It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

String Theory - layman's explanation please?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm interested in understanding "String Theory" - and hope someone with more smarts than me can give me a 'laymen's explanation'.

I'm particularly interested in the parallel universe aspects. I've listened to Michio Kaku and have explored his website:

www.mkaku.org...

Also - what is the difference between parallel dimensions and parallel universes?

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If you get a chance, pick up the book "The Elegant Universe"; the author provides the best layman's explanation of string theory I've ever heard.

it's extremely complicated, but the basic tenet is that quantum particles, and therefore, ultimately, all matter and energy, are composed of tiny (really tiny) 'strings', which are basically just vibrating loops of energy.

As for the parallel universe theory, that's something String Theory has really opened up, but you might find out more about it by researching Membrane theory, or "M-theory", which posits all manner of parallel realities existing in spatial dimensions we can't percieve.

good luck on your quest for knowledge; if there's anything I can do to help feel free to U2U me.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Why read when you can watch?

www.pbs.org...

Quicktime is required. Narrated by Brian Greene

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Excellent! Finished first hour and will watch the rest later this weekend!

Happy Holidays!

Shawnna

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Also Read Kaku's books, he is a rather large figure in the world of String Theory

www.kurzweilai.net.../bios/bio0227.html?

Interesting Bio on him.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Why read when you can watch?

www.pbs.org...

Quicktime is required. Narrated by Brian Greene

Brilliant job sardion! Had a marathon viewing last night (till 5 a.m.) and must say it was all fascinating suff. I just hope we get the breakthrough in our lifetimes. We certainly live in interesting times...

top topics

join