It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drummers baby, YEAH! 5 best.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Overall, I've never seen or heard anyone even close to Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa-- Rich is my own favorite. In a way though it's weird to include them on a list like this. It seems sort of unfair to everyone else.

Neil Peart is in a league of his own. He's still the best in rock music-- there might be others who are faster or louder or who rock harder, but there's no other rock drummer that pushes the limits of the instrument like he does.

My current favorite, and one that hasn't been (and might not otherwise be) listed is Tim Alexander of Primus. I think he's the closest competition that Peart has had. If you doubt it, just listen to 'Sgt. Baker' on 'Sailing the Seas of Cheese.' Like Peart, his playing is already more complex than most people's, and that's even before his fills.

I was surprised to not see Stewart Copeland of the Police listed. He has a unique and instantly recognizable sound-- sort of a jazz/tribal fusion. He's long been one of my favorites.

And I can't pass up any discussion of drummers without bringing up probably one of the most underrated drummers ever-- Ringo Starr. Seriously. Sure, he had pretty much no flash at all, but he was always-- ALWAYS-- entirely and completely in the pocket. To me, he represents the opposite extreme from most of those listed. The fundamental job of a drummer is to lay down the foundation upon which the rest of the song is built, and the foundations that Ringo built were always solid and unobtrusive and utterly flawless. To me, that doesn't imply substantially less skill than someone like Peart-- just a different sort of skill.

And Alex Van Halen really deserves a mention too. He set the standard for double bass metal drummers, and while others have followed that are arguably better (Tommy Lee for example), he led the way.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
i reckon chad smith from chili peppers is pretty good

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
nick baker - dimmu borgir ( the fat man can drum)
the dude from morbid angel, pete something
joey jordison - slipknot
yoshiki - japan X
ogre drummer - the decsendants/balckflag

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Top Five?

It is clearly;
Raymond Herrera: Fear Factory.
Dave Lombardo: Slayer
Vinnie Paul: Pantera
Dave Chavarri: Ill Nino
John Bonham: Led Zeppelin

----

The day I can hear anyone cover a Fear Factory drum beat, correctly will be the day I remove him from number one. They are technically the best band out there, in fact the drum beat is something amazing on its own. Anyone who can hit the 300bpm mark while drumming and not be making a mindless blru of bashing the same drum is good.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Odium, thats a damn good choice.

Raymond Herrera's double bass drum work is f***ing amazing. I might be going to see Fear Factory in April.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
speaking of fast double kick, ever hear of virgil donati?

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
No, but I have now. Just looking on his website as I type...

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
In order

Adam Jarvis - Misery Index
Vinnie Paul - Pantera
John Bonham - Led Zepplin

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I saw Bullet in a Bible lately and while not in the top 5 Tre Cool is definately one of the most entertaining.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I'd have to add Rob Hirst of Midnight Oil. Great, powerful drummer.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I gotta say Danny Carey from Tool,
the dude from Meshuggah,
and the three percusionists from Slipknot
make a hell of a racket on the skins.

Plus the guy from Ill Nino.

I respect lots of music other than metal, but this is hard stuff to play on the drums.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Proscriptor McGovern - Absu/Melechesh

Flo Mounier - Cryptopsy

Those are a couple not yet mentioned I believe.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Matt Cameron - Pearl Jam

David Krusen - Pearl Jam

Chris Vrenna - Nine Inch Nails

Ginger Fish - Marilyn Manson

[edit on 22-1-2006 by The Juvey]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   
As a bass player, drummers are my best friends....

I will never say who the best drummer is because there is not such a thing.

I will only say who MY favorites are.

Jo Jones: Buddy Rich, Crupa and a whole legion of drummers took a lot from him..... and they will be the fist to admit it.

Jimmy Cobb: Played on some of the greatest jazz records of all time. Just a monster sense of swing/groove.

Stewart Copeland: R&R attitude mixed up with reggae, gotta love him.

Bonham: Amazing fee and tone.

Any of the James Brown drummers; Sabo and stubblfield are the two main stickouts for me though.

Barrett from Bob Marley's band. Need I say more about him?

Steve Gadd. no explanation needed.

Tony Williams.... intense and amazing.

Just could not keep it to five! Sorry...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Holy resurrection Batman. I was just listening to old Kiss and needed to put a song somewhere.

Peter Criss was a good drummer but his vocals were very underrated. I'd go as far as their best vocalist. I guess if he sang it wouldn't have given Paul much to do.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join