It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic Powered Saucer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
First off, Im 14, so pardon me if i sound like an idiot from time to time

But either way, heres my theory, as some of you may know, Japan and I think Germany are using Maglev trains, basically just trains that run on magnets, how it works is by first levitating the train using like magnets, such as north sided magents on the track facing north magnets on the bottom of the train, to propel the train they turn on one magent, south, in front to pull the train towards it, of the train and behind the train they turn on a north magnet propeling the train away from it

now my idea for a flying saucer powered by magnets in this, inside the outer disc you have north and south magnets with the disc itself having magnetic properties, just keep flicking the magnets on and off so the outer disc will spin

Im not sure if this is true or not, but i think i remeber seeing something on tv about a scientist from a while back that discovered that the faster something spins it starts to weight less? it was either that or has better balance, Im not exactly sure, it was a long time, i was also wondering if that was true because that means the faster the outer disc would spin, the less the flying saucer would weight, making it easier to fly at faster speeds, I havent thought of a way to actually get the saucer to move but i just wanted to see if my magent theory could in fact work

any thoughts on this would be great
thank you in advance

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Good stuff s_t_p.
First, on the maglev issue, you might wanna check this thread out.

.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread188055/pg1

It's about a new technique for maglev using permanent magnets as opposed to electromagnets. Might actually be useful, as the other techniques seem hideousely expensive.

In regards to your idea you might want to check out somehting called the 'Searle effect' he is an english inventor who did something along those lines (a circular array of magnets etc.). you can find more info about him on google or americanantigravity.com

. . . something on tv about a scientist from a while back that discovered that the faster something spins it starts to weight less?

Could be Poldnetkov (not sure of spelling?)? He rotated a superconducting disc at high speeds and supposedly found a gravity shielding effect above the disc. Apparently, he noticed this because one of his co-workers was smoking a pipe in the lab and the smoke drifted rapidly upwards over the disc !

But for most experimental joy, i would reccomend the lifter, it's a project you can build yourself. all you need is some balsa wood, tin foil, wire and a high voltage power supply. **Warning** voltages used in this experiment are dangerous, read ALL the safety instructions before you even consider undertaking such a task, you have been warned.

The Lifter works without moving parts, flies silently, uses only electrical energy and is able to lift its own weight plus an additional payload. The Lifter uses the Biefeld-Brown effect discovered by Thomas Townsend Brown in 1928.

Video of Lifter with variable altitude control
Lifter Home Page

I'm sure i saw one dude on the site who made a small one using batteries. Also check out neodymium magnets, have fun and don't worry if you fall down a rabbit hole

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   

First off, Im 14, so pardon me if i sound like an idiot from time to time

Well STP at least you admit it.

Don't know if you've run accross this fellow but:

en.wikipedia.org...

T. Townsend Brown is one of my favorite golden era ufo guys. A credible scientist with a big juicy brain. A guy who may have been decades ahead of his time.

A couple more links:

ttbrown.com...

and patents:

www.mall-usa.com...

I think it was Richard Hoagland (before he went completely batcrackers) who compared a lot of the early townsend stuff to the ufos (saucer types) that were being seen at the time (early to mid 1980s) and he thought that alot of the townsend research, if it had gone black bag in the 30s and 40's would look alot like the stuff people were seeing then.

An interesting theory, but again I can't remember 100% if it was hoagland so I apologise for that.

Anyhoo your tinfoil hat is in the mail.

Happy hunting.

SPiderj

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
wow thank you guys so much

and thank you fingapointa, I think Im going to try to build a "lifter" but I will take your advice, or warning, whatefver you want to call it, and see if i can find a way to use jsut good 'ole batteries

and about Poldnetkov, I goggled the name and didnt come up with anything good, but its ok, thank you for trying

But, you said a gravitational shield about the disc, do you think its possible that that sheild was around the whole disc, not just the top? if it was around the whole thing then maybe a single spining disc on the outer edge of a flying saucer would make a shield for the whole saucer itself

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
wow start_the_peace, you are very intelligent for only being 14. My brother is 15 and all he cares about is girls. Wish he would be a little more into school but w/e.

I have also thought of something similar to this. Let us know how your experiment goes.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
well thank you

I've always been interested in astrology, aliens, and all that, even seen a UFO, well technically two but it was one event, so Im always thinking of this stuff

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
well, all through the day I was thinking about seeing if I could maybe make a small model working version of my theory, I was wondering where if Id even be able to find the parts?

Im guessing it would go something like this, a metal inner disc to place the magnets, magnets, and an outer disc, Im thinking it would have to also be a superconducting disc like pointafinga said was used in those experiments, otherwise I would jsut have a spinning disc of doom

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The power required to run electromagnets is pretty intense and the amount of power needed compared to output is not very good.

In any system, a ufo "spinning" with the aid of electromagnets will go nowhere fast.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
darn, I didnt think about all that power stuff..
I thought i might have had something going here

well what if I didnt use electromagnets, would natural magents work?

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
You will not get them spinning and even if you did, they would not accelerate and they would lose strength eventually.

Keep up the propulsion theories.

You might like these threads:

UFO Propulsion etc
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Magnets and stuff

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
wow thank you for all the links Ill hae to look over them
and by the way, I wasnt talking about actual propstion and like, lateral movement of the saucer, it was more of a way to, erm, help to levitate it maybe? or to at lest help with making it easier to leviate it, control it, get it in the air, but i have yet to work actual propulsion systems

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   

now my idea for a flying saucer powered by magnets in this, inside the outer disc you have north and south magnets with the disc itself having magnetic properties, just keep flicking the magnets on and off so the outer disc will spin

I have a picture in my head of what you're talking about, and since I'm a crappy artist, I had a look on the internet to find something similar. Does your idea bear any resemblance to this? (Imagine a disc shaped thing attached to the rotor for your flying saucer)

Im not sure if this is true or not, but i think i remeber seeing something on tv about a scientist from a while back that discovered that the faster something spins it starts to weight less?

Actually, according to Einstein's Relativity, if something spins faster it gets heavier, but you have to spin it incredibly fast to really notice, i.e. a speed that is comparable to the speed of light.

Superconductors can also be used to levitate things magnetically. A superconductor will expel all magnetic fields from itself while it is superconducting, and this property can be used to levitate it. (meissner effect) Maybe a flying saucer powered by magnets would levitate in this manner? (I rather doubt it actually would, but just something to think about) The trouble with superconductors is that they work only when colder than a certain critical temperature (usually a few degrees Kelvin, but as high as about 100 K for some special ceramics) and if the magnetic field around it gets too large and exceeds a value known as the critical field, then the superconductor can't repel the field anymore, and it instantly stops superconducting, just as it does if it gets too hot.

(see this link for a graph relating magnetic field and temperature in a superconductor) Also, it should be noted that what I described above is a Type I superconductor, as shown on that link; a type II behaves slightly differently, and can actually have some magnetic field inside them before they shut down.

It's not unreasonable to imagine that a small disk could be built that would levitate a few inches or so and spin around like a flying saucer; I'm almost 100% sure it could be done. It would need quite a bit of electrical power to do so, though, as levitation consumes a lot of power. Oh, and as fingapointa said, be careful with high voltages and currents, it would probably be a good idea to read up on some electrical safety before experimenting with anything high power.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
yess its exactly like that, just faster

oh geeze, really? well what if that applies to most items but superconductors could react differently? its a possabilbity

well geeze, maybe i wont be able to make a scale model, but the dream is still there =]

and yes, Im not exactly the best person with electrical stuff so Id play it safe with that

thank you everyone for all your help with everything, the links, the feedback, thoughts everything, you guys ae a HUGE help

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
DragonsDemesne,

Imagine if there is a type of gravitic effect similar to that of the magnetic Meissner effect. Or better yet imagine that we might discover the Gravitic equivalent of the Meissner Effect.

That in my opinion would go a long way towards explaining some of the characteristics observed in many of the consistent UFO sightings where we have consistent accounts of specific gravity defying characteristics.

[edit on 27-12-2005 by lost_shaman]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
LostShaman: Definitely, if there was some sort of gravitic Meissner effect, that would have profound implications in many different fields of physics. Since the nature of gravity is poorly understood, as compared to, say, the nature of electricity and magnetism, it's possible there is something like that which could be used for levitation.

new topics

top topics

join