It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shedding some light on Poverty in America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
Just to throw an opinion in the ring:

I work two jobs about 30 hours a week each. One pays $7.50/hr, the other is a serving job making 3.15/hr + tips. I am not poor, but damn do I have to work a lot to live good.
I struggled through college, paying my own way for half, taking loans for the other half. After graduation with an associates in Computer Information Systems I cannot find a job paying more money than the local Best Buy, yet I have $5500 in student loan debts that need payed. I am lucky enough to have a girl to share rent, utilities, etc...and I dont have any kids.

I couldnt imagine doing what I am doing with children, or without the second job. Thats poverty by my standards.

I get squat from Uncle Sam, because I am over the poverty line. I consider myself part of the forgotten economic spectrum; Those of us who are lucky enough to work 65 hours a week so as not to be considered poor.

Just wanted to add an overlooked perspective.

REPLY: I can't say I've been in your situation, but that doesn't mean I can't understand what you're going through. In your situation, and considering you're not married and don't have children, I'd consider using Monster or some other job service.... especially if you have any experience in Cisco systems or similar. Those jobs start at $50K plus a year.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
because people hire people and some would rather look over some because of politics or the potential of a different power base growing. They say no politics at work but I see the conservations railling away all day. dichonomy

When will most realize that the poor deserve help also like the companies that recive subsides(welfare to me!).

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
My current problem is saving enough loot to move out of the economic cesspool that is MI. If I can find a decent job with some insurance benefits I can get back into school and further my education. I have a hard time justifying taking out more student loans to further an education that has done dick for me in my area.

Relocation is expensive when you almost live paycheck to paycheck. I still hold hope in American Capitalism. I believe that if I work hard enough it will pay off. I am lucky to have a decent credit score, and I am a pretty sharp looking dude if I may say so myself. I will succeed.

[edit on 26-1-2006 by DaFunk13]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
.... I thought I replied to your post, but now I remember there was a power failure that day. Anyway, I'd be utilizing one of the many job locator services on the net, and every state has job service web pages, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find another, better paying job in your field. I know of a couple of people who have CISCO training, and they started out around $38K per year...... Good luck, Dude.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Yea, the jobs are around, just not in my area. I have enough anchoring me here financially that I have to stick it out for a bit. I am about 6 months away from being debt free, and I can move to a more prosperous area.

I wasnt complaining. Its things like this that build character. I would rather have my background of struggle and poverty than have one of luxury. I dont want a silver spoon. But thanks for the advice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join