It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just want to point out some bias against the transit strikers...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
ok...

so i open up the paper (forgot which one sorry) yesterday to see an amazing picture of hundreds, maybe thousands, of people walking on the sidewalks and streets of new york city...

this was because of the transit strike (no subways or trains)...

then i read the caption of the picture:

"as people try to get to work to make an honest living" ... "the transit workers are striking"...

this pissed me off so much!!!

sure, those people may be trying to get an honest paycheck and whatever, but the biased caption pissed me off...

they went on strike for a good reason:

because they are not covered (insurance wise) if (for example) a passenger on the train assaults them...

and maybe because they want a pay raise, but who doesn't???

and what better time to have a transit strike than during "the holidays" (aka christmas)???

and then the mayor calls the strike "illegal" (yes it is illegal but it needed to be done i guess) and sues the MTA (?) a million dollars a day...

he is just hurting the city...

then he wants to "arrest" and "fine" individual workers...

what a big joke...

i guess this was more of a rant...

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
does anyone else feel the same way???

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This is not the first time that this type of action has been taken against transportation unions / groups.
Back in 1981, Air Traffic Controllers, in the end, the strike by the air traffic controllers cost them their jobs. The goverment placed military personel in thier place temporarily while they trained new controlers.
ATC Stike of 1981
A judge in NY ruled that the strike was in violation of the "Taylor Law" which prohibits transit workers from striking.
www.cnn.com...

Yes they are trying to better themselves like we all are, but in the marketplace today, it is not the employees that hold the power. It is the corporations and goverments that are fully aware that there are 10's of other people ready, willing and able to replace the striking workers.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm incredibly jealous that transit in NY is an essential service.

We had a strike in Vancouver that lasted 4 months!!!! Lots of lower income people lost their jobs because they couldn't get to work. I was lucky enough to have a co-worker that lived relatively close to me.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
the problem is over the last 25 years Republican leaders have made unions weaker and weaker. The hwole idea of the "Illegal strike" was that in the OLD contract for the transportation union they were forbidden to strike. FOr obvious reasons. But when the City does not negociate in good faith, the OLD contract becomes voided, and the transit workers use the only real tool they have to get what they need.

I dont know about you, but with all the Patriot act BS, and hightened secruiy, not many would be willing to work for $30,000 a year in New YOrk which is FAR below the basic living wage.

Tho the New York leadership is very good at playing the blame game, and attacking "Honest workers" who are a neccesity to the functioning of New YOrk, and trying to earn an honest living

new topics

top topics

join