It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Senior Kremlin Official Resigns, Criticizes Putin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Andrei N. Illarionov, the senior economic advisor to Russian President Vladimir Putin, abruptly resigned today criticizing publicly the direction in which Putin is taking Russia. In his last speech as a member of the Putin government, he decried Russia's loss of political freedoms he claims took place over the past six years. He also complained about poor economic choices made by the current regime, including its handling of petroleum assets, which he claims are being used as a "weapon" in international politics.

www.nytimes.com
MOSCOW, Dec. 27 - The most outspoken of President Vladimir V. Putin's senior advisers abruptly resigned today, warning that Russia's nascent political freedoms have been lost and the Kremlin's economic choices have been poor. He also said that he had no more ability to influence the government's course.

The official, Andrei N. Illarionov, 44, had been an economic adviser to the Kremlin since shortly after Mr. Putin took office nearly six years ago. His tenure in recent years had turned publicly rocky, and he had become an occasional but memorable critic of Kremlin policy.

In what was probably his final appearance as part of Mr. Putin's administration, Mr. Illarionov stuck to past form today, criticizing the government in terms no other Kremlin insider has dared.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This guy must be pretty brave -- I'd be afraid of coming out against Putin so openly. Hopefully Putin won't run for reelection and someone less authoritarian will be able to get Russia back on track to full democracy and an open market economy.

[edit on 12/27/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Putin won't run for re-election.

Source
President Vladimir Putin said Monday he won't seek a third term in 2008, but vowed not to allow "destabilization" in Russia following the vote, leaving the door open for drastic action in the event of a crisis.

As for him coming out and saying that? So what... Putin now has access to one of the largest Oil Reserves and it has gone to a Government Company, he is involved with. He has made his legacy and screwed Russia over - the rest of the World knows, the Russian people know this and he no longer has to have people taken care of like he did before.

Too little, to late.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I know he says he won't run again, but I won't believe it until I see it.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This just shows how politically unstable Russia is at the moment. You have to keep in mind however that despite Putin's hardline stance on government ownership and censorship, he is not the one who makes all the calls. Putin has his own guys who make sure he stays in check and it is in reality hard to say where his own opinions stand. One thing is to do what you think is right, and another to do what you can to please the boss.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I know he says he won't run again, but I won't believe it until I see it.

He can't serve a third term, unless he has the constitution changed and the population vote for him again both are highly unlikely.

In fact, he has roughly two-years to pull it all off with and they have not even moved the legislation to the first-level yet and Laws in Russia, tend to take a good six months to get through and then another 3 to 6 to get it accepted. So in reality, there is no chance of him running however there is a chance he might refuse to give up Office and that'll make things even more interesting.

new topics

top topics

join