It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sp2 problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I have this problem with sp2 , yesterday i formatted and used a sp2 dvd with 50 extra programms that i "found", everything was fine it installed properly , same goes with the programms.

Note that it is only sp2 with updates till august ,I was playing around and clicked on a gif I had , ie opened immediatly and tried to connect to some site , in the taskmanager was a prog named little_helper2.exe, some kind of trojan , I cleaned my system of this bug.

Now my question : it does seem as if sp2 isnt that safe because I had clicked on that gif before I formatted ( I had only sp1 with all updates right up to sp2 --but no sp2) and nothing like this happened, so is it possible to install sp1 now that sp2 is already installed ?

What happend to me was probably the gif problem that xp used to have where clicking on a jpeg could cause a trojan to be executed, I was under the impression that that was fixed or am i wrong there ?

So do i need to install sp1 with all updates ? and is this even possible now ?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Not sure but maybe SP2 came before that bug. So you would have to update Internet Explorer for the malformed GIF thing. And the JPEG buffer overrun was related with that GDI thingy if I remember correctly?

Or maybe SP2 is just fine and the problem come from the extra programs you found?

Or the hidden file extention bug? Can't remember when that bug popped up, it would trick you by disguising as a GIF file but it was a EXE file.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
intrestingly enough i just dled the patch for this problem but it told me the service pack was newer therefore i dont need the patch .

So would this mean that if i already have sp2 installed i dont need sp1 ?

edit : its strange though that the buffer overrun still works though , maybe this could be some other problem , anyone had this problem before ? i just checked and it seems sp2 sorts this problem

[edit on 29-12-2005 by Fett Pinkus]

[edit on 29-12-2005 by Fett Pinkus]

join