It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion versus Myth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2003 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Gone through the Religious forum... I see religion vs this or religion vs that, so I have to ask:

What's the difference between religion and myth? Surely the Greeks didn't consider their gods as being mythological beings... so, is the answer that a myth WAS a religion that was replaced with a more... "powerful" belief system? This answer can't be right... because there are those who still believe in the old myths.

So is it that a myth is something, society as a whole, disagrees with? This really doesn't fit the bill, either. America, where there is supposed "freedom of religion", still regards some things as myths (and others as heresy, but another time...)

One day, will the hebrew bible be considered a simple epic story, along the lines of the Odessy?

posted on Sep, 26 2003 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Myths are the discarded remains of religions from long ago. Youre right, someday the bible will join the Oddysey and others. For now, people accept it as legitimate and real, just like the greeks once considered thier gods very real.

Myths are the leftovers of religions, one might say myth is the evolutionary fate of a religion when it grows old and dies, much like fossils and dinosaur bones are the remnants of the thunder lizards.

posted on Sep, 26 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I tend to think that "myths" are like what Skadi described 'but', also a means of relaying a story or historical event, happening, etc. Kind of along the lines of ancient legends and tales.

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 26 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   
didnt someone say once that all myths have a basis in fact?

a myth may in fact just be an increadably distorted version of fact.

top topics

join