It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santa's Chinese elves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Welcome to the "Made in China" Christmas. Santa’s traditional elves must have unionized, because now Santa’s toy factories are being relocated to China and the "developing world," where labor is cheap and abundant.

Asia Times Online

Some 70% of the world’s Christmas ornaments and other paraphernalia now originate in officially atheist mainland China. Tinsel, Santas, mistletoe and artificial trees of every shape and hue are churned out at a relentless pace by thousands of factory workers in Guangdong, Zhejiang and Jiangsu provinces.

According to the China General Administration of customs, Guangdong on its own exported more than US$620 million worth of Christmas products in 2004. For the country as a whole, the figure was over $1 billion.

As winter’s icy tentacles lead into Christmas, Santa’s Chinese elves are enjoying a bit of a quiet period after having toiled for the majority of the year. “Our busy period is really February to October,” says He Li, assistant sales manager of Yiwu Festival Gifts Company. The company has annual sales of over $12 million and employs between 800-1,000 workers. It exports 90% of its products to the US, Russia and Chile and specializes in manufacturing hanging toys, trees and Christmas gifts.

Even the White House now celebrates a “Made in China” Christmas. In 2003, seven of the trees adorning the US president’s residence were manufactured in China. In fact more than two-thirds of the world’s artificial Christmas trees are made in the single city of Shenzhen.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, I guess thats how the World Today works: while Santa Claus lives it up with Rudolph at the North Pole, his elves have relocated to southern China's towns and villages.

Actually I am not surprised at all - because what today, is NOT "Made in China"?

[edit on 27/12/05 by Souljah]

[edit on 12/28/05 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Even the White House now celebrates a “Made in China” Christmas.
In 2003, seven of the trees adorning the US president’s residence
were manufactured in China.

www.whitehouse.gov...

The official White House web site has the White House tree being
from North Carolina and the rest of the decorations are listed as
live (real). There is nothing about fake trees being in the
White House. (The residence is part of the White House.) Even
if they did have fake trees ... so what? That means that they didn't
cut down a tree. If they were live trees you'd be having a fit that
they killed trees just to decorate, wouldn't you?

As far as the rest of the article ... I'm not a big fan of the plastic
toys and other items coming out of china. That includes happy meal
toys. Many of them are made in China, and many of them are made
with slave labor. This includes leather shoes made in China folks!!
Just FYI.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
What r u trying to say man?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I hate this made in china crap as much as the next guy, They basicaly own us, And the sad thing is we dont have much of a choice in it, Sure we can by American made stuff and whatnot, But its more often then not several times more expensive then the imported stuff which is just as good.

With all the crap they got here i can imaging it being the perfect way to win a war against us, Put small amounts of c4 in each electronic toy/device they send here, have them all hooked up to there satellites, then when they are ready, boom your pc, remotes, tv's, vcr's ect all blow up shrapnel goes everywhere and we all die...

With that said is my scenario possible?

Regardles, it would make a great movie , it could be called "Made in China"

[edit on 28-12-2005 by C0le]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Well there are two main reasons western markets are flooded with goods that are made in china. The first reason is that in terms of econmics you cant beat the costs of slave labour or near slave labour. The second reason is that people are willing to trade quality for lower prices. For example nobody bothers to fix a $99 DVD player the repairs would cost more in labour then the orginal wholesale cost of the DVD player.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
The second reason is that people are willing to trade quality for lower prices. For example nobody bothers to fix a $99 DVD player the repairs would cost more in labour then the orginal wholesale cost of the DVD player.

How True.

I used to work in an Electro Shop, where we sold DVD Players and all other Electro-Entertainment stuff; and the Cheapest Articles, that were also SELLING the Most did not have a Guarantee - I mean they did have, but the guys at the Service told me, that they do NOT repair these Items, but throw them away, and give me a NEW one to return to the Customer.

If you ask me - when you buy a DVD player for 99$ you get exactly that. And when you buy a 299$ DVD player, you see the Difference.

But they are ALL Made in China!

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

but throw them away, and give me a NEW one to return to the Customer.

Does anyone else see a problem with the whole "Throw away" society?

Yes Technology is ever progressing, but what drives it? consumerism, not the hope to improve lives, it's what can be trade marked and manufactured that occupies the R&D boards of corporations.... sigh.....

anyone?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
China doesn't tell your local store what to stock.

One liner yes, but meh.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azza
Does anyone else see a problem with the whole "Throw away" society?
Yes Technology is ever progressing, but what drives it? consumerism, not the hope to improve lives, it's what can be trade marked and manufactured that occupies the R&D boards of corporations.... sigh.....
anyone?

I sure do....
Just as an example I was garage sale shopping and came across an old blender and can opener. These 30-35 year old appliances just kicked the living daylights out of the last TWO sets of blenders and can openers I had bought from stores within the last 2-3 years. These new items can barely open a can or crush ice for a margarita. I for one wouldn't mind paying much more for an item if I could be sure it was built to last. Sadly, thats not even an option for most things today. Most items made today are just garbage and are made as garbage on purpose.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
evil major corporations!!

top topics

join