It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cross-party support for war probe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   

More than 100 MPs from across the Commons have backed a call for an inquiry by senior MPs into the handling of the Iraq war and its aftermath.

SNP leader Alex Salmond says 107 have signed a Commons motion calling for a special committee of seven senior MPs to review the decision-making process.

The MPs include 49 Lib Dems, 26 Conservatives and 20 from Labour.

Ex-Tory Chancellor Ken Clarke and Lib Dem deputy leader Sir Menzies Campbell are among those who have signed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The seven senior members will be members of The Queen's Privy Council.

I dont believe this will lead to a motion of no confidence, but this will probably be very damaging to Blair.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I dont believe this will lead to a motion of no confidence

- I agree, not a chance.
107 of the 'usual suspects' out of 650+ MPs over a subject done to death is not going to go very far IMO.

I doubt very much they'll get their enquiry never mind get to place a motion of no-confidence (unless they achieve it as a stunt under a technicality).

.....and as for such a motion being passed?
They must be on the seriously heavy-duty med.s!

but this will probably be very damaging to Blair.

- Naaaa, I don't see it infinite.
4 Parliamentary enquiries to date and absolutely zip out of them for those opposed.

For what it's worth I think Iraq is going to hang around Tony Blair's neck for the rest of his days but in political terms those days are already numbered anyway, he is going to step down and not contest the next election.
Thanks to the opposition's natural (but seriously wrong and stupidly short-sighted) personalisation and identification of all things to Tony Blair when he goes he takes a lot of the heat and ire away with him.

Those opposed to the war already are and those who are less concerned over it are unlikely to be convinced by yet another drawn out period of navel-gazing.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

107 of the 'usual suspects' out of 650+ MPs over a subject done to death is not going to go very far IMO.

hmmm wonder who the "usual suspects" are

Naaaa, I don't see it infinite.

I think so, this might be the one that makes him walk early.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   

hmmm wonder who the "usual suspects" are

- According to the Beeb

The MPs include 49 Lib Dems, 26 Conservatives and 20 from Labour.

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4560996.stm

- So that is the usual crew of LibDems still flogging this issue and trying to get some residual 'traction' from it, a small gang of tories trying to make up the numbers whilst at the same time trying to make it look like the tory party isn't being crassly opportunistic over this issue and only 20 of the usual 'awkward squad' in the Labour party.

I think so, this might be the one that makes him walk early.

- OK, a wager?

£10 to the charity of your/my choice if Blair is still PM this time next year or not?

[edit on 28-12-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

- OK, a wager?

£10 to the charity of your/my choice if Blair is still PM this time next year or not?

Okay your on

ill choose www.nspcc.org.uk...

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Good one infinite
, it'll add a little spice to the coming year's events.

I'll go Cancer Research UK.
www.cancerresearchuk.org...

.....oh, and whilst we're on the subject, a happy new year to you and yours.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
.....oh, and whilst we're on the subject, a happy new year to you and yours.

You too

back to the subject, in my view, all the signs are pointing to an early exit. The longer he stays, the more damage it will do to Labour in the next general election.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

in my view, all the signs are pointing to an early exit. The longer he stays, the more damage it will do to Labour in the next general election.

- I think you are taking way too short-term a view infinite.

The next election is 3.5 - 4.5yrs away.
Cameron at the head of his 'return of the living dead' zombie tory gang won't look look anything like so fresh at that stage.

My own view is that the Labour party is far more savvy politically than they are given credit for. They know there is no need nor any good sound reason to change anything much right now (and even those utterly opposed to Tony Blair's politics can hardly be drooling at the prospect of 'New Labour's' co-author taking charge if they want to see a real and serious change in policy direction).

I think the tories have utterly wasted the natural 'bounce' the new guy always gets by changing things now when they did not need to.
Instead of getting or making (the departing anyway) Howard to fight and force through the necessary policy changes they have made the major mistake saddling Cameron and his team with their predictable and inevitable in-fighting and rows over whatever small policy changes they might actually bring themselves to make and force through.

By taking that approach they have weakened the hand of the reforming element enormously as Cameron and Co. will do anything to avoid a real fight and be seen at the usual tory game of splits and internal fighting.

Tony Blair will make an excellent 'lightning rod' for Gordon Brown - helped enormously by the opposition's 8 years long+ reflex personalisation of everything to him by his political and media opponents.

Still, we shall see, eh?

new topics

top topics

join