It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenpeace vs Japanese whalers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
In another move to shed light upon Japans apparent disregard for declining whale populations, Greenpeace have been harassing Japanese Whalers while the Australian government says there actions could be counter productive...

news.syd.ninemsn.com.au...

In my opinion, in this day and age, the international community should have a policy of zero tolerance towards countries flaunting our environment. Scientific research........ my backside.

What do you think?

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
We (Australia) also had to heli-lift a sick crew member off one of the boats before they reached the port of Hobart.
This stopped the refuelling (which they wanted) of one of their fleet.

But you're right, you only need 1 or 2 whales for research. Not heaps of 1 species (which is endangored).
Also what do they do with them once they have finished their "research"?
More than storing them I'm guessing.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
You must understand its part of their culture. The Japanese are very proud of their culture and its not gonna be easy to get them to stop whaling. Same with Norway, whaling is still legal in Norway and its also part of their culture.

I dislike Greenpeace for personal reasons I'd rather not go into.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by Kacen]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by llama009
But you're right, you only need 1 or 2 whales for research. Also what do they do with them once they have finished their "research"?
More than storing them I'm guessing.

There have been dna tests done on whale meat found for sale in Japanese food stores that matched that of a whale they killed for 'research'.
As for pride standing in the way of changing harmful behaviour, that is not pride, it is belligerance.

top topics

join