It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain will be first country to monitor every car journey

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
Cug

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Big Brother is at it again.

Britain is to become the first country in the world where the movements of all vehicles on the roads are recorded. A new national surveillance system will hold the records for at least two years.

Using a network of cameras that can automatically read every passing number plate, the plan is to build a huge database of vehicle movements so that the police and security services can analyse any journey a driver has made over several years.

The network will incorporate thousands of existing CCTV cameras which are being converted to read number plates automatically night and day to provide 24/7 coverage of all motorways and main roads, as well as towns, cities, ports and petrol-station forecourts.

The rest of the story news.independent.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Taken from the same link

Mr Whiteley said MI5 will also use the database. "Clearly there are values for this in counter-terrorism," he said.

"The security services will use it for purposes that I frankly don't have access to. It's part of public protection. If the security services did not have access to this, we'd be negligent."

MI5 Logo

Yep i can see Big Bro`s all seeing eye

Interesting find Cug

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Scary. Very scary when the next phase of facial recoginition is also incorporated.

I wonder how much this will impact personal relationships if the data is accessible to owners of vehicles. Parents could monitor kids. Spouses could monitor each other. Accusations all around.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
All new tires being sold now are tagged and can do the same thing- Its not just Britain.

Cug

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
All new tires being sold now are tagged and can do the same thing- Its not just Britain.

Not the same thing at all.

Tire sensors are designed to monitor tire pressure and temperature and report it to the cars computer as a saftey measure. (In fact passive rfid would not work well in cars... that's what tollroad "pay passes" use a powered device) The tracking thing is pure theory and should not be confused with what is happening in Britain.

[edit on 12/22/2005 by Cug]

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
Tire sensors are designed to monitor tire pressure and temperature and report it to the cars computer as a saftey measure. (In fact passive rfid would not work well in cars...

You might have missed this thread. It may go beyond what you think.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Funny, but a few years ago I think a lot of the US saw the UK and Australia as better alternatives for those unhappy with the way things are going in the US. Seems from what I've read lately, they are taking the lead over us for such concerns.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Funny, but a few years ago I think a lot of the US saw the UK and Australia as better alternatives for those unhappy with the way things are going in the US. Seems from what I've read lately, they are taking the lead over us for such concerns.

I think were all in it together now,i used to be happy i live in Australia and not the US,but as far as the NWO is concerned we`re all one country.So our greeting to one another should be "G`Day Partner want a cup of tea and a crumpet"

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I've been waiting for this to happen for some time now, it does become rather annoying when you know it'll be used to catch you whenever you speed - and I hate having to go at the speed limit.

Saying that, I reckon the evidence will not hold up in Court and their will be a fairly large outcry once people begin to realise what is happening.

1984, 22years late.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
OnStar is just as chilling.... never being locked out of my car again vs. someone knowing my whereabouts, and that someone being able to render my auto inoperable. Another freedom traded for the sake of convenience.
I'll never buy a car with this service.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is a scary future we are heading into, i wonder just how much info these people have on me, i wont be able to walk around my house nakid soon or search he net for my mayonaise fetish without them knowing

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
I've been waiting for this to happen for some time now, it does become rather annoying when you know it'll be used to catch you whenever you speed - and I hate having to go at the speed limit.

Saying that, I reckon the evidence will not hold up in Court and their will be a fairly large outcry once people begin to realise what is happening.

But your not seeing any legal issues here, Odium?
Whats worse, the government tracking you with a physical device or a NSA site placing a couple of 'cookies'? Will the UK government issue a disclaimer, as well?

seekerof

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Wow, so this is mandatory in the UK? privacy is becoming exctinct, slowly but surely. what a shame.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
But your not seeing any legal issues here, Odium?

I never said I do or I do not.

It is fully legal as long as they stick to:
The Freedom of Information Act 2000
The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
The Human Rights Act 1998
The Data Protection Act 1998

...and within the limitations of, Peck VS United Kingdon - European Court of Human Rights and Durant-v- Financial Services Authority (Data Protection).

However, CCTV Legislation is heavily unclear at the present moment due to the fact many cases and uses of them has yet to be challenged in the Courts.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Why are the people of England putting up with this? Are they actually that cowed in?

Originally posted by dgtempe
All new tires being sold now are tagged and can do the same thing

The tires cannot be monitored at a distance.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I find this completely abhorrent.

I can see how they will play this thing on TV news as well, that's how predictible it all feels these days.

The 'if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to worry about' excuse is *always* the first card to be played. Followed by some recent news article or skewed statistics which explain how this sort of surveillance would help the police - probably some sort of child kidnapping situation - it's always the best way of getting public support, by pulling on the parental heart-strings.

Anyone who has a problem with it is automatically stigmatised as uncaring, and devious, since they have something to hide in not wanting to allow their every single move monitored, recorded and sold.

Sooner or later, all this surveillance is going to come to a singular point, when 'they' want to cut costs and consolidate information, distribution and technology, and that will surely be the microchip that people have been banging on and on about for years.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I see no major problem with it.

Cameras watching the motorways, A roads as well as the Towns will be a good thing as long as they stick to the rules that we have in place to protect the people. If they stick to these than it'll be a good thing.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Just another step closer to what we saw in Minority Report, with the car being "locked down", etc.....

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I don't see anything in the article saying they will be placing something "In" the car, but rather that CCTV cameras will be changed to more clearly pick up the plates.

Which they have been doing for a while.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
I don't see anything in the article saying they will be placing something "In" the car, but rather that CCTV cameras will be changed to more clearly pick up the plates.

No, but it's a step closer to such a scenario, like Gazrok said.

'They' have a 'softly, softly' approach to bringing in things like this, it seems to me.

The old metaphor of a frog in a pot of cold water is apt to all the eroding of civil liberties, privacy and freedom that we've seen these passing years - You know, put a frog in boiling water, he'll jump straight back out, put him cold water, and gradually increase the heat, he won't notice until it's too late.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Wellllllllllllllllllllllll...............

WE'RE SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDD

damn

top topics

<<   2 >>

join