It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adult brain cells keep growing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
According to a new study, Neurons continue to grow and change well into adulthood.

The apocryphal tale that you can't grow new brain cells just isn't true. Neurons continue to grow and change beyond the first years of development and well into adulthood, according to a new study.

The finding challenges the traditional belief that adult brain cells, or neurons, are largely static and unable to change their structures in response to new experiences.

The study, performed in adult mice, found that the branch-like projections on some neurons, called "dendrites," were still physically malleable. Dendrites conduct electrical signals received from other neurons to the parent neuron's cell body. The changes occurred both incrementally and in short bursts, and involved both growth and shrinkage.

I was pleasently surprised when I read this article, I have always sort of figured that this was true, but now it has been scientifically verified.

On a saide note, I remember reading an article, from the same site, a few months ago, that suggested that the brain produces new brain cells, and that there are not a finite amount.

Source and full story

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
That makes me feel much better about myself

One thing........ Just how much stuff can we remember and then what goes out to the trash?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
you'ld first need to figure out exactly what a memory is and where it's stored, science doesn't have the answer as far as i know, i believe current theory has it that memory is either chemical, or it is an arrangment of nurons, or both, in other words they haven't a clue.

i'd say you can remember an hell of a lot before you need to worry about stuff being dumped but the difficulty lies in accessing it, accosiation techniques help people to remember vast quantitys of complex informantion, like memorizing the order of a number of decks of playing cards and stuff like that.

this link might be more informitive if your interested.
brain.web-us.com...

join