It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bail refused for Burning Australian Flag !!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I'm not Australian, but I am always opposed to a ban on flag burning. Not in this case, of course, as it was a stolen flag and he should be prosecuted for stealing it and destroying it. But in any other case, no matter where in the world, I believe people have a right to burn a flag if they want to.

And here's why. No matter how offensive something may be to someone, that doesn't mean it should be banned. People do not have the right to not be offended. Sometimes protests need a shocking thing like that to jar people into thinking about it. I'm not saying this is neccessarily the case with this thread's subject, but I'm speaking in general terms.

And, finally, from a personal viewpoint: If I were to burn a flag - which I have never done - I would not be denouncing America. I would be denouncing the government because at that point I would have absolutely no hope for it anymore. I like my country. I just don't particularly like what the government has become over the past few decades. There's a difference.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join