It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MBDA Meteor begins flight trials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
As I said in the title the Meteor BVRAAM began flight trials last week in what was called an 'unprecedented' programme.

From Dec 11 trials began with a French Navy Rafale M flying from the Charles de Gaulle, the first carrier trials for the missile.

On Dec 13 a separate set of trials began with a Swedish AF SAAB Gripen while trials with an RAF 17Sqn Typhoon from Coningsby also began this week.

This is a major milestone for the weapon that will replace the AIM 120 AMRAAM as the standard BVR weapon on the Typhoon and Gripen and will aso arm the Rafale, bringing with it much improved capability for all three fighters.

Then next planned milestone is the first aerial launching of the missile which be be carried out from a Gripen in early 2006.

[

[edit on 22-12-2005 by waynos]

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
About time too, when that enters service, does it mean we will no longer have any US made missile left on active duty with the Raf? AMRAAM and sidewinder will be replaced with Meteor and ASRAAM, we use ALARM not HARM etc. i can't think of any off hard (with the possible exception of brimstone, which is a hellfire with a british seaker head attached)

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
while Brimstone is based on the Hellfire I don't think it actually uses any US content at all, There might be some Harpoon rounds with the Nimrod fleet but otherwise I think you are right and we will not hae any US missiles in service any more.

Incidentally, don't you think 'missile' is an unfortunate name for these weapons ? Wouldn't 'hittile' iinspire more confidence inb the customer?

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Incidentally, don't you think 'missile' is an unfortunate name for these weapons ? Wouldn't 'hittile' iinspire more confidence inb the customer?

Funny you should say that, Seawolf and Rapier have both been marketed as hittiles because of their high accuaracy and contact fuses. Sea wolf was so accurate in trials it took out a dinner plate sized target travelling at over 500mph. It was even known to be able to contact a 4.5" shell in flight.

new topics

top topics

join