It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honor Killings

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
This is terrible, just terrible and I would like to emphasize this being a cultural not religious practice. Not all Muslims do it but it does happen frequently in alot of Muslim countries unfortunately. Idiots do it, animals who do not deserve life themselves.

And I could tell the mother what she coulda done for her daughter and then daughters, killed his a$$, I wouldn't have hesitated and I woulda made it hurt like hell

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
To someone that knows no better way to do things and they have been going it for generations, what is he to do?
I would turn the place to glass to stop that kind of thing but, Someone that has grown up with his fathers father and so on doing the same. Then killing the Man is not the cure! They need to be updated!!!!!

As for God coming in a kicking butt. Just how many commandments have You yourself broken? If God hit is with lighting for each one........ I don't thing there would be that many of us left.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr101Hazardous
To someone that knows no better way to do things and they have been going it for generations, what is he to do?
I would turn the place to glass to stop that kind of thing but, Someone that has grown up with his fathers father and so on doing the same. Then killing the Man is not the cure! They need to be updated!!!!!

As for God coming in a kicking butt. Just how many commandments have You yourself broken? If God hit is with lighting for each one........ I don't thing there would be that many of us left.

Very true, and while we who live in a western society feel so strongly about it, they don't. Ain't that just incredible ?
I know this goes on, has gone on and will go on for many more generations

*sigh*

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The truth is that this happens in ALL religions.

Think about it for a moment -- how often have you read about Christian whack-jobs torturing and killing their children to "drive out demons." There's Andrea Yates (who drowned them as they screamed for mercy) and the woman here in Texas who killed her baby girl by cutting her arms off and so on and so forth.

And remember the Biblical punishments as well. We don't practice them now, but if you were to follow the Old Testament literally, there would be thousands of stonings of unwed women and adulterers.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

That is absolute wrong.

As a matter of fact, I can say, that it happens NOT in my religion (Judaism)

True, there has been capital punishment for committing adultery some thousand years ago, but this is a very different thing and furthermore there would have been a court decision according to the laws at that time.

This are no 'honour killings' , which one could easily find out by reading the Tora ( = part of what Christians call the 'Old Testament') carefully.

You please should not mix things that way!

[edit on 4-1-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Think about it for a moment -- how often have you read about Christian whack-jobs torturing and killing their children to "drive out demons." There's Andrea Yates (who drowned them as they screamed for mercy) and the woman here in Texas who killed her baby girl by cutting her arms off and so on and so forth.

And remember the Biblical punishments as well. We don't practice them now, but if you were to follow the Old Testament literally, there would be thousands of stonings of unwed women and adulterers.

Sorry Byrd, but I have to disagree with you on this one. It is not the religion at fault, but the person who commits the crime.

If this had been committed by a scientist would we be blaming science? Let's stop blaming religion for these events and place the responsibility back on the criminals.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
The thing with these practices is the origins often stem from the tribal roots of certain cultures... the honour killing practice pre-dates Islam... it just happens to be that some cultures with this practice in their traditions happen to be Muslim. There are Hindu, Sikh, Christian cultures around the world with similar outdated cultural practices (some of the frumme have a few of their own Riwka too so us Jews can't claim total "enlightnement" on this score either)...

often the religion gets blamed by both the perpertators and those who find it abhorrant... a less extreme example I can remember is an issue with the Bangladeshi communities in London not giving blood or becoming organ doners, often claiming the Q'oran forbids it (as their elders tell them) even though this isnt the case, and that it is culturally frowned upon (Local health trusts have muslim doctors and nurses pounding the streets of E.London to convince the community of this because of the sheer lack of blood/doners from this ethnic group).

Q

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Sorry, there was just a quoat and no Edit on my last post? I was going to change the THING to THINK.
[edit on 4-1-2006 by Mr101Hazardous]

[edit on 4-1-2006 by Mr101Hazardous]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Byrd, I will have to second that, you are wrong. It is not in the Jewish or Christian religions to do this. Whack jobs have nothing to do with the religions. The stoning of girls, at a quite alarming frequency.
Let's do a little research before we make shallow assumptions.

As far as any other religion, I cannot say. I have no knowledge of them.

[edit on 4-1-2006 by Thomas Crowne]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join