It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irish Defence Forces- Air Corps Inventory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The Irish Air corps mostly fly Civil type aircraft such as Gulfstream jets, Cessna 172s and small propellor driven light attack aircraft. I believe they once flew Spitfires and Hawker Hurricanes during WW2.

www.scramble.nl...

www.military.ie...

www.military.ie...

www.scramble.nl...

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It is mad to think they never even had a jet fighter in service!. The only true fighters they had were the Hawker Hurricanes and Spitfires.

If they were going to have Jet fighters, They should have F-16s, Old Mirage F-1s, A-4 Skyhawks, and maybe older F-18s but i dont think they spend much on thier defence. The A-4 Skyhawk would well suit the Irish being a small nifty attack plane. I dont think they would need fighters much but Attackers would suit them. How about the OV-10 Bronco?

Heard they will be getting new aircraft soon.

One time i went to an airshow, I seen a Lear/Gulfstream type buisness jet armed with missiles under its wings, Could it be thiers?

A list of aircraft that would suit them:

Douglas A-1 Skyraiders.

Republic F-84s.

BAE Hawks

DeHavilland Vampires/Venoms.

Vought F-7 Cutlass.

Gloster Meteors.

Avro Canada CF-100 Canucks.

NUMBER ONE CHOICE
A-4 Skyhawks.

Guess early jets would suit them, Didnt Australia/New Zealand still operate F-86 Sabres till the 1990s?

Those Irish are outdated with some weaponry, They still use British 25 Pounder Guns!

[edit on 27-12-2005 by Browno]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Yeah... When I once made a thread about different countries air-forces, I was really surprised when I heard that Ireland doesn't ahve a "real" fighter...

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
they use plastic guns too,
www.remtek.com...
the IRA were better equiped before ''decomishining'', maybe thats who owned the jet with the missiles!!

seriously, its a defence force, not even a real army, who's main role is peacekeeping and anti-terroist op's, for that you don't need jets and such, and by the way the planes they do have are crocks of s**t and all. the air corps mainly consists of four wind socks and a guy with a kite.

the ''propellor driven light attack aircraft'' sound like the search and rescue helicopters that are used for mountain rescue and such,but they could be remote controlled toy planes that buzz about and annoy the enemy in times of conflict, the jets are for the gov. officials and the cesnas are on their last legs, kept going by taking spares off other cesnas when the wings have fallen off. if they do get new planes they'll probably be owned by ryanair and offer a low cost alternitive to having an airforce, more efficantly.

[edit on 27-12-2005 by pieman]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Er, The Republic of Ireland did have jets actually.

6 Fouga Magister trainer/light strike jets.

They retired them in 1999 as the Irish armed forces have no actual need of any such aircraft nor the expense of operating any such pointless 'totem'.

Ireland's armed forces are 'tuned' towards what they need and actually do.

In other words, making a significant and internationally highly respected contribution towards the UN's international peace-keeping forces.

Which they do.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
www.irishairpics.com...
www.scramble.nl...

Guess thats why they use buisness jets armed with missiles, part of a peacekepping thing, I seen jets like that back in 1997 at the woodford airshow. But they are not manouverable as such unless that job is left to its missiles.

I guess the Irish Pilots miss the Fouga Magisters, they were the best planes in the Irish airforce and there were only 6 of them!, The Irish AF seem to be more like the police/coast guard rather than a Military service

The Pilatus PC-9s would be nice to fly in at low level, maybe the
SIAI Marchetti SF260WE Warriors but i would still rather fly proper Jet Fighters than those things.

I didnt know the IRA had access to aircraft! , sorry i mean the Irish Defence Forces!

Not bad those Magisters, nice n nifty but still not fighter planes

tontonth.free.fr...

www.paulharrison-photography.co.uk...

Anyone heard of the Folland Gnat/HAL Ajeet?

users.kymp.net...

users.kymp.net...

[edit on 28-12-2005 by Browno]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Uhm, we have no fighters as we have no need for them... something I'm in complete support of - why waste millions of euros a yr on something that will just be gathering dust.

The Irish Air Corps concentrates on SAR work with the coastguard, and flying Bertie around - that pretty much it.

One of the fellas in my undergrad class was with them before uni, I think he flew a few hours on single props (maybe pipers or cessnas, I've no idea).

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
we dont need an army or an air force who in their right mind would want to invade this country we were a head ach for 800 years to the english who tried to treat us as equals ( I know they did some bad things to us but they also did some very good things for us,)it was the chatolic church who stop the progress of the irish as the second country of the british empire

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Judging by the above two posts, I'm going to tread carefully....

The Irish air corps are the size they need to be. Over the last 20 years vast amounts of foreign aid have been given to Ireland and if they had a real defence requirement I have no doubt British or EU produced aircraft would have been provided.
Their requirements are based around fishing protections, anti-smuggling operations and geographical survery work and their inventory matches them precisely.
It also doesnt hurt that they are sadwiched between two close allies (Britain and France) who are the regional military powers.

Jensy

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jensy

It also doesnt hurt that they are sandwiched between two close allies (Britain and France) who are the regional military powers.

Jensy

Ireland are? I think you need a new atlas Jensy, yours appears to be defective.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by waynos]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Ireland are? I think you need a new atlas Jensy, yours appears to be defective.

Oh Christ, I feel an "Ireland is out of place on the map" thread looming on the horizon.

[edit on 28/5/10 by pieman]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

I woud really like to try and defend what I meant, but to be honest I have no idea what I was thinking.

Here goes anyway...

In a vague sense though they are two nations with unmatched naval aviation prowess on our side of the Atlantic, not going into my annual rant on the Nimrod, which effectively covers Irish waters and airspace.

P.S glad to see you're still around Waynos, haven't been on the forum in a while.

Jensy

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Still lurking my friend, tbh there haven't been too many threads that grabbed my interest lately, but when I saw your post I couldn't help myself. Did you like the artwork?

PS, I did realise what you really meant, but the opportunity was too good to pass up.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
What does Ireland need a "real fighter" for? They have absolutely no need for air superiority anywhere.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

I cannot believe you spent time on that map!!
Such positioning of Ireland would have put a twist on the Battle of Britain in WWII.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

I very much appreciate the effort you must have put in to recreating Europe.
Likewise the forum seems a lot quiter these days, must be more interestin hg areas of ATS.

@Daedalus3

I cannot resist your question, whole new thread on its way.

Jensy

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
We are a peaceful and mostly neutral nation. We do not need any new planes.

I say mostly neutral becuase depending on who is in power they will accept 'brown envelopes' to let troops use some airports passing through to bomb other countries.

The fact that our country is now bankrupt will mean that our pretend army/airforce/navy could be shrinking even more.

On a more serious note our troops have been used in many peace keeping missions and done great work

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Browno

When i was a kid they used to have about 6 Vampire jets.....

new topics

top topics

join