It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rafale - As good as it can get. Stealth.Supercruise.Omnirole.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The Dassault Rafale has it all - Stealth, Supercruise, Omnirole, the best sensor suites, naval variant, great looks .... it could not get any better.

Take a look :

Stealth

Stealth was a major priority for the Rafale. This led to designing the fuselage in the way it is, which has produced Rafale's characteristic shape.

The radar-absorbent materials initially used caused the dark color of the Rafale C prototype.

But later special electromagnetic-transparent paints were developed so the aircraft could receive any color scheme.

Very very low RCS :

Dassault engineers claim that they have been able to reduce the signature of the Rafale cross section by a factor of 20 to the Mirage 2000-5.
link

Stealth Through Electronics & Software :

The Rafale carries, for the first time in aviation history, an integrated electronic survival system named SPECTRA which features a software-based virtual stealth technology.
link

Thales Group and Dassault Aviation have mentioned stealthy jamming modes for the SPECTRA system, to reduce the aircrafts apparent radar signature. It is not known exactly how these work or even if the capability is fully operational, but it may employ 'active cancellation' technology, such as has been tested by Thales and MBDA. Active cancellation is supposed to work by sampling and analysing incoming radar and feeding it back to the hostile emmiter slightly out of phase thus cancelling out the returning radar echo.
link

The Spectra [Système de Protection et d'Evitement des Conduites de Tir du Rafale] self-protection suite of the Rafale has been integrated by Thales, but it consists of elements built by various companies. The Spectra consists of a radar-warning receiver (RWR), missile-launch-warning system (MLWS), laser-warning receivers (LWS), a management computer, four chaff/flare dispensers, and a built-in jammer, all integrated into a single automatic system. The RWR and active jamming system were developed by Dassault Electronique (presently Thales) and are integrated as the Détection et Brouillage Electromagnétique (DBEM) system.

In the F1 standard, the DBEM can detect transmitters over the frequency range of 2-18 GHz, but this was increased to 2-40 GHz on the F2 standard. The system has a very high accuracy of up to one degree in azimuth. The DBEM automatically detects, classifies, and identifies emitters and inputs information about them into the computer. The Spectra's active jamming subsystem uses phased-array antennas located at the roots of the canards. The antennas can produce a pencil beam compatible with the accuracy of the receiver system, concentrating power on the threat while minimizing the chances of detection. It also uses other low-probability-of-detection techniques, so the Rafale's electronic-countermeasures (ECM) capability is also compatible with its stealth requirements.
link

Cold and Stealthy :

M88 engine Infrared Reductions :

Rafale L.O > Blended wing fuselage, decreases transonic drag, increases internal fuel volume decreases RCS >
Click for large pic >

Supercruise

The present M88-2 that churns out 76kN (x 2 engines) of thrust can make the Rafale supercruise at Mach 1.2 .The M88-3 that produces 90kN (x 2) of thrust will power the Rafale starting 2007 and is said to be able to make the Rafale supercruise at 1.4 Mach

This bears testymony to the Rafale's superb aerodynamics as well.

^^ Infact the Rafale-M (which is heavier than the other Rafale variants by 650kg) demonstrated supercruise with 4 Air to Air MICA missiles installed on it in addition to a central 1250 L fuel tank.

With M88-3 should give Rafale a supercruise at 1.4 M with 6 missiles, while the current M88-2 gives it a 1.2 M cruise speed with two missiles.

Progress in electronics enabled a reduction in the size of the Rafale's airframe. This resulted in an even lower RCS. It is also worth emphasizing that the smaller and lighter airframe used in production Rafales enables them to fly in "supercruise" mode – supersonic flight without the use of afterburners. Supercruise enables the aircraft to execute a part of the ingress and/or egress route at supersonic speed without serious penalty to its tactical radius

link

Omnirole

The Rafale is called an "omni-role," fighter which means that Rafale can perform ground-attack and air-combat tasks in one sortie.

It even has a carrier borne variant > The Rafale Marine :

More ...

Its FBW/FCS :

The Rafale’s “carefree” handling fly-by-wire system has been cleared from 100-750kt (185-1,390km/h), and the aircraft can be flown at a 29.5º angle of attack and perform manoeuvres up to 9g or 5.5g with a heavy load.

Its ability to conduct networked operations with F2 software have also been proven following a demonstration of the type’s Link 16 datalink while operating with an air force Boeing E-3 Airborne Warning and Control System, navy Northrop Grumman E-2C Hawkeye airborne early warning aircraft and the French navy’s Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier. The Rafale distributed synthesised data from its on-board sensors during the trials.

link

More on the Link 16 :

Something on the Airframe :

It is also one of the best looking modern day jets ... Take a look ..

View more larger pics >> Jet Art ; More ...

[edit on 29-12-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Your threads are always as impressive...

I was just wondering about that stealth issue... how good is it really...??

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
The Dassault Rafale has it all - Stealth, Supercruise, Omnirole, the best sensor suites, naval variant, great looks ....

OK. Now how much does Dassault pay?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Apart from the fact that the Rafale's design was set long before stealth was given any consideration and that feature was added as an afterthought (Rafale A was not stealthy at all - for example) this is quite a decent post, but why does it have to read like an advert for Dassault?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
So when will IAF now cancel the `obvious` waste of money that MCA will be and buy this unmatched and unrivalled aircraft?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Here's a strapline for your advert - sorry article- stealth Spy;

"The Rafale - France's revenge for the Jaguar!"

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This is totally not the right place to post this but Waynos, what happened to your avatar...???
I didn't realize that it was you in the beginning...

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I know what you mean, I've done the same when people change theirs

I just fancied a change and bunged this up while I think of something else so it may change again soon, or, knowing me, it might not.

[edit on 29-12-2005 by waynos]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
this is quite a decent post, but why does it have to read like an advert for Dassault?

Exactly.I wonder if he's not employed by Dassault now.

Why all the sudden enthusiasm about Rafale, Stealth Spy?

Anyway I already said it in another thread - if Rafale is really that good as you say - why did it lost every competition it took part? I am sure the buyers were informed about the Rafale omni-potent super capabilities, so why they chose F-15 resp. Eurofighter instead?

And who the hell is Dr. WHO?

[edit on 29-12-2005 by longbow]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If it is "as good as it gets", then would that mean in your opinion it is as good as say, the Raptor?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Stealth? Rafale has stealth?
Hmm..
Filed away on a word document, I ran across these numbers:
F-22 Raptor: minimal frontal RCS-0.0002~0.0005m2 [0.0005~0.001m2 class], -30 dB
Typhoon: minimal frontal RCS-0.05~0.1 m2
Rafale: minimal frontal RCS-0.1~0.3 m2

Furthermore, I would hazard a guess and say that "as good as it gets" between the two euro-fighters, the Typhoon is a better air superiority fighter [which initially was its original design purpose], and the Rafale is the better multi-role aircraft [which was its original design purpose].

longbow, meet Dr. Who. This seems to be a new series based upon the old series, which I used to be an advid watcher of.

seekerof

[edit on 29-12-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Stealth? Rafale has stealth?
Hmm..
Filed away on a word document, I ran across these numbers:
F-22 Raptor: minimal frontal RCS-0.0002~0.0005m2 [0.0005~0.001m2 class], -30 dB
Typhoon: minimal frontal RCS-0.05~0.1 m2
Rafale: minimal frontal RCS-0.1~0.3 m2

Furthermore, I would hazard a guess and say that "as good as it gets" between the two euro-fighters, the Typhoon is a better air superiority fighter [which initially was its original design purpose], and the Rafale is the better multi-role aircraft [which was its original design purpose].

seekerof

I've seen those figures somewhere before, do you know the source for that?

I would also be of the opinion that the frontal RCS of the F-22, EF and Rafale don't differ too much, however, the F-22 is infinitely better when viewed from all angles.

The eurofighter and rafale were designed with low frontal RCS in mind as far as I know. The Rafale D (Discrete - later became the production version) incorporated further low observable technology to reduce its all-aspect RCS (I think - I'd have to check that though).

[edit on 29-12-2005 by kilcoo316]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Yep that's it, and it's one of the reasons for France "going it" alone. That said, honestly the SPECTRA isn't operationnal yet, we'll have to wait for the F2 standard for summer of 2006 with the first operational squadron of the Armée de l'Air to see, since our Marine Nationale currently uses a basic F1 standard.
Btw the M88-3 is not going to happen. It was a project under development for the Singapour proposal but this study is now refocused on extending the life of the engine parts more than increasing thrust. It's been renamed the M-88 Eco. Same thing for the conformal tanks, France doesn't seem that interested although I think testing has been quite complete. The Rafale program badly needs an export success to get more funding and secure new developments.
And, frankly, although I love our Rafale, I'm starting to think that if the Typhoon is seriously developped for air to ground missions it'll be quite better. It's just bigger and more powerful...
Now about the Rafale not winning on the export market, let's not be naive, the weapons market always bears a huge political meaning. In South Korea the Rafale won the operational evaluation until full compatibility with US stuff was suddenly required. That said this is to some extent a consequence of our strange, proud trend for developping technology that nobody else will use.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Oh dear echoblade, stealth spy will not like that....at all

Doctor Who ; 2nd new series now filming. If anyone is curious to see the last of the Time Lords in action download the episodes Dalek, Bad Wolf & parting of the ways (2 part story) and the latest 'Christmas Invasion' (10th and current Doctor) for a flavour of how great the new series is, or watch the new series clips and trailers (as well as the old stuff) on the BBC site that seekerof linked to
I LOVE IT

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I really do like the Rafale, it is a very beautiful aircraft, but stealthy? In some respects it is stealthy, but compare to aircraft devoted to the role of low observable... Eh, that would be pushing it.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
How can it be stealthy with the weapons on the underside of teh wings? Even with electronic jamming returning an inverted wave back wouldn't help to hide missiles and all their intricate angles.

I'll give the french credit for making one hell of an impressive aeroplane though. But l prefer the Saab .

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
SAAB is inferior to this plane, I think that Dassault really out did themselves, the Rafale truely is a pretty and very good plane.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Comments from Harlequin and longbow never cease to amuse me.

Now something on the RBE2 radar

The Rafale mounts a technologically advanced RBE2 electronically scanned radar built by Thomson CSF. The RBE2(radar a bayalage electronique deux plans) is Europe's first electronically scanned radar. This vastly increases beam agility and speeds up the data processors to upto 1 billion operations per second, this allows the Rafale to interleave functions like undertaking terrain following while simultaneously engaging air threats.The radar is capable of terrain following, avoidance, threat avoidance, raid assesment, high resolution mapping,search track etc.

The following quote from H P Grolleau sums up the performance:
"The RBE-2 radar performs long-range detection and tracking of up to 40 air targets in look-down or look-up aspects, in all weathers, and in severe jamming environments. Interception and firing data are calculated for 8 priority targets which can be engaged with MICA EM at a rate of 1 every 2 seconds. With its electronic scanning antenna, the radar is fully capable of tracking the other 32 targets, while updating the MICAs with the dedicated, mid-course, secure, radar-to-misile link which enables very long range multiple firings with an exceptionally high probability kill rate, even against manoeuvring enemy fighters."

IRST
The Radar is supplemented by the OSF(Optronique Secteur Frontal) built again by Thomson CSF, it combines an infra red search and track system (IRST), forward looking infra red (FLIR) and laser range finder. Range under optimum conditions is around 80 kms,this is an important part of the Rafale's sensor suite and allows it to make those "stealthy" attacks.The system is mounted in front of the cockpit and consists of two optical modules. The right-side module has a long-wave (8-12 µm) infrared camera used for target search and track. The range of the camera is believed to be up to 90 km in ideal conditions. The left-side module carries a CCD TV camera for daytime target identification. The system also includes a laser rangefinder for use against air targets.

link

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
The Rafale D (Discrete - later became the production version) incorporated further low observable technology to reduce its all-aspect RCS (I think - I'd have to check that though).

The Rafale D (discret) was the very very stealthy version of the Rafale that was planned .. however it was never built as it was decided that with the end of the Cold War, such high levels of stealthiness (and cost per unit for each Rafale D) would not be required.

The present Rafale's make extensive use of composites which are transparent to electromagnetic waves, which is reflected in its steathyness.

It is also for some of these stealthy technologies of the Rafale (Active cancellation, EM transparent composites) that the Russians are trying to woo France to co-develop a 5th gen plane with them >>

Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee has invited Russian Aircraft Corporation (RAC) MiG to present its concept of fifth generation fighter aircraft before the top brass of Indian Air Force even as New Delhi has expressed its desire to join the Russian project.

"MiG had presented its concept of fifth generation fighter aircraft when I visited them yesterday. I invited them to make a presentation in India for the IAF officers," Mukherjee told reporters before leaving for home tonight at the end of his three-day Moscow visit.

In the course of his press conference at the Russian Defence Ministry yesterday, Mukherjee had for the first time publicly acknowledged that India is keen to take part in the development and financing of the fifth generation fighter aircraft with Russia, which would rival the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) being developed by the United States.

Russia had for the first time made this offer to India three years ago after successful completion of Sukhoi Su-30MKI project, which already incorporates some features of the futuristic super fighter plane.

Local defence experts have noted that China, a major buyer of Russian military hardware has not been offered stake in the project. France is the only other foreign nation, which has also been invited besides India.

full article >>

Some of the work done on the descret is also siad to have formed the basis for the stealthy Dassault UAV - Neuron

link

Here is a pic of its display at Aero India '05 > Click

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthSpy
Local defence experts have noted that China, a major buyer of Russian military hardware has not been offered stake in the project. France is the only other foreign nation, which has also been invited besides India.

Oh wait, you mean the same France that led the charge to have the EU arms ban/embargo ended against China; the same France that wants desperately to sell China the Rafale, among other goodies? I know that Chirac was pissed, as well as Dassault, being that the embargo stayed intact and the only chance for the Rafale to be definately exported was missed.........again.

You are aware that Dassault has stated that the Rafale will be the last indigenous "go-it-alone" fighter they build?

Would totally blow my mind if France/Dassault had not been invited, considering such as linked above.

seekerof

[edit on 30-12-2005 by Seekerof]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join