page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
A day the soldiers refused to fight.

The Christmas Truce

12-24-5

On Christmas Day, 1914, in the first year of World War I, German, British, and French soldiers disobeyed their superiors and fraternized with "the enemy" along two-thirds of the Western Front. German troops held Christmas trees up out of the trenches with signs, "Merry Christmas." "You no shoot, we no shoot."

Thousands of troops streamed across a no-man's land strewn with rotting corpses. They sang Christmas carols, exchanged photographs of loved ones back home, shared rations, played football, even roasted some pigs.

Soldiers embraced men they had been trying to kill a few short hours before. They agreed to warn each other if the top brass forced them to fire their weapons, and to aim high.

A shudder ran through the high command on either side. Here was disaster in the making: soldiers declaring their brotherhood with each other and refusing to fight.

Generals on both sides declared this spontaneous peacemaking to be treasonous and subject to court martial.

By March, 1915 the fraternization movement had been eradicated and the killing machine put back in full operation. By the time of the armistice in 1918, fifteen million would be slaughtered.

Not many people have heard the story of the Christmas Truce. Military leaders have not gone out of their way to publicize it.

On Christmas Day, 1988, a story in the Boston Globe mentioned that a local FM radio host played "Christmas in the Trenches," a ballad about the Christmas Truce, several times and was startled by the effect. The song became the most requested recording during the holidays in Boston on several FM stations. Listen Hear

Source

Mod edit: changed title on authors request

[edit on 2007/12/25 by Hellmutt]

edit on 22/12/2011 by Sauron because: internal quote tags to external quote tags

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Just a bump,
it would be nice to see this happen again.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well the link above for the audio is now “kah put” I did come across a video of the song.

Christmas In The Trenches

Words & Music
By John McCutcheon

This happened 93 years ago.

[edit on 24/12/2007 by Sauron]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
One wonders what life woulds have been like if the troops had walked away from the war and returned home as a follow on to the events of this day in 1914. A very moving and awe enspiring episode in such a terrible episode in history.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Hi and Christmas greetings Sauron,
The song I remember about the event was indeed inspiring, heartwarming and etc. Many of my close relatives were of German descent so WWI made little sense to us. Many of our Christmas songs were indeed sung in German! So the thought was that if we all are relatives and friends, why should we be fighting a major war? 1914, 1940 or whenever? But... we must remember that WAR is part of the agenda... on planet Earth... That is the lesson of history.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It's a shame that this song couldn't be played first on every war game sold this season. We teach our children that war is a great and heroic event, but it's really a dirty and pitiful business.

Mery Christmas to each and all, and especially to those who serve.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Inspsirational post. Thank you. I sent it to my dad, the Colonel. Look forward to his response.

Happy holiday season to everyone,

Peace,
Chutso

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This is the earliest I have bumped this thread I have tried over the few years to bump this thread closer to Christmas, It touches me as well I think it's a cool story from history, the video is worth watching (imho)

[edit on 15/12/2008 by Sauron]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

By March, 1915 the fraternization movement had been eradicated and the killing machine put back in full operation.

I have only ever heard that the truce lasted the day? Where can I find the source that it lasted until March?

Thanks

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by muddyhoop
I have only ever heard that the truce lasted the day? Where can I find the source that it lasted until March?

Thanks

Yes the truce lasted the day, I did a quick google March, 1915 the fraternization movementbut did not find much at all. I personally think that if there was a "fraternization movement" it would really have been just the high so to speak, of what the men involved experienced that night. And it took a few months to wear off. Or if there was a movement it took till March for the Brass to move people around.

My knowledge of WWI is limited, to put it mildly. So I'm probably way off the mark.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
When Christmas meant something, I am saddened when I look around at us today and over the years and see how commercial Christmas has become.

So on another note, Merry Christmas and have a great day.
Sauron

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Wow I never heard of this one just the WW2 Fritz one.

Not surprised the govt. wouldn't mention it, at the same time this day in age you would think what's done is done can't change the past or arrogance of the past leaders.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Garth Brooks also wrote a song referencing this: Belleau Wood

Much better song IMO

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
One can only imagine the beauty of the human race if it was not messed with and it's realities distorted.

Think about it, what if everyone just walked away from the distortions?

Patriotism is taught from birth in all countries. Your flag, my flag. That is what war is really all about. Love your country, we are right, they are wrong, kill them to save our way of life. But, do we really know our enemies? Or, are we told who they are?

Ask yourself, who is ingraining the patriotism, and then who points the finger at the enemy?

This is the beauty of the video. Each side just walked away, and discovered we are really all the same. This is a very strong message.

Thanks for the post, and Merry Christmas to all.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It just shows the utter stupidly of those that sign up to kill, no excuse nowadays, everyone knows that you are just cannon fodder on the NWO chess board. So I can only guess that anyone who joins today is lacking in the brain department and deserves our pity for their stupidity and we should all try and show these simpletons that their stupidity causes untold death and destruction around the world. They are not ‘our boys’ If any read this then let me make it clear. If there is no-one to fire a weapon no-one dies, so get your ass back to your own country and grow-up!

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mlmijyd

Everyone has there own reasons mlmijyd, please feel free to open a new thread on that subject. I would prefer this thread not drift.
Thanks
Sauron

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Great thread Sauron. This will be one of the topics on Wednesday's Reality Remix Live. Feel free to call and weigh in on it if you like.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
One story to come from it was about some guys up in the front trenches where the lines between sides were very close. This patrol was supposed to occupy some foxholes in no -man's land as sentries. They heard movement towards the enemy lines and the order to remain still and hide was passed around. In the quiet the sound of something hurtling through the air came and landed with a thud in the midst of the soldiers.

Grenades were a nightmare in foxholes as the energy is contained and the damage to anyone nearby is catastrophic, much worse than most bullet wounds could be. In order to save his comrades a corporal threw himself on it. He arose with his belly soaked and broken glass lay in the mud.

The enemy had tossed a bottle of wine at them. Being Christmas eve and no shooting could be heard they offered a flag of truce and an impromptu exchange of gifts was done between sides. They shared wine, cheese and bread and sang carols together. After a good long while by mutual decision it was decided to return to their respective lines, each fully knowing that after the sun rose things would be just as they were the day before - each side doing everything they could to kill the other. There would be no mercy tomorrow but for one night by mutual assent there would be no fighting. They would be simple soldiers, men without country or no cause but to see but another sunrise.
edit on 16-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Thanks very much for you offer, but I will decline.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
There were more than one Christmas Truce I have been told stories of my great grandpa being in one in 1916 this is not known to historians only through letters.

The proof I have of this is the stories and the fact my great grandpa and his brother wasn't at war before 1916 they left on July 1916.

They were part of 40 Infantry Battalion (July 1916) embarked on the HMAT Berrima A35.. fought at Somme.
edit on 18/12/2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join