressure, Russia has offered Iran a proposal allowing the enrichment of uranium on Russian soil under close Russian supervision. Backed by the EU and the US, the proposal (if accepted) would substantially alleviate fears of the uranium's use for military purposes.

www.latimes.com
TEHRAN — Iran said Wednesday that it would "seriously and enthusiastically" study a Russian proposal aimed at reducing international fears about its nuclear program, the Iranian Students' News Agency reported.

The remarks by Javad Vaeidi, deputy head of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, were the most positive yet by a senior Tehran official about Moscow's offer to form a joint venture with Iran to enrich uranium in Russia.

The Russian offer is backed by the United States and the European Union.

It is aimed at easing international concern that Tehran could make atomic bombs from highly enriched uranium. Iran says it only wants to enrich uranium to a low grade, suitable for generating electricity.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think that although this can be seen as a significant step forward in the Iran nuclear issue, that there are still risks involved in this situation. These proposals could simply be a decoy to emphasize Russia's intent on proper use of the uranium. Can a country who's president denys the Holocaust be trusted with uranium enrichment?

Related News Links:
www.chinadaily.com.cn
www.ny times.com
www.chron.com
en.rian.ru

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Compromise with Iran? I guess we'll see.
NEWS: Iran's President Calls For Israel's Destruction
OP/ED: ATSNN Fact File: Iran

[edit on 29-12-2005 by Liquidus]

[edit on 30-12-2005 by asala]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I think this is the best bet to avoid war.

The urianium can be enriched enough to be useful for power production, without being enriched enough for making bombs, under Russian supervision.

If th Iranian leadership has any sense at all they'll accept the offer.
Unfortunately I am not convinced they do.

With the neocons chomping at the bit for an attack on Iran, I wouldn't be suprised if the US throws a monkeywrench into things either.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Yes, a country that does not beleive in the holocost can be trusted with uranium enrichment. (in answer to your question)

but only under this proposal. Iran will need oversight from an international body to get this by.
the idiocy of the president doesn't affect whether his scientists can be trusted when oversight is in place.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Yes, a country that does not beleive in the holocost can be trusted with uranium enrichment. (in answer to your question)

but only under this proposal. Iran will need oversight from an international body to get this by.
the idiocy of the president doesn't affect whether his scientists can be trusted when oversight is in place.

1. their stupid president isnt like your president who so far has shown his stupidity in many occasions on the news and public.
Irans President doesnt have the same power just a puppet with a few which just go as far as banning things

nor does he represent the Iranian People

2.with the idiocy of the president of the USA should the world trust any american since it is "one man voted For the people by the people"
so all the people the american forces have killed is on the hand of all americans who voted for their president.

does that work?

on topic i dont see why Iran should really on another nation for its fuel when it can produce it its self which is more cost effective

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The proposal means nothing.
Russia is working hand-in-hand with Iran in the hopes of buying time.
More time equates to the more work done towards acquiring the capabilities to build and acquire nukes.
More time equates to no sanctions being brought against Iran.
Russia is no ally, and though the notion of the Cold War ending is habitually spewed, there is no doubt that there is a hidden Cold War still going on.
More Russia-Iran nuclear disinformation

Russia is supporting Iran, Syria, and supported Saddam till he was toppled.
Furthermore, the missiles fired from Lebanon into Israel are Russia made.
These regimes are nothing but cash-cow machines for Putin and Russia, and they will maintain that cash-flow as long as the they can.
Did not Putin say that Russia would be the defender of Islam?

seekerof

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The proposal means nothing.
Russia is working hand-in-hand with Iran in the hopes of buying time.
More time equates to the more work done towards acquiring the capabilities to build and acquire nukes.
Russia is no ally, and though the notion of the Cold War ending is habitually spewed, there is no doubt that there is a hidden Cold War still going on.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Seekerof

Russia has cut the term of army service to one year and also reduced the amount of servicemen in the Armed Forces. But instead Russia has put more funding to develop it's strategic nuclear forces and air/space defenses, to struggle with a "new enemy", who is this new enemy? They don't mention that.
www.countertyranny.com...

However, the article states that:
Putin particularly said that Russian Armed Forces should be trained and prepared to guarantee global stability and defend Russia against any attempts of military and political pressure and blackmail. “Unfortunately, one can see such political methods in today’s foreign policies run by certain countries,” Putin said.

I'd guess that's the US.

And the funding seems to have paid off, Russia has now got a ICBM that can possibly penetrate US missile defenses.
www.mosnews.com...

Russia is supporting Iran, Syria, and supported Saddam till he was toppled.

The US also supported Saddam before 9/11.

Furthermore, the missiles fired from Lebanon into Israel are Russia made.

Naturally, after the fall of the Soviet Union arms dealers quickly got their hands on lots of Soviet military equipment and did of course sell this equipment to lots of people around the world. I'd guess that's how the Lebanese got the missile.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I'd guess that's the US.

It's not just Russia that is uncomfortable with the idea of global US hegemony. Which is basically the goal of our current policy, wheter we admit it openly or not.

To some extent, I'd guess everyone outside the US is. Including our allies.
No nation wants to be dominated by an outside force.

But a nuclear-armed Iran is not in Russia's interest either, and that's why I tend to believe this proposal is genuine. The US right likes to see things in simple terms of "pro-US' and "anti-US" reflecting their simplified world view of guys in white hats vs. guys in black hats, but the reality of the situation is that Russia is "pro-Russia", China is "pro-China", and so on...

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think xmotex hit it dead on. No country really gives a damn about any country but itself. And isnt that how its supposed to be? I mean sure countries aid one another, but in my opinion its more about controlling the image of your country and doing what is traditionally done rather than doing it because it is right. Its all about self-preservation. Very selfish in my opinion but what can you do, its the way it works

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
From a french freind...
He says that most of his friends dont like america, but in the same breath, pray that we do something to prevent Iran from getting Nukes...
it is very much a lesser of two evils battle... and by the measure, we are far less evil in most frenchmens minds... I would think that much of the EU was the same for the same reasons... (no power, but much fear)

and Bodrul: your post sounded like an attack on american policys...
eggs in china? whatsut whar? what does that have to do with anything regarding Russias offer to Iran?
ATS has loads of threads to bash america... try any or all, and have fun...
peace out

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
and Bodrul: your post sounded like an attack on american policys...
eggs in china? whatsut whar? what does that have to do with anything regarding Russias offer to Iran?
ATS has loads of threads to bash america... try any or all, and have fun...
peace out

Read my reply again carefully

it was in response to his comment that made it look like a entire country thinks like their leader there for
i put the americans in the scenario since the american president is a twit and has tricked 2 nations into a war with lies and so forth

so should the world trust americans since your president is the voice for all americans and his actions represent all americans. (One man for the people by the people and so on)

aka going back to what he said about irainains and so forth

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   

it was in response to his comment that made it look like a entire country thinks like their leader there for

Well considering the people in Iran voted for their president, I'm sure that a majority of the population supported this president. Please don't say that there was a bad case of election fraud either because that's beside the point.

Update on the issue

bbcnews.com

Iran has dismissed a proposal that it conduct uranium enrichment in Russia as a way out of an impasse in talks over its controversial nuclear programme.

Supreme National Security Council Secretary Ali Larijani said it was not logical for any country to entrust its energy security to another state.

Mr Larijani said the Russian plan was only a few lines long and was not well-thought out.

"It has serious flaws," he told national television.

He also warned of a "crushing" response if Iran's nuclear and military facilities were attacked by the US or Israel.

Rejected as I thought they would. Obviously it's not in their interest since they have alternate purposes for the program.

new topics

top topics

join