It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(submission) (sci/tech) Two New Rings Discovered Around Uranus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Astronomers at the SETI Institute in Mountain View Calif. say they have discoverd two new rings orbiting Uranus along with two new moons that were previously undiscovered. The scientists made the discoveries by comparing images shot by Voyager 2 in 1986 to those taken by Hubble in 2004.

www.cbc.ca
The Hubble Space Telescope has helped astronomers spot two more rings around Uranus and add two more moons to the planet's total.

Scientists now say Uranus, a gas giant and the seventh planet from the sun, has at least 13 dusty rings.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its seems the more we think we know about our own system the more we dont know. With everything were learning about the universe its good to see that we still have alot to learn about our own solar system. Theres still alot of discoveries to make aswell. Also the title makes me laugh a bit.

[edit on 28-12-2005 by North Rider]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I think it's possible All planets could obtain rings over long long periods of time.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
What no interest in this? This is the biggest punchline that our solar system has come up with yet.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
well, i posted a remark about the headline, but the powers that be decided it was a bit much. post was removed and i lost 20 points for the effort......

but it was worth it.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I read about this in popular Science, they are going to name them Hym and Ryoid. I think the rings are probably just the remnants of one of the multiple moons colliding with another object or each other. The next 100 years will be incredible with the advancements to technology to explore our own solar system.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Good find by hubble

(I've always liked Uranus
It may be big and gassy but Uranus is cool
When are the next close up pics of Uranus coming out?

Good enough for you North?
)

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
esdad....just thought you should know that you owe me a new shirt, as mine is now covered in coffee, which is still dripping from my nose ten minutes after reading your post.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

What no interest in this? This is the biggest punchline that our solar system has come up with yet

Well all right I'll give it a shot. Since I don't want to end up losing points like snafu they are hopefully within G rating viewing standards. Not that I use my points all that much but hey they're mine I earned 'em.

Submission 1:

"Whoa! You found two what around my what!?"

Submission 2:

"Uranus? Don't you mean Ouranus?"

That's all I got without going blue.

SPiderj

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Glad to be of assistance.
I am suprised more people havent't commented.

I always love to read about new space discovery and the technology we have is growing at such an exponetial rate it is fascinating.

top topics

join