It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does "REAL" IQ Compare to online tests?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Got one when I was a kid. My parents brought me to some office of some sort that administers those tests.

Got a 140.

I guess I got stupider as I got older.

EDIT:

Online or not, it doesn't matter. It's how you apply that IQ in life. Even if you have an IQ of 1000, but it turns out that you're just some 2-bit loser, then your IQ doesn't matter.

Heck, you wouldn't be a loser if you have a high intelligence quotient in the first place. Then again - weirder things have happened.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Unregistered]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
For starters, the HS test was 20 points off what I have received on the WAIS-III. Not gonna say my scores because they are unimportant. First off the HS test is not monitored, gives you plenty of time per question and frankly I think may be more for entertainment that anything. But then again I am a person who dislikes IQ testing.

As I studied psychology I started learning to loathe IQ tests for several reasons.

First, you are trying to quantify something that is somewhat abstract and terribly diverse. IQ can come in many forms from the emotional IQ, social, pattern recognition, cognitive ability blah blah blah.

Second, your sampling IMO isn’t near big enough. 2200 people with 200 per age band just doesn’t seem strong enough to me. Where were the samples taken? Who was involved?

WAIS-IV sampling

Third, I think it is a terrible idea to ever find out your scores. I think labeling yourself (PS…I am a master of the disastrous art of labeling) is risky business. Let’s say we go with the WAIS-IV. Our Mean is 100. So you go in expecting to get 120 (example) and you come out with a 100. Well, you are still average but now you run an emotional risk because you may feel less worthy.

On the other hand you go in expecting a 105 and wind up with a 136. Now you run the risk of ego.

Finally, as the lovely nixie mentioned, why are we so insistent on drawing lines? What about the unexplored genius? Why do we have to have a cutoff based on a few scopes? You can be in MENSA but ONLY if you score the top 15%. It seems foolish. There are plenty of bright and terribly logical people who may score only a 100 on something like the WAIS-IV.

Before anyone get’s all tied up in knots, no I didn’t get rejected from MENSA and am taking it out on testing. I have taken the test and am quite happy with the meaningless result.

My wife is bright, clever and terribly smart. If you ask me she outweighs me in smarts but she has a disorder called dyscalculia (PS don’t worry mods we talk about this openly)

Dyscalculia

Part of dyscalculia is issues with pattern recognition (a strongly-used indicator in IQ) so she could be viewed as lesser in the IQ department.

Labels…they are very ugly

-Kyo

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
The Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test, more commonly known as the FCAT, is a series of exams given to students of specific grade levels over the course of their public school career. As Florida's public schools are guided by detailed “Sunshine State Standards” and benchmarks in all core realms of academia, the FCAT serves to critically measure students' retention and comprehension of the mandatory curriculum.

For example, students are assessed depending on grade level on information from topics such as:

· Grades 3 through 10 – FCAT evaluates reading skills and abilities

· Grades 5, 8, and 10 – FCAT evaluates reading, mathematics, and science skills and abilities

· Additionally, grades 4, 8, and 10 evaluate key content material in addition to writing skills

In more closely examining the FCAT, the assessment focuses on “Sunshine State Standards,” which have gradually been established to represent the key material that Florida residents believe their children must understand at each specific grade level.

For example, the FCAT reading assessments evaluate the construction of meaning from informational and literary texts, while the FCAT mathematics assessments evaluate students' comprehension of the sense, concepts, and operations of numbers, while the math tests continue to gradually evaluate students' measurement, geometry, spatial sense, algebraic, and data analysis skills.
=========================
Breast Augmentation | Breast Enlargement

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by cena2020
The Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test, more commonly known as the FCAT, is a series of exams given to students of specific grade levels over the course of their public school career.
=========================
Breast Augmentation | Breast Enlargement

I could back a test a bit more such as the FCAT because it is progressive and not a one-time shot. Regardless I still think that intelligence testing is altogether a trivial pursuit…pun

This is giving me an idea to start a new thread

-Kyo

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNut23

Well if you really have an iq of 136 you wanna change that avatar of yours yes?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think I read that Stephen Hawking regards numerical IQ as pointless, and people who 'brag' about their own are losers.

In terms of that test I got 124. Interesting to note that that is indeed the cut off point for membership...lucky me.

As an aside it has been estimated his IQ is 160+ some have even said 250+ .

[edit on 22/7/10 by Jon Quinn]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jon Quinn

I think that an intelligent man or woman might show their IQ scores while feeling pride and/or shame.

But a wise man or woman doesn't require a Wisdom quotient.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join