It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2006 PC... What is coming? please help me...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel

If you refuse to believe that a hundred thousand dollar Nvidia card is a misprint you are beyond help. Not once did I insult you.

I don't understand why you are unwilling to email and ask if its a misprint.

Prove me wrong I can take it, and even willing to say you where right. It wouldn't be the first and it will not be the last.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I would wait until the 65 nm chips come out from Intel, which may be in a couple of months.
They should run cooler and use fewer watts the the current P4s.

I've heard that the Nvida chipset Motherboards do not perform reliably on the Intel CPU platform but they do very well on the AMD platform.

If you're going with Intel you should probably get an Intel chipset for the best reliability.

As others have said, you should probably go with DDR2 RAM.
SATA hard drive of at least 200GB so you can store ISOs of your games instead of swapping CDs.
A good DVD burner.
A decent case with 400 or 500 watt power supply with 24 pin ATX connector. I like Antec cases a lot but they've been getting mixed reviews recently.

If you're into extra gadgets you can check out the ASUS motherboards with the WiFi-TV bundle.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

If you're into extra gadgets you can check out the ASUS motherboards

I have the ASUS AI series board. AMD 3400 chip. Very happy with the Board and chip combo.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Im only somewhat in the know, but ill post what ive picked up so far

I see that you wanted intel now that i read more posts, but the AMD overheating problems your describing is long in the past. Right now intel is the hotter cpu and the AMD X2 series is the performance leaders. But don't take my word for it search for some performance tests (benchmarks) !!

AMD will release a new platform based on DDR2 memory called Socket AM2 (earlier M2) probably in Q1 or Q2.. not totally sure.

Nvidia will release their new GeForce series 8 in the middle of 2006.
ATi will of course also have new cards sometimes.

From AMD in 2007 (i think) there will be tripple and quad core cpu's, hopefully based on the same motherboards with socet am2.

There will be a dedicated Physics chip from a company called Ageia, the cards will be released by Asus, BFG and others in February or March 2006.. of course it will need game support but Unreal 3 (wich will have its engine licensed to lot of game developers) and other games will support these cards. This will help the games become more interactive by having alot more interactive objects on screen simultaneousley i think it was up to 50.000 from typically 30-40 with just a cpu and no ppu (physics processing unit).
www.ageia.com...

Btw what you read about Intel going for 10 Ghz.. they did not calulate lekage power and other things and got terrible overheating problems.. so thats why they are not on 5-6 Ghz today.. but are instead adding more cores instead of more ghz.. doing many things at the time instead of just doing 1 thing faster. This is why we will see 4 core cpu's in 2007.

Also for different reasons Intel and AMD do a different number of instructions per clockcykel (Hz), so you cant just look at Mhz/Ghz anymore.. a 2Ghz AMD is much faster than a 2 Ghz Intel. this is why both companies now have rating numbers instead of Ghz.

[edit on 24-12-2005 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by ArchAngel

If you refuse to believe that a hundred thousand dollar Nvidia card is a misprint you are beyond help. Not once did I insult you.

I don't understand why you are unwilling to email and ask if its a misprint.

Prove me wrong I can take it, and even willing to say you where right. It wouldn't be the first and it will not be the last.

C'mon mister Spittincobra tree dude =)
have you had those magic mushrooms growing on you again

Quadro FX 4500 - PCI Express x16 - 512 MB GDDR3 SDRAM
Sale Price: $1839.53
www.dreamhardware.com...

I know there are versions with 1 gig frame buffer specially made for the government or military.. but even those would not come at such a ludicrous price point! First and second time it was just funny, but 6 times in the same thread. C'mon.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Thanks for all the info guys (and gals?) I really appreciate the help...

Now I've got a better view on whats going to be out there next year...

Hopefully I'll be able to get the following system:

- Intel 3.5 GHz Multicore processor
- Geforce 8800 (or whatever it going to be called)
- 4GB RAM
- at least a 200+ GB Harddrive
- Motherboard with Intel Chipset plus the needed components to make all the other stuff work and PhysX chip enhanced ofcourse
- Blu-Ray Drive (hopefuly)

As for sound... Don't know exactly whats out there... But I'm sure I can find a good sound card out there

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angelwithsoul
- Blu-Ray Drive (hopefuly)

Do you think Blu-Ray will win out over HD-DVD?
Even though it's got a higher storage capacity than HD-DVD it may not hit the mainstream as well as the HD-DVD format, which is supposed to be cheaper than Blu-Ray.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Even though it's got a higher storage capacity than HD-DVD it may not hit the mainstream as well as the HD-DVD format, which is supposed to be cheaper than Blu-Ray.

I read most companies back the Blu-Ray format... And I think Blu-Ray will probably win the battle cause of that... So I'm going with that... But I could be wrong though... so... who knows...

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angelwithsoul

I read most companies back the Blu-Ray format... And I think Blu-Ray will probably win the battle cause of that... So I'm going with that... But I could be wrong though... so... who knows...

There might be the case that Blu-ray wins, especially for computer storage. Everyone that uses discs for archiving or backing things up, will probably want less amount of discs, and the 15 Gb vs 27 Gb (1-layer Hd-dvd vs. 1-layer Blu-ray disc) is alot of a difference. Then when considering 2 and 3-4 layer discs that eventually might come into play the difference grows even more.

I hope that this format will become standard for both computers and home video. The release of Sonys PlayStation 3 will probably help Blu-ray alot.

Other than that there are other formats like HVD (Holographic Versatile Disc) en.wikipedia.org...
Also Pioneer and probably others are working with Violet laser formats. But since HD-DVD and Blu-ray have been under development a long time and are both starting to get finalized specs.. both of these formats will be avalible earlier, the other formats might take a few years before they go mainstream.

About Blu-ray beeing more expensive i think this is not the case, it will be an initiall cost when they have to upgrade the machines to be able to make the discs. Once the machines is upgraded i expect the material cost for both kinds of discs to be about the same.

The companies that established the basic specifications for the Blu-ray Disc are: Hitachi Ltd., LG Electronics Inc., Matsu#a Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., Pioneer Corporation, Royal Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., Sharp Corporation, Sony Corporation, and Thomson Multimedia.

[edit on 25-12-2005 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Well... Most major film studios are behind the Blu-Ray format so I'm expecting movies to be available on Blu-Ray before the end of 2006... That's why I want a Blu-Ray Drive installed in my PC so I'm ready to enjoy HD quality movies... I already got my eyes set on the new Superman movie should it become available on Blu-Ray

I'm expecting Blu-Ray to win the battle... And then eventually the HVD to take over somewhen 2007 or 2008... But thats just my view on it ofcourse...

But thats the reason I want a Blu-Ray Drive... It should be released somewhen between next month and May I think?

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The HD-DVD format also hs quite a lot of support from very big name companies in the technology and enternatinment fields.

en.wikipedia.org...

HD DVD is promoted by Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, and, most recently, Microsoft, HP[1], and Intel, and may be non-exclusively backed by four major studios: New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures, Universal Studios and Warner Bros.

The triple layer disks will have storage capacities of 45GB so I don't think size will be much of an issue.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Well This is what it will have to beat!

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm guessing:

2006:
-64 bit will be a standard when VISTA comes out
-Windows VISTA (next-gen OS)
-Multi-core processors (2, 3 to 4 cores)
-Physics Processing Units
-2 GB of RAM will be standard (right now 1 GB is)
-New Socket types (Socket M2 and Socket F)
-DDR3 Memory modules
-Dual-GPU's
-18x CD write speeds
-LCD and DLP keyboards (keys on keyboards have their own little screen that changes according to what program you're using)
-OLED displays
-Direct X10

2007:
-3 and 4 core GPU's
-4-6 GB of RAM will be a standard
-Optical CPU's
-Optical GPU's
-Optical PPU's

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

AMD will release a new platform based on DDR2 memory called Socket AM2 (earlier M2) probably in Q1 or Q2.. not totally sure.

AMD already has a board that can handle DDR2 memory, it's called the AMD 64 NForce 4 SLI board.
My buddy just got it and it rawks.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Anyone remember RDRAM?

Yes, I do.
I have a built to order 2.5-3 year [which may be older--I'd have to look at the paperwork again, if necessary] old Alienware P3 desktop comp that I had RDRAM [1 gig] put into when initially built [which owned at the time]. It rocks or did anyhow when compared to RAM used today. Anyhow, I used the system to exclusively play DII online on Battlenet for nearly 2 plus years.

I would agree though that the main thing to have on any comp, be it desktop or laptop, is RAM.

seekerof

[edit on 26-12-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Whats the overall best video card currently availiable?

by "Best" I dont mean newest and most expensive, I mean best bang for your buck.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Whats the overall best video card currently availiable?

by "Best" I dont mean newest and most expensive, I mean best bang for your buck.

For less than $300, eVGA e-GeForce 6800 GS.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The best possible videocard you can get (that's avaliable to the market, not worldwide business), is two NVIDIA 7800 512 MB GTX's in SLI. Pure pwnage.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
i guess i do not make enough to stay "current" in the computer area.

my 3 year old computer still beats my buddies $6000 alienware game machine though and is tons more stable.

Ok- ok so my video card is not supported by battlefield 2 (bummer)- his doesn't handle my cad too well- or we have to find out since loading solidworks tends to overheat his system and bring it all crashing down.

yeah you guessed it- i have a CAD machine- purpose built- running solidworks 2004 pro (cant afford to upgrade it either). It needs to make it at least another 2 years before an upgrade- i am trying to finish MY fab shop and a Baja 500 car- those cost lots of money!

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
What is the best OS for playing games?

I am using Windows 2000 and despite having a reasonable hardware set-up, the games seem to run very slow?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join