It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis somewhere west of Gibraltar?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I looked up atlantis in one of my school's dictionaries and i stumbled upon this definition: Atlantis: Legendary island somewhere west of Gibraltar, said to have sunk beneath the Atlantic.

I thought that was pretty interesting because the dictionary said it sunk somewhere in the atlantic, rather than the Medditteranean (i know i spelt that wrong) sea.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I think it's interesting, too. Perhaps the ice age flooded the city.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Very interesting take on this. I have never heard this theory before.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
the dictionary suggests it sunk in the atlantic, unlike what many other researchers think.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
NIce find, although I thought that Atlantis was off the coast of Greece. If you look on google earth, you can gfind loads of islands around it, some are harder to find, these might be atlantis?

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Plato gave us all the information we have on Atlantis and also gave us some directions. He said is was located past "The Pillars of Hercules" pretty much everyone agrees the Pillars of Hercules are infact the Strait of Gibraltar which puts Atlantis some where in the Atlantic.

Glooper23 raised a interesting theory. Plato's timescale for Atlantis some 9,000 years before his time is pretty much right on the money for when the Last major ice age ended. It put every coast line on earth under some 200-300 feet of year. So any costal cities of pre-Iceage man would be under hundreds of feet of water now.

I tend to like theories dealing with the Bermuda region since all those little islands would have been much bigger in those days with some of the best weather for humans during the ice age since its on the equator. Many of the islands could have even been connected.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:03 AM
link   
yeah the bermuda triangle is a good theory.

some say there is a sunken continent in the south china sea that hold Atlantis and the Garden of Eden, the Island of Avalon and the Garden of the Hesperides

[edit on 31-1-2006 by spearhead]

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I thought Atlantis was in the middle of the Atlanic ocean. Look on the maps and theres a very shallow area of water in middle of the atlantic.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I think youre possibley talking abou the same thing i was a few months back, see my atlantis and the azores thread.

Regards.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I think one thing to remember is that nobody ever said is was "due west" of Gibraltar, and if you look at the maps, people had kind of a loose idea of what west was (mostly just the direction of the sunset).

My guess is for the Canary Islands, but the Mid-Atlantic Ridge certainly is right there.

Look at this map!

topex.ucsd.edu...

[edit on 24-2-2006 by Enkidu]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Those are interesting theories. I believe when Atlantis is finally found it will be found in the Caribbean Sea. Look on the map that Enkidu left a link to. It has all of the characteristics of the description of Atlantis.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Why do people still tend to say atlantis is in the mediterranean, because no one who has even mentioned atlantis during the supposed time of its existence has ever said it was in the mediterranean sea. The always said it was in the atlantic off the coastal area off Gibraltar. Why have we've been looking in the wrong places. Look right in the middle of the atlantic and the latitude of spain. That is where it is.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Text

An interesting topic to say the least but I do wonder though, why is it we all tend to consider this in such a "SMALL" way.

We have been advised, although breifly by the Network News, of the findings of Mosaic Floors and Pillars which resemble many such finds from the Med Region. These findings though, are just off the Southern Coast of Cuba. The Floorings are beautiful, and detailed and retain that Old World Flair

We are aware of the Arts and Crafts of the inhabitants of the Canary Islands, and their knowledge of Plant and Animal Spieces from the Americas.

Are we not truely discussing an area that enveloped the Whole of the Atlantic Span??

Something that brought the Races together, yet allowed them to retain their individuality. The Similiarities in Religous Beliefs, in the most basic sense, is striking. Even today, although perversion of the Centeral theme has occured through time. the Core elements remain the same.

Just thought I throw this in for consideration and comments.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Is there any goddamn place left on planet Earth where Atlantis should have been?
I personally feel that Atlantis is on the dark side of the Moon!
Can anyone prove me wrong?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
No atlantis isn't on the dark side of the moon, it's the azores islands. Well they are the remnants of it. everything else that you hear about possible locations of atlantis are false. Atlantis perfectly fits in with the azores islands, plato said it was there, and he was the only man to actually make accountings of it. So saying that it's off the coast of cyprus would be completely crazy. Just goes to show you how Americans think they can find everything without even looking at the obviously evidence.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Nice nationalistic tendencies sir, why would you say people and not Americans, why inculde an entire country of people because of the beliefs of a few, I would wager that you could find people in any society that didn't pay ettention/weren't observant...

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The Azores has always made most sense to me as being the location of Atlantis. There is some evidence to suggest that the Azores had been visited by Phoenician or Carthaginian sailors, and they may have even used it as a resupply point when undertaking trips further west to the America's. A statue of a horse and rider pointing West was supposedly found on Corvo i think as well as some phoenician coins. This to me may suggest that either the Phoenicians or Carthaginians could of had some knowledge of where these islands were, ancient charts maybe, or legends passed down. The Phoenicians also traded extensively with Egypt at the time, which is where Solon got his information from Egyptian priests regarding Atlantis, and which Plato then wrote about. So could the Phoenicians have also had access to this information regarding the location of Atlantis from the Egyptians?

www.earth-history, some alternative views.

Diodorus the ancient Greek historian wrote that thousands of years earlier Phoenicians had been to the immense Atlantic island (where Plato wrote Atlantis was.

www.lilithgallery.com

Plato described Atlantis as being ruled by ten kings before its demise.
In Egyptian mythology states there was originally 10 god-kings, who ruled in a foreign country. They were called Auriteans, but the actual pronunciation is unsure because hieroglyphs only approximate real sounds.
The Phoenician historian Sanchuniathon (1193 BC) calls the same kings "Aleteans". Note this is 600 years before Plato was even born.

Some interesting material here, including maps

So far this century there has been a confirmed report of a one mile rise in the floor of the ocean 576 miles north of Azores when a trans-atlantic cable broke. Dr David F. Zhirov in 1970 reported sand beaches and coral at a depths of 2 miles south of the Azores. Confirmed evidence exists that sections of the Mid-Atlantic ridge have been above sea level in the past and fresh water diatoms have been found 2 miles down in the Azores area dated 10,000 to 12,000 BC.
Volcanic material described as un-dissolved tachylite was found on Telegraph Bank 500 miles north of Azores, indicating that it had been laid down above sea level at some time between 50,000 BC and 10,000 BC. Sediment core analysis at locations off the coast of Africa have proved a 2 mile sinkage of volcanic island structures similar to those of the Azores.

Interesting article on the history of the Azores

Corvo along with Flores are the two westernmost islands of the archipelago, and hence, the last inch of European soil. It was here in the early 1500's, that Damiao de Goes, under the employment of King Dom Manoel of Portugal, wrote of a statue of a man on horseback pointing to the west which was clinging to a rocky ledge. The king asked for a drawing of it, and after seeing the drawing, he sent someone to bring it back. As the story goes, it was shattered in a storm en route, but the king received the parts. There too was an inscription in the rock below the statue, and an impression was taken of it. But neither the shattered parts of the statue, nor the impression of the inscription were ever found.33 Was it a hoax? Scholars are still unsure.Some have speculated that the statue was really just one of many rock formations seen on the island and nothing more.34 Others feel it did exist and could have been evidence of the lost continent of Atlantis, or of another settlement of ancient peoples. Coins too were found on Corvo, and their images were published in a journal of the Society of Gothenberg. They were considered to be of Carthagenian or Cyrenean origin by the society.35 A twentieth century Portuguese scholar, made a serious effort to locate the coins. He went to the convent to which they were first supposedly taken. He also visited museums where he thought information could be found. But his investigation turned up nothing.36

Atlantis was supposedly destroyed by Volcanic eruptions, Earthquakes and Tidal waves which, coincidentally, continue to make life on the Azores difficult.
From the same article as above.

The Azores is a lively place to be. There is a continuous chain of earthquakes and volcanic activity that has had a great effect on its inhabitants. Many of them have left the islands in horror after witnessing one of these catacylysmic events. But disasters are bound to happen when a volcanic environment is home for thousands of human beings.89

There have been 21 major volcanic eruptions in the past 550 years collectively occurring on the islands of Sao Miguel, Terceira, Pico, Sao Jorge, and Faial

There have been 18 major temblors on the islands in recorded history.99 One such quake took place in 1522 when the entire village of Villa Franca, on Sao Miguel island, having 5,000 residents, and being the center of government, was engulfed within sixty seconds by land mass thrown from a hill behind the village. It caused a tidal wave and other destruction in the adjascent islands. It took a year to dig the village out and to give Christian burials to its 5,000 victims.

For me the Azores makes the most sense and seems to fit alot of what Plato wrote about where Atlantis was and how it came to be destroyed.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Your question is Atlantis somewhere West of Gibraltar? I say yes. It is located in the Greater and Lesser Antilles. This is why I say this.

First here are some images of the area I am speaking of:

ActiveMind.com

Critias:
"The whole country was said by him to be very lofty and precipitous on the side of the sea, but the country immediately about and surrounding the city was a level plain, itself surrounded by mountains which descended towards the sea; it was smooth and even, and of an oblong shape, extending in one direction three thousand stadia, but across the centre inland it was two thousand stadia. This part of the island looked towards the south, and was sheltered from the north."

I see this as being the Caribbean Sea. As you can see in the images I'm showing the Caribbean Sea is an oblong shape which could possibly have once been the flat plain that Plato was speaking of. He also said that it was sheltered from the North, I am assuming he meant from the mountains?

The Internet Classics Archive

Critias:
"The consequence is, that in comparison of what then was, there are remaining only the bones of the wasted body, as they may be called, as in the case of small islands, all the richer and softer parts of the soil having fallen away, and the mere skeleton of the land being left."

This here is a very important clue as far as I'm concerned. This tells us that part of Atlantis may still remain today. Could it be the ring of Islands that we now call the Greater and Lesser Antilles?

If not then at least we have a premise to start our search. We must look for a ring of islands and then see if the rest of the details fit.

ActiveMind.com

Timaeus:
"for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars
of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass
to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean; for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a
harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless
continent."

Now this passage throws me off, could Plato be speaking of Antarctica? It is the only Continent that is surrounded by the true ocean, right? Or is there a land mass at the North pole?

Anyhow, there are some scientists that believe once not so long ago Antarctica was in a tropical location here on Earth. This hypothesis came from the findings of fossilized tropical leaves found on Antarctica.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
i have compared my findings with accounts and maps that were from past refrences to atlantis. if you watch this video it was produced to show the commonality of published documents from platos discrpition and from others in the past & what i have discovered. see how similar the only known map of atlantis looks almost identical to my island... i even flipped some of them upside down so north is south to show how much they are alike. it also funny that the images in my video i produced, I FOUND ATLANTIS ON GOOGLE EARTH the structures from that video misteriously vanished from the new and updated version of google earth you cant see them anymore.. funny though if google is trying to hide something by blocking or smearing out images in their process the left some new images or possibly focused in on something new that wasnt there before just to the left of my video it shows a giant grid like grooves in the ocean floor that look like they are man made well i dont know about you but someone needs to check out this area i found. for real there is something strange out there and i believe we have the right to know

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I see that the Atlanteans are held in high regard here. Such as having technology far more impressive than what we have now.

Building an entire civilizations infrastructure at or slightly above sea level doesn't seem all that clever to me. As they discovered themselves of course.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join