It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone help before I pull out my hair!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I have encountered numerous problems with my computer upon it's return from overseas. First I got an error something like "malicious activity reported in such & such script" then my computer wouldn't work for days and I thought it was the modem because it kept saying there is no modem(which is internal) and thus would not let me online and then I thought it was the harddrive because my computer wouldn't recognize the monitor or keyboard so when I turned on the cpu the screen remained blank and the keyboard unlit/non functional. Well days later it appeared to be fine..but now when I'm online I get an error after a few minutes that windows has encountered a problem and must shut down and I lose all info I'm working on or posting or whatever..It says remote program call(RPC) has been terminated and gives me 50 seconds to save all info but it doesn't save anything???

Can anyone help me figure this out?? PLEASE..before I throw the damn thing in traffic!!
Sincerely, Magestica

(Please excuse my poor spelling as I was trying to hurry before getting booted again)

[Edited on 9/27/03 by magestica]

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:47 PM
link   
windows xp?

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
if it's windows xp you could have a version of the blaster worm

have you done a virus check?

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I have windows xp..why do you ask? (I have to say more to get this to post) La la la

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:52 PM
link   
You got the 'blaster worm'.. a virus..

Go to the 'windows update'..

First thing you will see there is a big note about those.

And guide how to deal with it.

link   
I did several virus scans and nothing came up..but my norton is expired
So maybe it's just not showing up??

link   
i had it happen right after i got my cable modem installed, first i'd get windows msger spam ads, forgot how i turned that off, but under admin i think i made it so no remote assitance is possible.

Maybe thats what you need to do? unless its a virus =/

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   
IT IS A BLASTER VIRUS!!!

TO THE WINDOWS UPDATE.. DOUBLE TIME!!!

OR CANT YOU HEAR ME!?!?!

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I will go to updates. I actaully just updated windows 3 months ago though..and it took 12 hours!!!! Will updating get rid of the problem?

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Yeah sorry Mags. You need to update your antivirus software, then click the start button and go to windows update. Thats the freaking blaster worm!

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
I will go to updates. I actaully just updated windows 3 months ago though..and it took 12 hours!!!! Will updating get rid of the problem?

Yes it will, some small security patches are needed.. there will be a guide against the 'blaster' in the first page of the 'update'.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   
But first put on a firewall. Pronto!!!

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   
after updating and patching go HERE

www.grc.com

and download the DCOM utility. THis will turn off DCOM which is the vulnerability in windows that the blaster worm exploits. This will help in the future against worms like the msblaster doing this to you again.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It won't let me get to windows update page? This is concerning!

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Its seems if I remember right, before you do any update download or fixes, you also have to turn OFF the 'System Restore' under My Computer -View System Information becouse the worm will be re-installed everytime you make restore changes. It has planted itself deep in your system.

Then you proceed w/update,...and just go ahead and pay for norton, it is worth it, and set it for auto update. No fuss no muss no bugs

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It started upon a return from overseas? You may have encountered some electromagnet effects. Your PC may have gotten to close to a magnet during shipment, it may have corrupted some of your system files. Consider reinstalling your Operating System............Sorry

[Edited on 27-9-2003 by All Seeing Eye]

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Of course reboot when needed,....windows update page, you may have to go manually via your browser and click thru all the links to update xp.

If you use the Update Windows link in your fav or off of start menu, it may have been altered.

You may also, mmm, have to re-install xp from a restore disk, to replace the infected overwritten files.

Again, first turn off the System Restore, and reboot, otherwise it will keep coming back.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
yep you're right smirkley I forgot to mention that.

shame on me

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm working on it now, or trying to. I did turn off the system restore and now just trying to get to windows update page. You know though I have no idea how to reinstall xp and I'm not even sure which disk it is?? Or if I have it? This sux! Do I have to reinstall after I get the updates???
Thank you

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 02:22 PM
link   
if you can get the updates and they proceed w/install then i think you do not have to reinstall your xp.

So far so good,...then after all updates are installed you reboot as needed as many dll's will not initialize w/out the system reboot

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join